-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A harmless family-friendly dog story, really loosely based on reality.

The biggest surprise was the wild scenery in the Dominican Republic where it was filmed and set.

I believe the actual race was in Ecuador and the dog had a history of tagging along with foreign expeditions. I dunno that it saved any lives either.

Good on the guy for bringing it back to the US and taking care of it tho.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Looks a lot better than a lot of crap out there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Looks good to me .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marky been getting in touch with his Religious Family Catlick side lately.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mark Wahlberg is, I believe, a good man! He, Sylvester Stallone and Denzel Washington are Christians who have started a movie studio OUTSIDE of the despicable Hollywood sphere. They are going against the evils that has become Hollywood and founding a studio that is NOT woke and doesn’t eschew God!

I wish them ALL the success in the world!

I’ve heard great things about Arthur the King and I look forward to seeing it once it streams. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Birdwatcher: The VarmintWife is down in Phoenix, Arizona on a sun-break, girls week, getaway. She and her three lifelong friends went to see the "Arthur The King" movie at one of the deluxe leather lounge chair, food and cocktail service theaters.
All four of the ladies REALLY enjoyed the movie.
Its playing here in my hometown and I think I will go see it this week.
You pretty much gave away the plot/ending but how did YOU like the movie - you didn't mention that???
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
You pretty much gave away the plot/ending but how did YOU like the movie - you didn't mention that???
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The trailer said it was based upon a true story, so naturally I looked it up before I saw the movie. Sorry about the spoiler, I had thought this was obviously a sort of lightweight, pleasant dog yarn. It ain’t like Arthur was gonna get rabies like Ol’ Yeller and have to be shot.

I know that dogs can cover great distances, I once ran my ordinary heeler mutts (when they were alive) twenty miles off leash next to my bicycle which seemed no big deal to them. I’ve also read of a stray dog in Iraq that tracked a US armor unit that had fed it sixty miles across the desert (one guy eventually brung it back to the US). What is unexplained in the movie is how the dog found them after a -100 mile road bike section and another where they zip line across a deep canyon leaving no scent trail at all.

The real Arthur in Ecuador IIRC had followed at least two foreign expeditions at least twice before, not of the nature of an adventure race but apparently was generally familiar with the terrain.

Also, what you don’t get in this movie is a sense of the extreme physical strain on the human competitors, they cover extraordinary distances at a pace even an old-time Apache would find difficult. The actors are in shape of course but it doesn’t seem like they were put into a boot camp for a couple of months before or anything.

Not much dramatic tension in the movie, cliched incidents. Needs a reshoot focusing on the hardships of the race, just having the dog keep up with them would be enough, along with explanations showing how the dog solved the problems of finding them again.

On the plus side, I’m sure there ain’t much beyond what was pictured, but the forested Dominican mountain scenery was extraordinary, especially given it shares the island with Haiti. I was also impressed with the realistic depiction of Santo Domingo, the capital city of that nation.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,279
Posts18,486,792
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.