Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/uber-d...am-brock-loletha-hall-clark-county-ohio/

CRIME
Uber driver shot and killed by 81-year-old Ohio man after both received scam calls, police say
By S. Dev

April 16, 2024 / 7:34 PM EDT / CBS News

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

An 81-year-old Ohio man has been charged with murder after allegedly shooting an Uber driver who thought she was picking up a package from the man's house. Both appeared to have been victims of scam phone calls, the Clark County Sheriff's Office said in a news release.

The Uber driver, Loletha Hall, was found shot multiple times near 81-year-old William Brock's South Charleston home on March 25. Brock, who had called 911, had an injury to his head and ear and was bleeding when police arrived, according to a police report.

Investigators discovered that Brock had earlier received a scam call about an incarcerated relative, which had involved threats and demands for money.

An unknown man told Brock over the phone he needed to pay $12,000 to get his nephew out of jail, according to a police report. Brock told police the caller threatened to kill him and his nephew if he didn't pay the ransom, the report said.

The same caller, or an accomplice, later hired Hall using the Uber app to pick up a package from Brock's residence, according to investigators. Hall was not aware that Brock had been threatened, the sheriff's office. said.

"Ms. Hall, suffering from medical conditions and unarmed, made no threats or assaults toward Mr. Brock, and made no demands, other than to ask about the package she was sent to retrieve," the sheriff's office said.

Brock allegedly held Hall at gunpoint and demanded to know the identities of the people who had called him. He also took Hall's phone and refused to allow her to leave, officials said, adding that Brock did not try to call police at this point.

When Hall tried to get back into her vehicle, Brock allegedly shot her, and there was a "subsequent scuffle at the door of Ms. Hall's vehicle," the sheriff's office said. Brock then allegedly shot her two more times, before calling 911.

Brock is charged with murder, which carries a penalty of 15 years to life in prison, court records showed. Police are considering other charges. Brock pleaded not guilty, and bail was set at $200,000, court records showed.

Officials are still searching for the scam callers.

"The Clark County Sheriff's Office would like to take the opportunity to again remind residents, especially our older citizens, that no Law Enforcement Agency or Court will make contact with anyone in the manner of this case to solicit cash for bail," the office said, urging residents "to use extreme caution when being contacted unexpectedly by subjects claiming to be relatives incarcerated in a correctional facility."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's difficult to imagine how someone could possibly be as stupid as that man. Needs to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Condolences to the family of the woman that moron murdered.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What’s he got, maybe 5 years?

And they ain’t gonna be good ones.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The phone callers need to charged with accessory to murder!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Heym06
The phone callers need to charged with accessory to murder!
OK.

Here, here.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
What’s he got, maybe 5 years?

And they ain’t gonna be good ones.

Maybe they will be.

He had probably been waiting a long time to exact his revenge on the boomer generation, who destroyed the country he loves. He obviously learned to shoot a pistol before Jeff Cooper caught on so this has been simmering a while, but that day he grabbed his trusty single action and turned his wrath loose on one of them.

He can go to his grave knowing he pleased both his ancestors and many generations of his progeny.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This place has become moron central

Coyotes shot no waiting.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Oh wow

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I got one of those calls a couple of weeks ago. After I told the caller to f#ck off and hung up, I regretted not trying to lure the caller into some sort of retribution. Probably just as well I didn't.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just. Damn.

Evil bastards in this world aplenty.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Because Old people always fall for the nephew in jail bullshît, then shoot the first person they see with a heritage revolver from Academy

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Public records and the internet are making these scams easier to do.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
This place has become moron central

Nailed it.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I blame our legal system.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Alan_C
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Always indoors, you always bring your sister into this !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (35, Angus1895, 44mc, 10Glocks, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 12 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,152
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.