Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am looking at buying a new NightForce SHV scope in 3.5X10X42 with a second focal plane reticule. I will be using this on my M7 Remington 358 Win for hogs in Texas. Shooting over bait at most perhaps 100 yards in very dim light. I have never owned a NightForce in my 77 years. I am interested in hearing opinions about my proposed purchase.

Rolly
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Rolly
I am looking at buying a new NightForce SHV scope in 3.5X10X42 with a second focal plane reticule. I will be using this on my M7 Remington 358 Win for hogs in Texas. Shooting over bait at most perhaps 100 yards in very dim light. I have never owned a NightForce in my 77 years. I am interested in hearing opinions about my proposed purchase.

I have done this with a 308. In my case, a bunch of hogs were jostling each other near the feeder so I cranked the power up to 5-6x so I could clearly see what was going on before I fired. You’ll want to keep the illumination as low as possible. Bobby Tomek has a lot of great posts on how to use optics in low-light hunting.

I think the SHV is pretty much perfect for the task. It makes a light rifle top heavy, but that’s the only downside I can think of.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the illuminated Forceplex reticle in that scope and have used it on a few rifles. Last season, I shot this guy at very last light in a dark creek bottom, spotting just his rack moving in my binoculars. I turned on the illumination as I shouldered the rifle and still had to wait for him to make a step so I could see where his front legs were to line up the shot. I don't think I could have taken the shot without such a reticle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'd take a look at the Trijicon 3-9X Accupoint with the green post reticle. They are fairly light with great optics and known for being reliable. I have one on my 375 H&H that will be heading to Alaska in a few months.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would opt for something with a wider fov.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
I'd take a look at the Trijicon 3-9X Accupoint with the green post reticle. They are fairly light with great optics and known for being reliable. I have one on my 375 H&H that will be heading to Alaska in a few months.
Yeah, the Trijicon is lighter than the SHV, I have both. My Trijicon is a duplex with lighted dot. My good bud has a post reticle Trijicon on his .416 Rem, M-70. Either reticle will work, the duplex is probably better suited for precise work; I think the post is faster.

I was able to get very close shots sighting in his .416 at 65 yds, so the post can be pretty precise, just not as precise as the duplex for target or longer range shooting.

Trijicon on my Pre-64 .358 Win JES bored FWT.

SHV on a 700 Creed for comparison. This SHV not illuminated but they look the same.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will add that I recently moved that SHV from my shorty suppressed 7-08 CVA back to my 6.5CM Sig Cross, but only because I picked up another Accupoint green dot for the 7-08. Both are great options.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The SHV NightFarce Light is an easy pass. Go REAL NightFarce and never look back. Hint.

I'm not a Trijicon Guy,mainly because I've bought/shot their BEST attempts. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
pretty much anything will work for that. that model SHV is fine, I would NOT get the MOAR reticle. i love the MOAR just not in the 10x max mag models. maybe one of the japanese made tracts would work too. oh on edit, call doug and get a meopta optika 5 2-10

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 04/15/24.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Meopta 2-10 would be one to look at.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had what I felt was the perfect scope for my Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. It was the same SHV you are considering. It had the illuminated force plex.

I was twisting the turret to shoot it out to 300 yards with a 320 gr Fury bullet and then returning it to zero at 100 with plenty of shots in between at a steel plates in the desert. It was working quite well for several sessions. Then the scope's elevation turret suddenly died. It would not return to zero or place the POI where I wanted it at various distances. I called Nightforce and was flat out told it was my rifle certainly NOT THEIR PRODUCT!!!! As a control I placed a SWFA HD 5-20 x 50 on the rifle and it was back in business. It was too bad as I really thought the scope was perfect for my use on that rifle.

FYI I got my cow elk with that SWFA at 225 yd that year. You have better results with your rifle as it won't recoil anywhere near as much as that MZ does.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Optika6's were pieces of fhuqking schit and Reupold-esque in their "tracking". Hint.

Just sayin'...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
My Optika6's were pieces of fhuqking schit and Reupold-esque in their "tracking". Hint.

