Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Prevention is the best cure. Pull up your pants leg, spray the area between the tops of your shoes, socks and any bare skin between the tops of your socks and the knees. Then drop your pants legs and spray the lower half of your pants legs. Then when you get home take a shower and thoroughly scrub everything below the waist.

When we were kids we got a dose of lighter fluid on the bites to kill the red bugs. I know by the time that happens the chiggers are already gone but that was the home grown remedy at the time.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys that are saying they are already gone after they bite you, are wrong. They will dig in like a tick. Then when you scratch them, they just move to another spot. One time I had to pull them off om my son's nut sack with a pair of tweezers. They were like ticks. If the little f uckers were a half inch long, they would rule the world. I do believe a beach bath helps a lot. But getting them off of you is the best. And you might need help! LOL!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
An ounce of prevention.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
https://chiggerex.com/

I have done the bleach bath, wiped the bite w alcohol and everything else. The medication works best for me.

Almost three full pages before someone suggested it. Chiggerex is what I use and it works. One container lasts a long time too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chiggerid... like clear nail polish, but thicker & more flexible... didn't stop the itch though... 2 or 3 days My Ass!, 2 weeks of Hell!... 200+ bites, covered from mid chest down with Arkysaw Chiggers... fever, lost 15 lbs... helpful lady from the state office told me to take an epsom salt bath & wash my clothes as soon as possible next time i think i might have been exposed to them miserable sonsabitches... oz of prevention worth 10 pounds of cure...

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
https://chiggerex.com/

I have done the bleach bath, wiped the bite w alcohol and everything else. The medication works best for me.
10% BENZOCAINE!
😳

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They’re less than 0.5mm long, and they actually feed on your inner skin. Note Slum’s reference to the stylostome.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombicula

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylostome

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Brown Mule chewing tobacco!

Yepp... Or Cope in a pinch.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
You guys that are saying they are already gone after they bite you, are wrong. They will dig in like a tick. Then when you scratch them, they just move to another spot. One time I had to pull them off om my son's nut sack with a pair of tweezers. They were like ticks. If the little f uckers were a half inch long, they would rule the world. I do believe a beach bath helps a lot. But getting them off of you is the best. And you might need help! LOL!
You were probably dealing with seed ticks. We used to have them bad but the fire ants showed up and the seed ticks disappeared. Not near as many big ticks either.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
+1 for clear fingernail polish--- itching stops almost immediately and its gone in a couple days

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found the best remedy to chiggers is to move.

Pretty sure they're proof that God has a sense of humor.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

JFC

what time does Wagon Trail come on?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chiggers don't burrow in. They bite, inject saliva that dissolve skin cell which they feed on.

The itch is an allergic reaction to their saliva.

Anyway, I just put on hand sanitizer, the alcohol type. It seems to reduce the itch, and helps heal the bite area.

Ymmv

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A good coating of earwax seems to get rid of em rite quick!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fingerrnail polish helps. I think it stops clothes from brushing against the bite sites and irritating them.

Chigger rid is pretty good. Use whatever works for you on them but a dose of antihistamine will really help- especially when trying to sleep.

Last edited by kenjs1; 04/17/24.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
^^^^^

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited by renegade50; 04/17/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Prevention is the best cure. Pull up your pants leg, spray the area between the tops of your shoes, socks and any bare skin between the tops of your socks and the knees. Then drop your pants legs and spray the lower half of your pants legs. Then when you get home take a shower and thoroughly scrub everything below the waist.

When we were kids we got a dose of lighter fluid on the bites to kill the red bugs. I know by the time that happens the chiggers are already gone but that was the home grown remedy at the time.
Permethrin is the best. Pretreatment clothing, this means boots, socks, pants and let dry.

This stuff beats anything deet by a long shot.

Picardin if you want something right on the skin.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
I found the best remedy to chiggers is to move.

Pretty sure they're proof that God has a sense of humor.
Problem is they're almost worldwide.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to get them all of the time as a child in the Everglades, dad gave me Kwell lotion (Permethrin is a medication and an insecticide.[3][4] As a medication, it is used to treat scabies and lice.[5] It is applied to the skin as a cream or lotion.[3] As an insecticide, it can be sprayed onto outer clothing or mosquito nets to kill the insects that touch them.[4][6])

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I used to get them all of the time as a child in the Everglades, dad gave me Kwell lotion (Permethrin is a medication and an insecticide.[3][4] As a medication, it is used to treat scabies and lice.[5] It is applied to the skin as a cream or lotion.[3] As an insecticide, it can be sprayed onto outer clothing or mosquito nets to kill the insects that touch them.[4][6])
Repels the hell out of them too.

I combine permethrin, picardin and my Thermacell when spring turkey hunting or squirrel hunting in early summer. Rarely have issues with flying or crawling biting insects.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (69sportfury, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.