Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Anyone have their hands on one of these yet? For the price point it checks a lot of boxes. Cerakote, adjustable comb/LOP, threaded muzzle, etc.

I had a first gen 7mm-08 and it was incredibly accurate regardless of the price point.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleGenII/overview.html

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a rail, scope, rings and a Jard trigger just waiting for the Ranch in 22ARC to hit the streets.....

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Huntsman,

I have been contemplating using a JARD trigger to replace the OEM trigger on my Win Model 70 MOA.
Factory trigger was lame and could not adjust to my satisfaction. Do you have much experience with JARD?
Thanks for feedback.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have a Gen 2 in 7-08 with the 20” barrel and it handles well and shoots better than it should. The action is much smoother than the Gen1 and the stock seems to be much stiffer as well. The 3 position safety is a nice feature.

As you mentioned it checked a lot of boxes for me. It’s a great suppressor host. I mounted a Trijicon Credo 2.5-10x56 and it fits perfectly (1/4” gap to barrel) with the rail and medium rings.

I am still trying to fine tune the load using Lapua 150Gr Sencar L, RE15, or Big Game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a Gen 2 Ranch in 300 BLK showing up this week, will be happy to provide a comparison the the Gen . The stock definitely looks a bit thicker in the forearm.

Hoping to replace the AR magwell with one for a rotary magazine to have the option for flush fit mag carry when hunting and swapping back and forth.

Last edited by Igloo; 04/21/24.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Any idea if these will be offered in a left hand configuration?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Any idea if these will be offered in a left hand configuration?

Ruger says, "working on it". Their version of- if you see it sometime it means they made it.

Sometimes their ideas never hit production, and many times they had unannounced releases

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ruger has done a pretty good job taking care of us lefties with the MK II, Hawkeye and gen 1 American. Would be surprised if they don't offer the gen 2 in LH eventually.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hope they worked on the feeding but doubt it. They are accurate but feed from the magazine like crap. Was shooting a friends Grendel last week and his Ruger made my Howa feel like a tuned Mauser. Sold my 350 L for the same reason.

Decent tools, but the price is getting up there for what they are.....

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djb
Hope they worked on the feeding but doubt it. They are accurate but feed from the magazine like crap. Was shooting a friends Grendel last week and his Ruger made my Howa feel like a tuned Mauser. Sold my 350 L for the same reason.

That depends on the mag system.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
100% mag system related. Hint.

If it's AICS,you are golden...if not,you are pissing up ALL ropes. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Related to the Gen 1 rifles or the Gen 2? Did they make a Grendel in Gen 1?

Originally Posted by djb

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My friend just got it. It has the green and black stock with AR style magazine. Pretty sure it was Gen 1.

It shot pretty well but feeding was rough. Another disturbing feeding aspect with my American, was that you could get the bolt to turn down prior to engaging bolt slot in the stock. Found this out while working the bolt briskly. I'm not a fan. The American rimfires are Great though....

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It was a hairbrained half-assed idea on their part to use the AR mags on that bolt action.

They should have just stuck to the simple polymer stack magazine like they provide on the 450. Many use those in place of the rotary mags.

They had to butcher the bolt body to get the action to work with the AR mags.
Many were hoping the Gen2 rifles would drop the AR mags. No luck.

Last edited by KenMi; 04/22/24.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I about bought a new Gen 2 yesterday wanting a short barrel 300 blackout for all these reasons. but they happen to have a brand new gen 1 they were really want to sell and price did $150 cheaper. so I bought it instead and I'll pick up some Gen 2 later on in a few different calipers.

as to the mag feeding issues yes the rotary flush fit mags are absolute junk in my book.. converted a few to the Asics type my ex and have zero issues. I've never personally issues with 5.56 and blackouts using the AR mags.
done that AICS mag conversions on a 22-250 and a 223 that is dropped in to magpul stock
I do like the generation 2 is quite well.. already on a list for the 22 ARC version. not sure what else I'll get chambered in that.

I think I've got six of the Ruger Americans now..

Last edited by ldholton; 04/23/24.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Related to the Gen 1 rifles or the Gen 2? Did they make a Grendel in Gen 1?

Originally Posted by djb

yes I have one shoots excellent. uses a specialty Grendel AR type mag

Last edited by ldholton; 04/23/24.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
What is the going price on them?? I have yet to see one in a store.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ihookem
What is the going price on them?? I have yet to see one in a store.
around here most are 600 bucks one store about an hour from me has advertised them at 589

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I picked up the Gen II in 7-08 a couple months back. It shoots dang near anything i feed it well. I've settled on a 139 Interlock that prints .75" and under groups easily. Bolt is smooth as butter compared to the Gen 1

what you see depends on what your looking for!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was/am a big fan of the Gen 1s, must be lucky in that I never ran into any feeding/operation woes. Had them in 223, 7.62x39, 300 Blackout and 6.5 Creedmoor.

The Gen 2 is definitely an improvement. The stainless seel bolt IS smoothed out more than the original. It isn't Tikka smooth but its much smoother than Gen 1 bolts before they are broken in. Stock is more rigid, and a bit thicker in the forearm. Feels like holding a Roughtech stock, although the butt feels hollower. Still, its a better stock. Ergos for me are great with the clip-on black cheekpiece removed.

This ones a 300 Blackout. Feeds from the supplied Pmag just fine. Had thought about swapping it for a different setup but no need. Works great with the AR mag, as did the 223 version I had.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.