-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The BTR Gen2 2-12x Mil/Mil is tough to whoop,for killing. Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The NF is way overkill for 100 yard shooting.

The beauty of those scopes is in the integrity of the mechanical repeatability & reliability to dial up for longe shooting & back to zero.

Plenty of scopes for half the price to do what the OP wants.

Horses for courses......................but spend the money if you so choose, the NF will work fine.

MM

I think he said he's 77, and has never owned a Nightforce scope. However, I agree with you, it's way "overkill" for his needs. Some guys make excuses for "needing" to buy expensive scopes for their rifles. I have a buddy that says he has to have Swarovski rifle scopes on his hunting rifles, at his age. That's on him, and everyone else that needs to make excuses like that. Warranted or not. I'm not the OP, but I could get by just fine with a cheap azzed Burris FFII 3-9x40, even in low light. However, if the OP wants to spend his money on a Nightforce he can. Even though, its strong points are dialing, which makes it more suitable for long range and returing back to zero. To each his own though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The beauty of those scopes is in the integrity of the mechanical repeatability & reliability to dial up for longe shooting & back to zero.

Horses for courses......................but spend the money if you so choose, the NF will work fine.

MM

I think he said he's 77, and has never owned a Nightforce scope. However, I agree with you, it's way "overkill" for his needs. Some guys make excuses for "needing" to buy expensive scopes for their rifles. I have a buddy that says he has to have Swarovski rifle scopes on his hunting rifles, at his age. That's on him, and everyone else that needs to make excuses like that. Warranted or not. I'm not the OP, but I could get by just fine with a cheap azzed Burris FFII 3-9x40, even in low light. However, if the OP wants to spend his money on a Nightforce he can. Even though, its strong points are dialing, which makes it more suitable for long range and returing back to zero. To each his own though.

Have you ever looked through a Swarovski?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For what your doing I'd listen to stick on the athelon btr gen 2 in 2-12x42. I have one on my seekins element 7 prc that I shoot without the brake. It recoil a bit and the Athlon has been holding up. The reticle is a bit heavy but that will be a benefit for what you're doing.

I wish they made a version of the same scope with a finer milquad type reticle so I could put several more on my varmint type rifles. I always like a good 2 or 3 to 12 power range scope on a big game gun. I wish bushnell still made there 3-12 lrhs.

I like a 3-12 or 4-16 in ffp scopes. Going any more than 4x mag adjustment makes it tough to have a good ffp reticle that works well on both ends.

Bb

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If the Helos mil version will ever get in off the ship, I'd like to try one.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buy the scope that you want.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Buy the scope that you want.
What a concept….

Ha!

DF

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been using the 3-10 SHV in both MOAR and Forceplex for several years. It's been a great scope for me.

The OP mentioned "at most perhaps 100 yards in very dim light". If you're NOT planning to use illumination, then the Forceplex is much more visible in low light or broken backgrounds.

If you're planning on using illumination, then I'd recommend the MOAR. The illuminated section in the MOAR is noticeably smaller (2 MOA) than the illuminated section of the Forceplex (5 MOA). The smaller area of illumination causes less washout/bleed over with image in low light.

I like a lot about the NXS 2.5-10, but the reticles, and the amount of the reticles that are illuminated, are not the best fit for low light. The NXS 2.5-10 has great resolution on target when adjusting the parallax...the downside of that is that it has very shallow depth of focus or resolution. It makes it tough to pick out little limbs, etc between the shooter and target unless rolling through the parallax. The SHV seems to have a much greater depth of focus, making it easier to pick up anything between the shooter and target, though not quite as good at on target resolution.

None of them, MOAR/Forceplex, SHV/NXS are bad, I use and like them, but each has it's pro/con. Everything is a trade off. Pick what best fits your use.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
plenty good brand scopes out there but i still like Nightforce scopes i use mostly 30 tube scopes from Nightforce my favorite is 5.5 -22 x56 Nightforce illuminate , i hunt open western states and here in Minnesota a tamarac swamp with cut shooting lanes out to 300- 400 yards with a single shot rifle /Ruger #1 257 Weatherby . i like over kill on bigger bucks DRT and this old rifle with the Nightforce scope i have used together for over 10-15 years with my handloads never ever problem with either of them have shot my biggest buck at 30 feet running at 8 power shot my farthest buck 10 pt. Montana buck at a measured 720 yards both 1 shot kills . the only change i have made is i now use Hammer bullets which seem just a little more accurate for me. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The BTR Gen2 2-12x Mil/Mil is going to STEAL the show and blow everything cited out of the water,for killing. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick

. Crappy FFP reticle you have to squint to see. Look no further than your own pictures. Turn on the illumination you say. Good luck when you left the spare battery in the truck. That scope is designed for day shooting at a shooting range. It’s a tactical scope not a hunting scope. As evidenced by it being 25 ounces. Isn’t it made in China? Geez stick you’re sucking it up these days. Do better!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
cumsincowboys,

You are Pretending aloud,if only still...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my being afforded the luxuries of not being forced to guess,while a guess is the BEST you can ever "do". Hint.

I just "happen" to keep spare batteries taped to slings and the commonality,assuredly doesn't hurt Production. Don't "forget",that not all suffer your Handicaps and Retardation. Hint.

Be sure to "tell" me more,as the Delusions hit your pointy head and settle behind your crossed eyes. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

. Crappy FFP reticle you have to squint to see. Look no further than your own pictures. Turn on the illumination you say. Good luck when you left the spare battery in the truck. That scope is designed for day shooting at a shooting range. It’s a tactical scope not a hunting scope. As evidenced by it being 25 ounces. Isn’t it made in China? Geez stick you’re sucking it up these days. Do better!

But it looks Tacticool. One of these days it will make the 150 yard gong clang. By pure chance.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Had no trouble shooting a cow elk with my BTR Gen 2 at 360 yards at shooting light. Wouldn’t be my first choice as a range rifle scope but it works fine for both.

Last edited by TexasTBag; 04/20/24.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
mil dot out of stock 6 more weeks so i purchased the MOA scope i needed a scope for a back -up on my trip and who knows might trade it to shoot another higher priced animal ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ronc

MM

Of course I have. What's the point? At 100 yards (the OP's requirement), a damn Tasco would work. I've also had Swarovski crap out on me too. They are very lightweight, which makes the internals inadequate most times. They do, however, have nice glass. I'm not going to buy a scope just because it has good glass. Unless it's on my competition rifles. Then they require excellent glass and reliable tracking. That is where Nightforce comes in. Not on a rifle that is only going to get shot out to 100 yards.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ronc

MM

Of course I have. What's the point? At 100 yards (the OP's requirement), a damn Tasco would work. I've also had Swarovski crap out on me too. They are very lightweight, which makes the internals inadequate most times. They do, however, have nice glass. I'm not going to buy a scope just because it has good glass. Unless it's on my competition rifles. Then they require excellent glass and reliable tracking. That is where Nightforce comes in. Not on a rifle that is only going to get shot out to 100 yards.
Agree great glass but light weight. While a good thing, it doesn’t leave room for really robust construction. Heavy duty is usually heavy.

I have a Z3 and a Z5. Sent the Z5 back for a broken plastic elevation turret retainer. I was forcing it, still it shouldn’t have broken.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still Chinese made, hint, big twig

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like the device you are crying upon,the one you stole your avatar upon and the one which holsters your Hurt Feelers...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Dangle a pic of a Critter you killed and optic used. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 38 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,121
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.