-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can know which meaning is intended, by utilizing that all-important hermeneutic principle...the analogy of faith.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
I've always felt that Salvation only comes from God's grace but God's grace is earned, not simply applied to everyone regardless. Otherwise there'd be no requirement to turn from sin either.

What could we possibly do to "earn" grace? Works glorifies the Lord, not us.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I've always felt that Salvation only comes from God's grace but God's grace is earned, not simply applied to everyone regardless. Otherwise there'd be no requirement to turn from sin either.

Exactly. Otherwise Paul was completely wrong about what works does to grace...ie turns grace into works.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BC20cal,

Take read from 1 Corinthians 5. The whole chapter. You will learn you are required to judge those in the church. God will judge those outside the church.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub

One of the best posts here. Thanks.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We are Saved by Grace,

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Alright....who's going to hell this time?

The Catholics?
I’m sure it’s me because I don’t go to church and waste a day of the week listening to someone preach his or her version of the greatest novel ever.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
"Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the words of Christ Jesus."
The heart and mind are coupled together in faith by the Holy Spirit whom supplies opportunities for works. When the opportunity for a work to be done presents itself, the mind considers, the heart does it, not out of expectation of something to be gained, but rather, out of love and appreciation for the grace God has showered the person with already: The very salvation of one's soul into eternal life. Works like these are acceptable to God.

The law keeps score for those that rely on works to save one self. The Gospel keeps no score of wrongs, by allowing the Holy Spirit to continue the grace-giving to the individual to build them up by staying in the Gospel message. ..."not by works, so no one can boast."...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by wabigoon
This is a good thread.
Agree.

Works as James uses that concept, is corresponding action.

It’s the product of salvation, the results that flow from a Spirit filled life. It’s not a precursor to salvation as some seem the think. Salvation isn’t earned, it’s a gift.

If one is truly saved, works will result. It’s inevitable.

It’s the evidence.

DF

Agreed.
James is basically saying it means nothing to say you believe. Anybody can claim to be a Christian. What matters is how it affects your life and the lives of others. I don't think anyone can be "saved" unless that salvation created some kind of change. You can't be saved without works, at least in the sense of willingness and decision to do what's right even when you don't have to. You can however do lots of things in God's name without ever being saved. Faith without works may be dead but works without faith in the true God may be deadly.
Yeah, don’t tell me, show me.

Actions speak louder than words.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
For decades, I struggled to know what it meant to believe in Jesus. I certainly believed the content of the Bible, but I knew that something was not right in me.

Then I read this passage that shook me to my core.

Matthew‬ ‭8‬:‭28‬-‭32‬ ‭ESV‬‬
And when he came to the other side, to the country of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men met him, coming out of the tombs, so fierce that no one could pass that way. And behold, they cried out, “What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?” Now a herd of many pigs was feeding at some distance from them. And the demons begged him, saying, “If you cast us out, send us away into the herd of pigs.” And he said to them, “Go.” So they came out and went into the pigs, and behold, the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and drowned in the waters.

These demons believed in Jesus. They recognized Him as the Son of God. They even knew of His future to torment them and recognized that time had not yet come.

But they are demons. They are hell-bound. What is wrong with their belief? Their belief is limited to their intellect, but does not extend to their actions.

Demons followed Lucifer into rebellion and were cast out of heaven.

Lucifer and the angels that followed him thought that they could make themselves like God, to be at His level, rather than recognizing their place subordinate to God.

Fallen Lucifer, taking the form of a serpent, successfully tempted Eve into sin, telling her that she could be like God and make her own decisions of what was right and wrong.

Lucifer’s pride caused him to seek to be equal to God. Eve’s pride caused her to seek the same. Each human instinctively seeks the same - I certainly did.

This is why we must surrender control of our lives to God.

Like the demons, I had intellectual belief.

Salvation requires more than head knowledge.

The longest journey is from the head to the heart.

I fought God until I was age 50. I tried to earn my salvation by my works. But I could not maintain obedience. I followed this flawed method of trying and failing until I gave up at age 47 and accepted that I would never be saved. I could not do what it took to be saved.

I was pretty stupid. I arrogantly and consciously thought I was smarter than God. I thought I could make up my own criteria to be saved. I had placed myself above His word.

And then at age 50, I read this passage which changed my life.

Galatians‬ ‭3‬:‭2‬-‭3‬ ‭ESV‬‬
Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

That described me perfectly - I was foolishly trying to earn my salvation by my works.

At age 10, I had been moved by the spirit and was baptized. I begun by the spirit.

I then tried to complete my salvation by my works - for 40 years.

But in reality, I refused to give up self control. I did what I wanted - I was a slave to sin and could not break free. Yes, I was quite the hypocrite, playing the church game every Sunday - look good, smell good. I refused to admit that I could not save myself. I refused to admit that I needed Jesus’ sacrifice for my salvation. I was extremely proud - I didn’t need anyone else’s help; not even Jesus’s help.

Galatians 3:2-3 opened my eyes. Dumbfounded and finally humbled (somewhat 😃), I accepted Jesus as my Savior and in that moment I was saved.

