Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
A trip to a big store like HD or Lowes for me involves a 25-30 mile round trip, so 1.5-2 gallons of gas, plus my time. Add to that the uncertainty about what’s actually in stock, and the difficulty of getting someone, anyone, on the phone that can and will help, and online with free shipping is a good bet. Same goes for the shotshells I buy on a regular basis. Last ones I bought locally, an even longer trip, were $100 a case. I can almost always get them cheaper and dropped on my porch to boot. I’ve done very well buying parts for my truck on Amazon, and they know what I drive and offer the correct stuff, every time so far.

Exactly.. I buy local whenever I can, but Amazon saves me a lot of bux due to not having to drive to a Home Depot (20 miles one way) not to mention the price of fuel and depreciation.. Shipping is free and they have a 'fulfillment' depot within 25 miles.. Often items arrive next day. I had to order a new printer yesterday, and it'll be here tomorrow.. Same price as the HP store but I get it faster and with free shipping....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Price a couple like mine ( 32nds and 64ths on one side, tenths and hundredths on the other), that say Starrett or Brown and Sharpe on them. You won't feel so bad.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Honestly, unless I need something right now (which I try to avoid) it makes a lot more sense for me to just order it online when I'm sitting here thinking about it than it does to go start up the truck and spend an hour or more of my life driving back and forth to the store, looking around the store, and putting up with all the bullschitt that cranky old bastards like myself hate just to save a few bucks.

The strategy mentioned above of shopping stuff online then waiting a few days for them to start making offers, and offering discounts is a good way to take advantage of the fact that they track all your activities. I spent a couple of days shopping for a pair of shoes to wear to the stepson's graduation next month, then let it rest a couple of days. Today I got a pop up add from the shoe company I was most interested in offering a one day sale....I saved $75 on a pair of shoes.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Pappy348
A trip to a big store like HD or Lowes for me involves a 25-30 mile round trip, so 1.5-2 gallons of gas, plus my time. Add to that the uncertainty about what’s actually in stock, and the difficulty of getting someone, anyone, on the phone that can and will help, and online with free shipping is a good bet. Same goes for the shotshells I buy on a regular basis. Last ones I bought locally, an even longer trip, were $100 a case. I can almost always get them cheaper and dropped on my porch to boot. I’ve done very well buying parts for my truck on Amazon, and they know what I drive and offer the correct stuff, every time so far.

Exactly.. I buy local whenever I can, but Amazon saves me a lot of bux due to not having to drive to a Home Depot (20 miles one way) not to mention the price of fuel and depreciation.. Shipping is free and they have a 'fulfillment' depot within 25 miles.. Often items arrive next day. I had to order a new printer yesterday, and it'll be here tomorrow.. Same price as the HP store but I get it faster and with free shipping....

And when you shop at HD or Lowes you're not really shopping "local." Yeah, they've got some local people working there, but so do FEDEX, UPS and UDPS.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The "New", Sears catalog

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The "New", Sears catalog

But a whole lot faster. Back in the days when mail order was really mail order sometimes, by the time you got something, you'd forgotten what you'd ordered. When they said, allow 4 - 6 weeks for delivery, they weren't kidding.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you need to return something purchased on HD online, you can return it at any HD store... very convenient...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Amazon is Amazon... But you need to shop the item for price there too.

Here's one for less money than HD, that I pulled up in less than a minute.

Of course many don't do anything there but click "Buy Now" on the first one that comes along.... wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Amazon has been hi as giraffe nuts lately

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The big thing with Amazon is convenience.
I have found alot of things that are over priced unless you dig as Barry mentioned.
And alot of the items are Cheeny suppliers,and of poor quality

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I was comparing apples to apples. This ruler is about the same but it's a different brand. The Amazon & HD prices I compared were exactly the same item, Empire brand, made in India.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I was comparing apples to apples. This ruler is about the same but it's a different brand. The Amazon & HD prices I compared were exactly the same item, Empire brand, made in India.

Gotcha, yeah, I'm particular to detail when I shop there too.

Mostly I use them to avoid driving over 50 miles round trip to town, when it can be delivered to my parcel box in a day or two.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just recently learned if I know I'm buying something at HD, to check their website first.

I burnt up my old handheld router and needed a new one. Have a few Dewalt batteries and they had one without battery for $179. The website said there was a free powerpack battery ($219, their new battery) but the store said nothing about it. I showed it to an associate on my phone and so he told me to try it. When they rang it up, sure enough it was free.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I feel bad for the amount of money we spend on ordering stuff from out of town. Wish we could actually find it local in the first place and have it right now and/or if buying in bulk, wish we could get a reasonably close deal.

One Amazon order today, a long handled 5/64th hex wrench and a Wiha torx and torx plus set.

And 24 gallons of 5w-40 Rotella from walmart. Saved $170 on that deal alone versus local. Feel like an [bleep] but I can't not un-save that much money.

And of course some more ammo that you can't find in town.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'd like to buy more local but many of things we want aren't available locally. It either online or a long drive.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
learned my lesson about ordering from HD... ordered some cabinets for a rental remodel

only heard about the first delivery...2nd delivery was leaving one day and there were cabinets on the front step, didn't even ring the f'n doorbell

the last 2 cabinets were left on the front step and were stolen before i got to the job the next time.

Now I order RTA cabinets to a commercial address and no lack of communication or theft issues...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When you order something from Amazon, EBAY, or Powder Valley….isn’t that the same as self checkout???

???

Oh my gawd, get a coat hanger and burn a brand into your arm.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 56 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.