Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Was Tom Clancy a prophet or did he just give the bad guys ideas?
Think about it.

1. Debt of Honor; Angry Japanese man crashes 747 into the Congress while all main government officials are present for the State of the Union address. (9/11./

2. Rainbow Six; enviornmental whackos develop a virus called Shiva and plan to wipeout most of mankind to creat e their dream ecology.. (Covid 19)

3. The Sum of all Fears; Nuclear attack by terrorist on American soil. That one hasn't happened yet but I'm sure some terrorist are contemplating such an action.

I don't recall any other world shattering events in the other books of that I have but my memory banks don't work as well as they used to. I'm in the middle of Rainbow Six right now and the similarity to Covid trigged the memory of the other two books.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mick Jagger was a prophet..

“Every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners, saints”.

Who knew?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This what yall read on the beach after those danielle steele books?

Big poofy straw hat, Milton in a chair wantin a mai tai. LOL

🤣😂😂😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No Salt - he said NO-SALT

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I firmly believe that Trump was able to hold Putin and Iran’s mullahs in check because he incorporated his version of The Ryan Doctrine.

The Ryan Doctrine was Jack Ryan’s way of dealing with recalcitrant dictators (it was also Iran in the novels). Basically, he told the mullahs that, if they started a war, he would not send young American men to fight their young men. He’d go directly for the mullahs - cut off the head of the snake.

It worked in the novels and it worked for Trump.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I was always a little leery of Tom Clancy's obsessive patriotism. No matter what, the government employees always wore the white hats. He wrote good entertaining fiction for sure, I read it all, and enjoyed it (Hunt for Red October is a classic)...but with the benefit of 35 years of hindsight, I'd say he might have written some very different plots in this day and age, given the facts we now know about the 3 letter agencies. The massive blunders of Dept of State, DIA, CIA, FBI, etc are undeniable. We Kennedy assassination 'grassy knoll' kooks were the outsiders, fringe looneys...until we weren't.
I think Clancy would write some very different novels today.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He never mentioned the Navy's Walker family of traitors that I saw.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have read all his Jack Ryan Novels .They are scary accurate to modern day events .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Good read, confirms some of my suspicions.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I was always a little leery of Tom Clancy's obsessive patriotism. No matter what, the government employees always wore the white hats. He wrote good entertaining fiction for sure, I read it all, and enjoyed it (Hunt for Red October is a classic)...but with the benefit of 35 years of hindsight, I'd say he might have written some very different plots in this day and age, given the facts we now know about the 3 letter agencies. The massive blunders of Dept of State, DIA, CIA, FBI, etc are undeniable. We Kennedy assassination 'grassy knoll' kooks were the outsiders, fringe looneys...until we weren't.
I think Clancy would write some very different novels today.

I think it’s because he wrote them before the alphabet agencies hadn’t taken their big fall from grace…

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I found his books entertaining. I think he underestimated the power of lobbyists and special interests. He also didn't address activist judges, career bureaucrats, education, and district attorneys.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Think about it.

...<snip>...

I don't think he was a prophet but he did profit from his books. grin

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think about it.
So far, he hasn't got us fighting against China on the side of Russia in a war. But give the Putinista MAGA idiots time.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Think about it.

1. Debt of Honor; Angry Japanese man crashes 747 into the Congress while all main government officials are present for the State of the Union address. (9/11./

2. Rainbow Six; enviornmental whackos develop a virus called Shiva and plan to wipeout most of mankind to creat e their dream ecology.. (Covid 19)

3. The Sum of all Fears; Nuclear attack by terrorist on American soil. That one hasn't happened yet but I'm sure some terrorist are contemplating such an action.

I don't recall any other world shattering events in the other books of that I have but my memory banks don't work as well as they used to. I'm in the middle of Rainbow Six right now and the similarity to Covid trigged the memory of the other two books.
PJ

I do not believe TC gave anybody the ideas for their attacks.

As convergent evolution exists in nature, it also does in the human mind.

Quite often two or even more people will develop similar or even identical solutions to their problems. Remember that Calculus was invented by Issac Newton and also by Leibniz.

Today, both Newton and Leibniz are given credit for independently developing the basics of calculus. It is Leibniz, however, who is credited with giving the new discipline the name it is known by today: "calculus". Newton's name for it was "the science of fluents and fluxions".

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
ahhhhhh no, he was a gifted writer.

the government has a plan for zombies, CONOP 8888. if you think about it, the government already has a plan for it.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/conop-8888

https://www.stratcom.mil/Portals/8/Documents/FOIA/CONPLAN_8888-11.pdf

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If TC gave ideas to the bad guys, he also gave something to the good guys to think about. Maybe he did more good than harm, he sure entertained me back in the days of paper back books.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,182
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.