Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Planning a trip in June to do some fishing and scouting for places to camp and hunt elk archery in the future. We have been going to Colorado for a long time but I think it’s time for new country. The Bighorn mountains interest me , so right or wrong , I’ll go have a look and get some fishing in too.
I plan on camping and going into Sheridan , Buffalo etc. for a steak and check some of the history. Anyone familiar with a place or places you can stop in and pay for a shower in the general area. I have some points in Wyoming for elk and deer and so do my sons, who knows what point creep will do . I’ll be 60 (damn) in a week.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I seem to remember there are showers in the welcome center/rest area in Sheridan. Exit 20 something..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a neat campground at the entrance of Cloud Peak Wilderness area. There's a lake there - "Paint Rock Lake??" that's beautiful/

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There isn't any good hunting in the Bighorns.....look elsewhere.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks , I'll look up some outfitters and see if any have showers. Frogman , I guess I can still try to catch a few fish .

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Years ago there was a shower available in Ten Sleep. Hot water and a towel for a couple bucks.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Years ago there was a shower available in Ten Sleep. Hot water and a towel for a couple bucks.

The last I was through there that place was closed. That's been 3 or 4 years ago now. Hopefully someone re-opened. Ten sleep is a neat little place

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
big pine: WY law: "Guides required; exceptions; issuance of resident guide license. (a) No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in this state unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by frogman43

You must have a degree in (reverse) Psychology

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bobmn
big pine: WY law: "Guides required; exceptions; issuance of resident guide license. (a) No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in this state unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide."

That law applies only to big game/ trophy game hunting in Federally designated wilderness areas.
He can go camp, hike hunt small game or do anything but big game/ trophy hunt without a resident guide- which can be a friend and the license is free for them at WG&F for big game hunting.

I did see this about the Cloud Peak Wilderness area- registration required for entry: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/bighorn/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5162310

Pretty area and lots of moose, watch out for cows with a calf.

Lots of good fishing on your way up to that area also.

IC B3

B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks guys . Looking forward to the fishing and seeing some new country. I ‘m aware of the non res wilderness hunt rules . It will be a year or two before we can get drawn, it will give me some time to check out which side or unit to choose , if that is where we decide to hunt. Planning and prep is the fun part.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by frogman43

You must have a degree in (reverse) Psychology

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! LOL

Actually I was just having a little fun and I sent a PM to BigPine yesterday with some information, but it doesn't appear that he's read it yet.

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
All good Frog , I've been a member here too long not to fully expect that, I was surprised it was only one ! There are some damn good people on here , and some not so much.. but I've dealt with more good than otherwise.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
And you can sniff flowers or fish in the wilderness areas without a guide. But you can’t hunt without a guide. Makes no sense to me, unless it could be the outfitters association leaning on blame and wish?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Fishing is abundant but marginal for size in the bighorns.

Scouting in is fairly useless for rifle hunts.. except to get lay of land and u can do that from google maps

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by frank500
And you can sniff flowers or fish in the wilderness areas without a guide. But you can’t hunt without a guide. Makes no sense to me, unless it could be the outfitters association leaning on blame and wish?

He could hunt small game too and yes the outfitters association got that law passed.

Hit up the better fishing more South of the Bighorns, lots of easy access and good fishing along your route I bet.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good showers at the Cenex stations in Buffalo and Worland

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i used to hunt the Bighorns with a bow ,i just camped on forest land ,cleaned up in the stream with a soap bar . Bald mountain area was a good place to check around for elk. good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bear Lodge at Burgesss junction had showers and probably still does.

Bear Lodge

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the input. I would only be archery for elk there. I would imagine rifle season would have lots of company there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.