After that, obedience and the desire to serve Him (works) came easily. Not to say I am perfect; I can still sin. But now, I go running to God for forgiveness when I sin, knowing that I will be graciously accepted. I no longer hide in shame when I sin. I am no longer separated from God.

His yoke truly is much easier and lighter than what I tried for 40 failed years.
Read your testimony and was blessed.

There are way too many in the pews of today’s churches who need to read this.

Yeah, it’s not “them ole Pharisees”, it’s us Pharisees. They weren’t put in Scripture for us to throw rocks at them, but to take their lesson to heart.

Thanks for sharing.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/20/24.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dirtfarmer;
Good morning to you sir, I trust that you and those you care for are well today.

Indeed, it's "us Pharisees" far too often.

Definitely in my case it is.

Thanks for that thought.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Dirtfarmer;
Good morning to you sir, I trust that you and those you care for are well today.

Indeed, it's "us Pharisees" far too often.

Definitely in my case it is.

Thanks for that thought.

All the best.

Dwayne
Yeah, all of us.

When we start thinking otherwise, we “got a problem”.

To be deceived is to not know that you don’t know. Two negatives make a positive.

If one doesn’t know and realizes such, he may seek an answer. If he’s blind to the Truth, thinks he’s Kosher, maybe not so much.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dons99
True faith will produce works. Simple as that.

∆This.∆ You can't earn salvation, but those saved will show they have been saved in their actions to a progressively greater extent.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
BC20cal,

Take read from 1 Corinthians 5. The whole chapter. You will learn you are required to judge those in the church. God will judge those outside the church.

1 Corinthians 5......I have a question for the panel about it, started to bring it up, decided not to but since you did I will.

We see a guy who was having an affair with his step mother that got found out and Paul told the people to kick him out of their congregation in order to "turn him over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh so that his Spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord".

I have no idea how that works. I know very well that sin will kill you or lead to early physical death. Paul seemed to think that even though this guy was into big time sin he would still be saved in the end. Not only did his faith not have good works he was producing negative works....I suppose you could say his faith was "dead". Somehow it hints at the idea that a person who is saved can fall into deep depravity and still make it. Salvation seems to be very durable.

Furthermore, Paul went on to say to "expel the wicked from among you" including people who claimed to be "brothers" yet were "sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler." He told the people not to associate with these or even eat with them. Paul seemed to have zero interest in creating an "inclusive environment where everyone is welcome".

Its obvious that he did not want these "fake Christians" around to exert influence on the others....saying "don't you know a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough".

Did he think these also would be saved in the day of the Lord after being turned over to Satan?

In any event, there is zero doubt that the people in this "church" were held accountable for their "works" to some extent as crossing certain lines was not tolerated.

People who have the idea that Paul was all grace and James was all works have cherry picked a few verses and failed to read everything.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We are Saved by Grace,

Richard,

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It is easier to speak with God in wild places...

I have always believed this to be true...

Wild places involve physical labor (even pain) to build, visit and/or worship.

The conversations a man has with his God happen in these places... better than the internet... IMHO

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by CashisKing
It is easier to speak with God in wild places...

I have always believed this to be true...

Wild places involve physical labor (even pain) to build, visit and/or worship.

The conversations a man has with his God happen in these places... better than the internet... IMHO

Yes indeed

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cash;
Good morning my friend, I hope that you and those who matter to you are well.

Thanks for your thoughts and wonderful photo which illustrates them perfectly.

While I've mentioned this previously, the closest I've felt to being in the very presence of God was on a mountain 3 hours hard hike from the nearest road.

That would be 3 hours for a younger me too mind you Cash, while I'm blessed to still trod the same paths 3 decades later, the time and effort seem to have increased.

Even more so than us being able to speak to God in said wild places, I believe God can speak to us more efficiently there.

I'd respectfully suggest those are two very different things.

While there is some utility to the internet, allowing a BC redneck to converse with interesting folks who live in far flung regions as an example, the negative aspect of it for me is the constant distractions which do not help me to concentrate, much less meditate.

All the best to you all this weekend Cash.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/20/24.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Keep in mind that "works" can be as simple as doing nothing beyond praying. Think of someone who's totally bedridden.

This is a good point. Even the saved thief on the cross in his short time alive produced “fruit” and a good work(s). He acknowledged his sin and unworthiness — confession of sins — believed Jesus was the Son of God, and prayed to Him aloud, “remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Jesus immediately affirmed that he would be in Paradise with Him.

He was given faith by God’s grace, believed, confessed, prayed, and lastly witnessed his change of heart to his fellow thief perishing alongside of him.

He completed the Christians’ call, you might say, in just a matter of hours.

PS: I didn’t read every post but there seemed to be mostly serious questions and answers and conversation. Thanks for that.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BC30cal
While there is some utility to the internet, allowing a BC redneck to converse with interesting folks who live in far flung regions as an example, the negative aspect of it for me is the constant distractions which do not help me to concentrate, much less meditate.

Dwayne

Precisely...

"Distraction"

Latin distractionem (nominative distractio)... https://www.etymonline.com/word/distraction

...and "Devil"

https://www.etymonline.com/word/devil#etymonline_v_8484

A reasonable man could make parallels... IMHO.

Have a Blessed BC kinda day kind Sir.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 3,044 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,349
Posts18,487,864
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.