Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
szihn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Look at this correspondence between me and Dillon Reloading.
#1.
I need a new primer system for my 550B. I have been fussing with now for near a year and no matter how many times I try to get it working it still refuses to stop sticking and twisting. I have called customer support and followed along with the verbal instructions but to no avail. In fairness I have used my 550B to load many many 5 gallon buckets clear full of 45 ACP, 9MM and 223, and also many thousands of rounds for 14 other calibers in the last 18 years or so, and until about 16 months ago it worked quite well, but now there is so much slop----not just side to side but also with a twisting motion that the slide arms simply stick and no amount of cleaning or lube helps at all. The arms now not only twists on the angle of a clock hand (when viewed from the top,) but also like a rolling log if viewed from the rear. The whole unit is simply worn out.

So, can I get a new primer system?

Please e-mail me back and let me know because at the same time I'd love to purchase a few extra things to be shipped at the same time. I'd love to get the upgraded pin for the spent primer chute.
Also a set of Pyramex Safety glasses and a set of Amber Bomber glasses.
And also, can I buy some of the "pick-up-tips" (or what ever they are called) that go on the ends of the primer pickup tubes? I have 6 large and 6 small size tubes and today of the 12 tubes I have only 3 will pick up and hold the weights of more than about 15 -30 primers. They have become worn out too.
On 4/19/2024 11:59 AM, Dillon Precision wrote:

Hi S,
I would suggest sending the machine in for a clean and lube service for $85.00.
The service dept. will strip, vat, inspect for broken and worn parts, clean, lube and reassemble.

If you need a box and a pre paid shipping label that will be an additional $50.00

Any upgrades are charged parts.

This can be done online or over the phone.
Thank you.
On Fri, 19 Apr at 11:29 AM , S.zihn.muzzleloaders

Well the machine is very clean I do a cleaning on it about every month including disassembly and detailed cleaning so I assure you it's not because the machine is dirty. That would be a waist of time and money.
The slot through the lower housing of the priming system is worn and the 'humps" and been smoothed out 4 times in the many years I have owned it. The steel shim under that body is silver worn and a bit rough from use. The primer arms are worn to a point I can see wallows from wear when a machinist rule is placed against them. It's simply worn out!
So please, either replace the whole thing (if your warranty is still valid) or sell me what I need.
On 4/19/2024 1:06 PM, Dillon Precision wrote:

Hi S,
We will rebuild the machine, you will need to send it in.
Thank you

On Fri, 19 Apr at 1:25 PM , S.zihn.muzzleloaders
Why are you insisting on me sending in the whole 550B press? The ONLY thing I am having any trouble with is the Priming unit.
Or are you speaking of the priming unit only?

Why would I spend $85 and an additional $50 when all I need is the reciprocating arms for small and large primers and the the lower aluminum housing for the primer system?
Is that what you folks are trying to force on your loyal customers now that Mr Dillon has passed on?
A 100% warranted purchase seems a bit less then 100% if I am required to spend $135 to get any service on it.
What are you trying to do here ---- and why?
If I need to spend that much money to get your "100% warranty" I want to know what the lower housing and the primer arms would cost. It seems you are trying very hard to not warrant this issue or even sell me what I need. Why?
If your "100%" warranty actually" costs $135 to use I think I would spend less to simply buy parts. And if you notice I am not even demanding you have any integrity on that so-called "100% Warranty"
I am just trying to get parts. I would even pay for them ---- as I have said several times now. So what's the problem here??? !!! ???
______________________________________________________________________________________
Hi S,
The machine has a lifetime warranty, for some work the machine has to be sent in, you will need to pay for the shipping to us.
Please send the machine and we can insure it is working properly.
Thank you.

What say ye all?

My best advice is "Buy from Hornady"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You’re not a normal customer, you are mechanically inclined, unlike most customers. They don’t know your skills.

They are honoring the warranty by offering to inspect and rebuild the machine. Take them up on it. Or not. It’s your choice.

S
szihn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Well AB2506, I don't believe this is a matter of anyone being mechanically inclined. On the 550B what is needed to replace the worn out part is to remove 2 screws and take off the worn part then put the good one on and replace the 2 screws.

Not only that, but this part is made to be taken off and put back every time you switch from large to small primer size.

So NO mechanically inclination is needed AT ALL.

Last edited by szihn; 04/19/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
szihn, that does seem like a change for the worst. I'm sorry to hear about this. If this turns into a 10+ page thread someone might send a link to Dillion.

Good luck

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I think Dillon has replaced two, maybe three 550b primer feeders for me with no questions asked.