Just sayin'...........
he needs a set and forget it scope. for that the optika's should be fine. I wouldn't use one for a heavy dialer either.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

The SHV NightFarce Light is an easy pass. Go REAL NightFarce and never look back. Hint.

I'm not a Trijicon Guy,mainly because I've bought/shot their BEST attempts. Hint.............

Concur on skipping the SHV and move up in the line to the NXS or NX8.

Illumination is extremely helpful, I would not want a scope without it for hunting pigs.

I've shot truck loads of pigs off of feeders and ag fields with the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 and NXS 5.5-22x56.

There is no need for the .358, although it certainly is more than enough for the task.

The ability to reliably put the bullet at the base of the ear matters more than power. If you are going to aim for the shoulder or heart, moving up to a heavier bullet helps. Use a bullet that penetrates reliably.

These days, I mostly use the NXS 2.5-10x42 atop a light .308 with an 18" barrel, a can, and Barnes TTSX 130's though have shot 100's with the 175 SMK too.

Bring a cooler with you, the meat is quite good and I am no fan of pork from the store.

Here are some videos for you, courtesy of my wife and a nephew doing the shooting, both using a NXS 5.5-22x56.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by EdM
Yeah, the Trijicon is lighter than the SHV, I have both. My Trijicon is a duplex with lighted dot. My good bud has a post reticle Trijicon on his .416 Rem, M-70. Either reticle will work, the duplex is probably better suited for precise work; I think the post is faster.

I was able to get very close shots sighting in his .416 at 65 yds, so the post can be pretty precise, just not as precise as the duplex for target or longer range shooting.

Trijicon on my Pre-64 .358 Win JES bored FWT.

SHV on a 700 Creed for comparison. This SHV not illuminated but they look the same.

DF

OP says 100 yards max.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Just sayin'...........
he needs a set and forget it scope. for that the optika's should be fine. I wouldn't use one for a heavy dialer either.

cumsincowboys,

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will always be BEST served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep installing hose clamps in Playgrounds,you Magnificently Stupid Fhuqk. There are no "Set And Forget" scopes,that is a contrived Drooler's Notion(s). If schit don't track or repeat,rest assured it will NOT fhuqking hold zero either. Now even you "know". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just sayin'...........

cumsincowboys,

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will always be BEST served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep installing hose clamps in Playgrounds,you Magnificently Stupid Fhuqk. There are no "Set And Forget" scopes,that is a contrived Drooler's Notion(s). If schit don't track or repeat,rest assured it will NOT fhuqking hold zero either. Now even you "know". Hint.

Freaking killing me LOL Stick you magnificent bastid...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just sayin'...........

cumsincowboys,

big stick, false. I lapped the hell out of the rings in my scope fixture and which allowed me to set the scope only in the bottom half of the rings and I could get it to RTZ taking it in and out of the rings. this allowed me to do various things to the scope. Drop it from 2 feet onto a park table. use it as a club on a plastic trash can. wrap the palm of my hand with the objective bell. NOTHING I could do would get my optika 5 to move zero. in fact when impacting the scope on 9 o clock onto the palm of my hand, IE right against the leaf spring inside the erector. I could actually feel the spring compressing and the erector slap inside the scope! still no zero shift. if you think about this, its makes sense. unless something breaks inside the scope it should hold zero. The erector is held under spring tension against the turret adjusters. Its not a scope that I feel as a dialing scope, I honestly don't remember why I felt that way or what the scope did, I didn't buy it as a dialer. after what I did to it, I trust it as set and forget.

big stick might be subtly smart in ways you have to search to find. but some other people aint stupid either.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
cumsincowboys,

Your compelling Lap Dance and Judy Chop "testing",while yelling "get some!",nearly almost involved a live round...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?.

Pardon reality. Hint.

Keep filling out Brokedick Hurt Feeler Reports and quantifying your Professional Victim status,you Magnificently CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint.

You couldn't "critique" bottled water,even if you could summons the strength to open it by yourself. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You couldn't "critique" bottled water,even if you could summons the strength to open it by yourself. Hint.

Coffee out the nose….

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,110
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.