Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I've found over the years that folks who appreciate really nice rifles often tend to appreciate watches, too. I don't have a huge collection, but like A-11 (WW2) inspired throwbacks and old school diving watches. Anybody have collections worth sharing?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My FIL had a safe with about 3000 watches in it listed on his inventory. Ranged from Mickey Mouse watches to Bulova to a couple of Ladies Rolexes. Nothing really high end, but a lot of silver cased railroad pocket watches, etc. I figured value range from $5 to $1500. Mean value of the 3000 probably $100. Left them to his widow's trust when he died and she gave them to an auction house at about 10 cents on the dollar. If I had any guns left after my boating accident a few years ago I would hope they would bring more than that.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I really enjoy various types of mechanical watches. I tend to gravitate towards dials that inspire me. Some of the ones with multiple complications don't really do it for me. My wife and I took a "watch makers" tour of Switzerland last year and it was one for a lifetime.

Picked up George Daniels "Watchmaking" book a couple of weeks ago and it has been difficult to put down.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I only have two, both pocket watches. A Hamilton I bought when working for Burlington Northern 1968. They had payroll deduction. And a smaller Bulova with flip open case,18k gold. That I bought in 1974 for around $400 don't remember the price for sure. The Bulova is a real nice watch. The Hamilton keeps time more accurately. There a few Seiko and Citizen wrist watches, ruined by welding BB's and cutting slag, in the top drawer of my dresser! I haven't worn or carried a watch since 2014 when I retired! I do carry the Bulova when doing marrying and burying events. Mostly to show off the gold nugget on the fob chain. My uncle found it somewhere in Alaska, before WW2. And gave the nugget to me in 66 before he passed away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if I qualify for "collector", but I have:

Patek Philippe 5119J
Omega DeVille Co-Axial Chronometer, stainless steel case/bracelet with date
Frederique Constant quartz with petite second hand
Seiko 5 Sports 55th Anniversary (Bruce Lee) Limited Edition
three Swatches, including the MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon (copy of Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch in Bioceramic)
the Hamilton pocket watch my Great-Grandfather was given when he retired from an oil company in Tulsa, OK in 1946
a few other odd timepieces

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All my older ones are gone. None were
anything special. I still have a couple of Accutron’s, Bulova and a Citizen Eco Drive dive watch.
I wear the the Eco Drive a few times a week. I wish I still had the Swatch my Grandmother brought back from one of her trips overseas and the Bulova my Dad gave me as my first watch. The memories of their fate escapes me.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I don't know if I qualify for "collector", but I have:

Patek Philippe 5119J
Omega DeVille Co-Axial Chronometer, stainless steel case/bracelet with date
Frederique Constant quartz with petite second hand
Seiko 5 Sports 55th Anniversary (Bruce Lee) Limited Edition
three Swatches, including the MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon (copy of Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch in Bioceramic)
the Hamilton pocket watch my Great-Grandfather was given when he retired from an oil company in Tulsa, OK in 1946
a few other odd timepieces
Those first three are quite a collection unto themselves.

I'm a fan of Hamilton field watches (wear a Khaki automatic daily) and Seiko divers. Spend most of the summer in a King Turtle special release.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a large collection of quality Swiss and German pieces, far too many to list...I enjoy very rare pieces, and have number that only 5 or less were ever made by well known makers. I like divers, pilots, military, the best...but have many dress style pieces also, that work with dress shirts and jackets better.

Watches are like guns & knives....they are tools.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sort of, more so colks.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have a a few from Seiko 5 to Seadweller

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a few pocket watches from my great grandfathers, one from my grandfather and one that my dad wore. None of them special, but have sentimental value. O ly knew my dad,others all dead before I was born.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by slumlord
Ha. It's hard to imagine that scene happening in any other voice. Just wouldn't be the same.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 62 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.