Kinda sucks to read this. I think I'd be on the phone Monday or I'd be looking at aftermarket with the rollers.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very few companies have customer service worth a squat these days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would also get a roller aftermarket from ebay or amazon.
I have two 550s so I don't have to change primer feed. Mine were pretty touchy getting lined up, that is why I bought a second unit.
If they puke again, I'm trying out the roller upgrade on amazon. 30 bucks and hopefully more robust.

https://www.amazon.com/JW-Systems-Dillon-Primer-Bearing/dp/B01L9Q2TX4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2J2DRECSVTM1U&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.rYFk46tuxMQfgXtlaq_6MljI6cH3pArCEflVAU_EOg5_24YpG9wxZK-3YA735pVXHeKOHU1iUELth3Nf2pYxdTPLnhKxeoCfGzZpFJmOKfOmnyBASw5BhMkYJRmunmyNAf5OBuJIk7Ap1HZmvr2TFMq79YCHcBGcFsvHzwMdAhsO-E1I-4HABkGohF3TaNNk_4YShEvWHHvRpEyjkkxRnQVs-j_7DNHitjBXlAMBxrOp_YE4SqMtLeGWHqMsS6Oq6FnRtDxyhXP2XoL8ZU4RP8uTfNHClEvHolXiKGdza5s.3gLh94NjnLBfWFzcLo4s5ctR7XMondLZd9IgB96GtHE&dib_tag=se&keywords=roller+upgrade+dillon+550&qid=1713571650&sprefix=roller+upgrade+dillon+550%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-2

S
szihn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I also need 2 new primer arms but as you can see above they refuse to sell me any unless I sent the whole press back.

That sounds crazy to me but go read it all for yourself.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They probably know how stupid you are

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dillon 550B Primer Track Bearing Plate w/Ball Bearing
Brand: JW Systems

The link that Terry posted helped with my primer feed issues. About a year ago I shipped my 550 back to Dillion. They upgraded it to the newer version that is easier to keep lubed and shipped it back with no charge.

The "No BS warranty" has helped grow the company over the years... Mike would be turning over in his grave over this.

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ve never owned or used a Dillon. Having said that, the labor force is crumbling. Service companies (I’m in one) have more work than workers. A company in that position is much more likely to tell you to pound sand than they were 4 years ago.

In times like these, I’d echo the old adage, “you catch more flies with honey” (which isn’t true but nevermind that)

Everything is expensive now. Companies are in a balancing act of rising costs and rising prices while not scaring away their customers.

I think paying shipping for the warranty service is perfectly fair. If you have worn parts due to normal use, that should be on them, which is how I read their reply.

People can’t get to all the work they have. If you’re an ass, be ready to be ghosted by companies who have more work and less time to deal with a-holes.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I would call them, rather than correspond via email. They have always been helpful over the phone, and they have replaced a whole primer assembly for me, in the past.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had a minor issue with my 750 case feeder last month. Shell plate kept jumping off the roller pin drive motor. The feeder plate just wouldn’t sit down all the way. They hadn’t had an issue with that before - lucky me - so I shot a quick video and they promptly sent me out a replacement hub. Not familiar with the 550 but guessing they’ve had enough problems with this issue that this is the best path forward for them?

I try to have a conversation with someone when these things happen. It’s much faster than dozens of back and forth emails. Give them a call instead of playing tag and let us know how it goes.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d send it in. I bet they do a whole lot more to your machine … stuff that might go screwy sooner rather than later with all the use you’ve gotten out of it.

But your position is fair, no question.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd be standing across a desk or counter from someone at the company headquarters who can give me an answer, with the machine in question in my hands- - - -not emailing or making phone calls. It's hard to ignore or BS someone who is at handshake distance.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Reminds me of the factory warranty on washers and dryers, nowadays. Basically, it's meaningless. If something doesn't work while under warranty, you will have to pay the same for the repair as you would if you hired the local, one man operation, washer/dryer repairman.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I would send it in to let them fix what needs to be fixed. They will replace all part that need replacing. They are not running their business on your qualifications. Let them rebuild and replace all worn parts and have a like new press again. They know their presses inside out and can not rely on customers diagnosis.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a reasonable policy. They can't tell what else might be worn out or upgradable without having the machine in shop. You yourself say it's a very VERY used machine. If you had one that was a year old and needed a primer assembly, they'd probably just send it. But that's not the case.

In all likelihood, they'll take one look at your old clunker and just ship you a brand new one. Then, you'd be singing their praises here instead of gritching.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I'd be standing across a desk or counter from someone at the company headquarters who can give me an answer, with the machine in question in my hands- - - -not emailing or making phone calls. It's hard to ignore or BS someone who is at handshake distance.
That would be over a 900 mile trip for the man.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
szihn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
No, it's a 1920 mile trip It's over 960 ONE WAY.

I'd still need to come home once I took it to them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,286
Posts18,486,887
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.