Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
German engineering looks like something made in Mexico or China, why in the [bleep] would you put the bolts in backward so the transaxle/front differential has to be dropped to take it out other than to [bleep] the average
DIYer into taking it to the dealer. I used my Mexican wrench and cut it off. Put it on right now. Gl550 Rack and pinion mount bushings.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
so the average joe has to go to the stealership.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So the engineers can figure out a special tool to get to it.

Germans love that engineering stuff

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
People who own mercedes don't work on their own cars, and the vast majority of people don't work on their own cars anymore. So all companies can do shenanigans like this and most are oblivious to the issue. Most newer vehicles aren't worth owning as their planned obsolescence is built into them, much like apple products. Ignorance truly is bliss it seems.

Or it could be that the Didn't Earn It worker installed the bolt backwards, so I guess you could call them to ask, but I don't think they care either way.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's a conspiracy.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a simple 30-minute fix if you don't have to cut that bolt off then buy another.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nazi revenge!... ever try to reassemble an Audi 5000 drive axle?... one of the balls & the slot it rides in is just a few thou bigger than the others, so it only goes together one way... take that you Swinehunds!...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
It's a simple 30-minute fix if you don't have to cut that bolt off then buy another.
Been thru that various times.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Roger….It’s posts like this that bring me comfort, not because you are frustrated but because I’m not a mechanic and I’ve never played one on TV….in fact I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn recently either. When a man like you who is far more mechanically inclined than myself finds himself fighting stupidity like that bolt I feel significantly less dumb. I think damn near every single time I’ve worked on a vehicle I’ve found myself faced with the something similar. I now figure that if the Good Lord wanted me to work on vehicles he never would have made mechanics. Considering how the smallest job usually entails me using $200 in gas running back and forth to the parts store and at least $150 in wrong or unnecessary parts I’m happy to pay my mechanic.

I think I have the only 1 armed mechanic this side of the International Date Line…leave it to me. 😂. He’s a retired army mechanic and Vietnam veteran who suffered a stroke in retirement but he charges less per hour and doesn’t add extra time for his disability. He’s far more dexterous than I am with 2 hands and arms….hell, he has more dexterity than me if I had 3 arms and hands and he’s extremely honest. His shop is immaculate too.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We had lots of german made equipment at work. Panel saws, dryers, pluggers . And owner and repaired our vw’s until the wifes rabbit. The germans over engineer and under build. And the like 1.25 thread pitch on sizes the rest of the world uses 1.50. Enjoy the install, with a grolsh beer!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Roger….It’s posts like this that bring me comfort, not because you are frustrated but because I’m not a mechanic and I’ve never played one on TV….in fact I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn recently either. When a man like you who is far more mechanically inclined than myself finds himself fighting stupidity like that bolt I feel significantly less dumb. I think damn near every single time I’ve worked on a vehicle I’ve found myself faced with the something similar. I now figure that if the Good Lord wanted me to work on vehicles he never would have made mechanics. Considering how the smallest job usually entails me using $200 in gas running back and forth to the parts store and at least $150 in wrong or unnecessary parts I’m happy to pay my mechanic.

I think I have the only 1 armed mechanic this side of the International Date Line…leave it to me. 😂. He’s a retired army mechanic and Vietnam veteran who suffered a stroke in retirement but he charges less per hour and doesn’t add extra time for his disability. He’s far more dexterous than I am with 2 hands and arms….hell, he has more dexterity than me if I had 3 arms and hands and he’s extremely honest. His shop is immaculate too.
6-dollar bolt versus dropping the transaxle or paying several hundred to the dealer, no brainer.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Heym06
We had lots of german made equipment at work. Panel saws, dryers, pluggers . And owner and repaired our vw’s until the wifes rabbit. The germans over engineer and under build. And the like 1.25 thread pitch on sizes the rest of the world uses 1.50. Enjoy the install, with a grolsh beer!
this bolt was 1.50

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U

WORD!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stxhunter

6-dollar bolt versus dropping the transaxle or paying several hundred to the dealer, no brainer.

Yep….several hundred dollars for a mechanic it is…😂

I truly admire guys like you but I don’t envy you. 😀😉. I just ain’t smart enough nor patient enough to do that stuff….plus after I throw the wrench through a window I figure I’m money ahead hiring a professional anyway.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned a LOT of cars from a LOT of countries.

The German cars I've owned include 7 Porsche's from an E series 911T to a 997.
Also owned 4 M3s and 2 M5s.
My first AMG was an M177 V8.
Currently, my wife's summer car is an AMG E53 and mine a GT63.
We also have a Winnebago Revel.

Though of course everyone's mileage will vary my German cars have given me more pleasure than any others, so as far as I'm concerned, let them keep on engineering and I'll keep buying.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

🤣🤣🤣

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Timely Roger. I recently sold my 2017 Porsche Boxster S (turbo 4) and bought a 2022 Boxster GTS (NA 6) and, as usual, started looking for YouTube videos on routine maintenance. Here's what an air filter change entails. Not difficult but...

https://www.718forum.com/threads/bgts4-0-intake-air-filter-access.28061/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Nice carpet.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Timely Roger. I recently sold my 2017 Porsche Boxster S (turbo 4) and bought a 2022 Boxster GTS (NA 6) and, as usual, started looking for YouTube videos on routine maintenance. Here's what an air filter change entails. Not difficult but...

https://www.718forum.com/threads/bgts4-0-intake-air-filter-access.28061/
That's not bad, I think the worst one I ever heard was the Ford you had to pull the cab off to change the back spark plugs.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Nice carpet.
It sure beats laying on bare concrete.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 3,140 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,968
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.