Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I tried to Red Dot on a pistol before with mixed results. wasn't the best Red Dot you could get the early Romeo zero and they kind of ended up having some issues..

well I done it again I jumped in a little deeper we'll see what these results come out...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pic upload

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tell us what you really think only after say 1000 rounds,

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by domit
tell us what you really think only after say 1000 rounds,
I kind of figured that
my preliminary thought they will be quite fun on a range/match/fun gun.

the CCW type gun I'm a little bit don't know..

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I recommend a lot of dry fire practice to acclimate yourself to finding the quickly. It took a good amount of that for me to become comfortable with the change over. Others might feel different but that’s my experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have enough experience with mine to love them yet. I suspect it will take a while. I have been thinking about a Shadow Systems. I am interested in how you like it.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It took me a couple tries to really appreciate the dots but once I forced myself to stick with it and got some help, I really like them. It’s all about indexing the pistol from the draw. Once I got that down it really made me better with my irons too.

Dry fire helped a lot. Now I shoot both eyes open and focused on the targets. I shoot Glocks, a S&W revolver and a Ruger 22/45 all with dots and different grip angles and the dots just appear on target.

Put in the work and they are worth it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I don't have enough experience with mine to love them yet. I suspect it will take a while. I have been thinking about a Shadow Systems. I am interested in how you like it.
well as you can see mine is just the Foundation line so it's nothing fancy. it's pretty much a Glock with a dress on I guess you could say.. the slide and all's nicer the interchangeable back straps slide on you can get Miguel's form that easily go on but also included in the fancier models.
standard cut rifling not polygons.
the rifling is deep cut looks good looks real good.
so far I haven't shot it and have to make a fair assessment.
the trigger is flat-faced but feels exactly like a Glock.
the elite and better series are supposed to have better triggers and the shoe was also aluminum on the higher end stuff where this one is just plastic.
to my understanding and the appearance of all internals are interchangeable with Glock. the optic cut on the slide as well thought out and well done with lots of options. the owner's manual is probably the best owner's manual I've ever seen come with the firearm. the back side is metal and just blacked out the front side is metal with a white dot. and they are tall enough to still use with the optic on.
really don't know what else to say tonight I'm going to shoot it and try to get the optic adjusted and sighted in..
that might give me a better idea on how accurate it is or maybe I should say how accurate I am with it cuz I'm sure that's the limiting factor.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I got the iron sights sorted out on my Tisas double-stack, then added the red dot sight, and since I had the irons pretty well sorted, I just lined up the dot with the irons, made a few elevation adjustments, and I was good to go. Having iron sights on the pistol helped me out a lot, in getting the dot sight zeroed. I think it's a great idea to have the co-witnessed sight, especially if your battery dies, or you forget to turn it on, or any similar brain hiccups.

Those who run red dots only, without backup irons, are skating on thin ice, in my book. Of course, I'm old, and distrustful of things with batteries.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If you started with iron sighted handguns, and have lived with them (as an avid shooter) for ten years or more, the chances are slim to none that you will became adequately acclimated to the red dot system absent an exclusive switchover, combined with hundreds of hours of actual range time. Then, the advantage will mainly be at distance, rather than at typical defensive shooting ranges. Then you have to worry about battery life, electronics failure, and things like fogging, dirt obstruction, etc..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My eyes are getting to the point where a red dot is almost a must for good accuracy. They look a little weird on revolvers but I get over it pretty quick when 5 round go into the size of a tennis ball at 50 yards. They even make shooting smallish targets (rock chucks) at 100yards doable. Much easier to deal with than scopes for me.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

FWIW: Revolver in pic is for sale. PM me if interested in a SBH 44Mag.

Last edited by centershot; 04/16/24.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"If you started with iron sighted handguns, and have lived with them (as an avid shooter) for ten years or more, the chances are slim to none that you will became adequately acclimated to the red dot system..."

TRH, be careful with those absolute statements. That may be your experience, but it certainly isn't everyone's.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I have an MR920L Elite and my son has a DR Elite and a CR Elite pair of Shadow Systems pistols. Between the three we certainly have 10k rounds through them. Zero issues. Really like the Shadow Systems pistols to the point my Glock and M&P don't see much use nowadays. A Sig XMacro Comp also helped push the others to the back of the safe.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
If you started with iron sighted handguns, and have lived with them (as an avid shooter) for ten years or more, the chances are slim to none that you will became adequately acclimated to the red dot system absent an exclusive switchover, combined with hundreds of hours of actual range time. Then, the advantage will mainly be at distance, rather than at typical defensive shooting ranges. Then you have to worry about battery life, electronics failure, and things like fogging, dirt obstruction, etc..
I'm 59 years old and have been shooting handguns with irons since I was 13 and bought my first High Standard Double 9 in 22LR. I went on to centerfire autos such as the CZ PCR, Sig 228, Glocks, M&P's, 1911's and shot thousands of rounds with iron sights. Tried my first dot and bounced back and forth until I made a commitment to learn and I did. I shoot more than most in competitions and on practice days. But if you have half a brain and are willing to learn, they will improve your shooting at all ranges.

I've seen more irons fail than I have quality red dots. Dawson front sight snapped off at the base from recoil, seen several fiber optic rods go MIA. Had a Trijicon HD lose it's florescent orange color, Ameriglo sights had a bad run of shifting in the dovetail on Glocks.

Batteries get changed once a year on my birthday and I've not had one go down yet. Fog, lint, dirt and whatever else you can make up has not been a problem. If you don't shoot or put in the effort, you shouldn't assume everyone else is stuck in the same rut. Dot's are worth the effort.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'll take a high speed, low drag, option, personally, rather than attaching all kinds of electronics to my defensive handgun in the hope of compensating for lack of skill.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
LOL

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'll take a high speed, low drag, option, personally, rather than attaching all kinds of electronics to my defensive handgun in the hope of compensating for lack of skill.

You are also a cheap bastard. Red dots are the way to go.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by MOGC
"If you started with iron sighted handguns, and have lived with them (as an avid shooter) for ten years or more, the chances are slim to none that you will became adequately acclimated to the red dot system..."

TRH, be careful with those absolute statements. That may be your experience, but it certainly isn't everyone's.

NULL set-- the only absolute is there are no absolutes.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Been using dots since they came out 40 years ago.. First Aimpoints had the windage and elevation adjustments in the mount. Should think of them as just another option. Same thing that no single handgun is best for everything.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Iron sights fail more than people think, they just don't shoot enough to see it. (sorry)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Etoh
Iron sights fail more than people think, they just don't shoot enough to see it. (sorry)

Yep. And in all sorts of ways, from just a nuisance to critical failure, making them impossible to use in any way.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,150
Posts18,484,227
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.