Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tried to send a gun because the buyer wanted ups. UPS store will not send guns. My question what is the appeal of ups or fedex? The problem is either will take a week for the package to arrive. The post office would be 3 days max. The post office is easier to use because they are in most towns. Is it just a corporate thing? Corporations get discounted shipping? I don’t get why you would use either when the shipping time is pretty much twice as long. Educate me! Oh yeah fedex is the worst about not meeting shipping estimate days. Sometimes days late. I have purposely not bought at places that forced fed ex.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know about UPS or Fedex, but I've heard some horror stories about trying to get a damage claim paid by the PO.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take your chances with the post office. It’s N.O.O

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You’ve been living under a rock. Everyone knows a UPS store won’t ship firearms. You gotta go to a “hub” . The biannual shipping a gun thread here always brings it up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Will they pick them up at your door step. They used to pick mine up but that was a long time ago. I haven’t shipped a gun in 2 or three years.

Thanks, Billy
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
DAYS late?

perish the thought!

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
All of my mail (USPS), that's other than local, goes through/comes through Birmingham, AL. That hellhole is almost as bad as Memphis where most mail goes to disappear forever. Right now I have a powder scale that made it to Birmingham and left there late the next morning to get to my local PO. It arrived at my local PO Thursday after my mail lady had already headed out on the route. My scale never moved until Sunday when it was sent to another town, 45 miles east of me where it still is, according to tracking. I don't know when to if I will get the scale. On an outgoing note, I bought a shotgun on GB about 2 months ago. Mailed a USPS MO in Priority Mail with tracking to the FFL in Michigan. It tracked from my local PO to Birmingham the next day. It never moved from Birmingham for 10 days. 14 days after I mailed it, the FFL in Michigan got it........USPS SUCKS!!!!

Last edited by WileyC; 04/15/24.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't know about UPS or Fedex, but I've heard some horror stories about trying to get a damage claim paid by the PO.
Yeah, ask Bluefish about HIS experience....

Don't bother with USPS "insurance"... They LOVE to get your premium, but REFUSE to pay virtually anything..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just FYI, yes you will have to go to the UPS Hub, but that is just to drop the box off...Use SHIP MY GUN, my experiences have been great...they are an "arm" of BUD'S GUNS, everyone I have talked to or emailed with has been great, and until I have a less than perfect experience with them I will continue to recommend SMG...price to insure and ship seems a little less(10-15%) than USPS...my only unknown is how the insurance will measure up...hopefully I never find out. 7 shipments in the last 30 days and counting

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
Will they pick them up at your door step. They used to pick mine up but that was a long time ago. I haven’t shipped a gun in 2 or three years.

It is this easy !

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two years ago, I boxed up 3 books to send to an old Army Buddy who lives in Minnesota.
I took them to the post office, paid $10 or $12, and got a tracking number. Three days later I got a notification that they were delivered, so I called Gary.
They weren’t delivered to him, and the post office didn’t know where the books were delivered to, just that they were delivered!🤬
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Because the post office is staffed by a bunch of government, no-load civil servants and there is even LESS recourse for claims if they f uck something up.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Former f-i-l, a cousin, and several personal friends work or retired from UPS. they took good care of me.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Fedex is 100 miles south, UPS is 38 miles north, USPS is the big silver box at the intersection of my road and the highway. Plus, the postmistress and route contractor are intelligent, helpful and cheerful. What's not to like?
Unrelated but by the way, UPS driver said freight volume is down 40% from a year ago...the junior drivers are getting laid off...the Biden economy?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The local PO people are good. Small town types. It's the big handling centers where the problems are. They're getting known for theft, too, besides crappy handling of people's mail and packages.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tophorsecop
Just FYI, yes you will have to go to the UPS Hub, but that is just to drop the box off...Use SHIP MY GUN, my experiences have been great...they are an "arm" of BUD'S GUNS, everyone I have talked to or emailed with has been great, and until I have a less than perfect experience with them I will continue to recommend SMG...price to insure and ship seems a little less(10-15%) than USPS...my only unknown is how the insurance will measure up...hopefully I never find out. 7 shipments in the last 30 days and counting

This, for years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
USPS shipping to my area has been problematic at best. Everything comes in or out of the North Houston package center and it is a cesspool of disorganization and theft. I have personally had 2 long guns go missing there. Packages also tend to go off the radar when arriving there with as much as 7 days of tracking silence. I avoid USPS like the plague when possible.

As for the others, Amazon’s shift to utilizing their own fleet is going to crush the industry. An increasingly greater % of all retail is going through Amazon thus they will continue to impact who succeeds or fails in the shipping space.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
USPS sucks here.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

The entire industry pays out only 2% of the claims that people paid for insurance on. Doesn't matter the carrier.
Most folks don't know that the US Post Office's largest customer is Fed Ex, and Fed Ex's largest customer in the US Post Office. Now even UPS works with the US Post Office in getting packages to their destinations as cheap as possible.

If a private UPS station refuses to ship a firearm, its their decision not to send it, not UPS, Fed Ex's or the Post Office itself.
They will ship it, if your package is done to their legal standards for shipping it. When I have shipped a firearm/Rifle, I normally pull the bolt out of it, so its inoperative. So it is shipped as Gun Parts. I ship the bolt to the firearm the next day to the same recipient, some times by a different carrier, such as the Post Office.

If it is a lever action, I pull the firing pin and ship that separately. I've worked around shipping as part of the jobs I've had, for quite a few decades. Back in the 80s, I even designed the set up for commercial corporate shipping departments as part of my job.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We only use USPS and FeD Ex for work business. . UPS is not an option for us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (B52RadarNav, 44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,150
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.