Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I will say as far as Consumer Reports...maintenance costs don't tell the story...the only thing that matters is cost per mile, which includes everything.

Bingo.

4900 over 10 years on the Toyota but that's 290k miles (parts runner) vs 4050 for the Tesla over 10 years but that's 68k miles (weekend commuter).

What makes the most sense?

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have to buy a few vehicles down south. It will be Toyota.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Does the report include replacing a Tesla battery? What’s the expected battery life?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ford F 150 for me.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Does the report include replacing a Tesla battery? What’s the expected battery life?

From what I can tell - the report is on owner reported maintenance costs over 10 years. If the batter replacement is in there - I'd expect an owner to report what it cost them.

I'm not a Tesla fan boi do I don't know for sure but I believe only the Tesla S was available in 2014? The value of a used 2014 Tesla Model S ranges from $7,477 to $18,273, based on vehicle condition, mileage, and options. per the web right now.

I bought a Tacoma last fall. I expect in 2032 it it will be worth considerably more than 7500 bucks and I didn't pay 70k for it either (at the 60KwH level - base)

Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
Toyota is third. Four out of five are American name plates, with Tesla being the lowest maintenance costs over a 10 year life span.

Tesla
Buick
Toyota
Lincoln
Ford

There's a pretty graph in the link.....

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-maintenance/the-cost-of-car-ownership-a1854979198/

"When comparing cumulative costs by brand for years one through five and six through 10, we found that Tesla had the lowest maintenance costs. At the opposite end of the rankings, several German automakers are clustered as the most expensive brands, namely Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche.

“If you are considering a luxury model, it may be wise to purchase one from a domestic brand that may have lower maintenance and repair costs,” says Elek. “For example, over 10 years, Mercedes-Benz models are more than double the cost to maintain and repair as those from Lincoln.”

Government Motors didn't make the list????
Shocking!

Now do women.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Toyota is third. Four out of five are American name plates, with Tesla being the lowest maintenance costs over a 10 year life span.

Tesla
Buick
Toyota
Lincoln
Ford

There's a pretty graph in the link.....

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-maintenance/the-cost-of-car-ownership-a1854979198/

"When comparing cumulative costs by brand for years one through five and six through 10, we found that Tesla had the lowest maintenance costs. At the opposite end of the rankings, several German automakers are clustered as the most expensive brands, namely Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche.

“If you are considering a luxury model, it may be wise to purchase one from a domestic brand that may have lower maintenance and repair costs,” says Elek. “For example, over 10 years, Mercedes-Benz models are more than double the cost to maintain and repair as those from Lincoln.”

Government Motors didn't make the list????
Shocking!

Now do women.

Buick get sold?

Me

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

The report includes all maintenance and repairs. Teslas have a pretty low battery failure rate, and battery life is >80% for more than 300K miles. They have run a few Tesla's in taxi and shuttle service to a million miles without battery replacement.

The official Tesla line is that the battery will last the economic life of the vehicle (150 - 200K) but anecdotally they last way longer than that.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of these magazines did an article 2-3 years back about trying to drive your vehicle to 200k or something along those lines. Their suggestions were to buy a Toyota or Honda, and if you needed a truck, an F150. I thought it was kind of funny as my driveway contained an older Accord, older Highlander, a new Camry, and a fairly new F150. I've only been buying my own cars for a bit over 20 years, but have had quite a number of previously-owned Toyota products across all those miles. Very few "oddball" maintenance items other than the typical consumable items like wheel bearings, belts, brakes, etc. One SUV needed a fuel pump at 50k miles or so, but it was under warranty. Appeared to be just a bad part.

Serious question though, how are hybrids holding up now that some have some age on them? I see that the 2025 model Camry is only going to come in a hybrid version. Part of the appeal of the Camry to me has been the conventional engine and transmission, as you are likely getting a good 12-15 years out of the car with pretty good resale. Not sure about all the hybrid components at 10+yrs and 200k+ miles.

Last edited by JPro; 04/22/24.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I didn’t read the consumer report. I also don’t believe anything I hear and half of what I see.

I worked for a large corporation. We had a lot of company cars. I put a lot of miles in company cars running the road in sales. We had Ford Taurus first few years. Way more problems with Fords. We switched to GM. Ford’s couldn’t hold a candle to the Chevy’s. Some of the guys never changed oil, drove the crap out of them and they just kept going. We had Impalas for 6-8 years I can’t recall, those were good cars. They were never in the shop, brakes, tires that’s it.

After they quit making Impalas, we got Equinox and other chevys. They were good cars too as far as holding up.

I read an article a while back about Lincoln riding really good, lots of good tech stuff but had Maintanence and mechanical issues. So who know what to believe.

I know this, my wife gets an new Cadillac about every 3 years or so. She is on her third or fourth one. Only one had been in the shop and that’s cause I pulled out in front of a car and wrecked it. Zero problems with her Cadillac's.

Last edited by GringoCazador; 04/22/24.

Thanks, Billy
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
I didn’t read the consumer report. I also don’t believe anything I hear and half of what I see.

I worked for a large corporation. We had a lot of company cars. I put a lot of miles in company cars running the road in sales. We had Ford Taurus first few years. Way more problems with Fords. We switched to GM. Ford’s couldn’t hold a candle to the Chevy’s. Some of the guys never changed oil, drove the crap out of them and they just kept going. We had Impalas for 6-8 years I can’t recall, those were good cars. They were never in the shop, brakes, tires that’s it.

After they quit making Impalas, we got Equinox and other chevys. They were good cars too as far as holding up.

I read an article a while back about Lincoln riding really good, lots of good tech stuff but had Maintanence and mechanical issues. So who know what to believe.

I know this, my wife gets an new Cadillac about every 3 years or so. She is on her third or fourth one. Only one had been in the shop and that’s cause I pulled out in front of a car and wrecked it. Zero problems with her Cadillac's.

My cousin owns his own auto repair shop. Equinox's alone put him in a new Harley every year.

Me

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by flintlocke
It galls the hell out of me to say it...but talking about pickups, I've been a Ford hater since the '90's when I worked for a company that had a fleet (on any given work day, 1 or 2 out of 11 would be broke down)...but locally UPS runs Ford gasser 4x4's, and they go every day. My route driver just got a new one, the old one was still running at 430,000 but the tranny started acting funny.
I will say as far as Consumer Reports...maintenance costs don't tell the story...the only thing that matters is smile per mile, which includes everything.

Fixed it. wink

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think all the auto companies have had problems with different models over the years. The company I worked for bought bulk contract vehicles ever few years. We had a lot of Chevy full size vans once in the early 2000's that had re-occurring problems with the fuel pump. Some vans had as many as five replaced at$750 or so (I think). They were in the gas tank so it required dropping the tank to fix I suppose. They finally found our it was a wiring problem. Toyota Tundra 2003 vintage had problems with the gas filler tube but never had a recall. Chevy PU's have light problems. So does Dodge. Ford has had their share of issues. European luxury autos are gosh awful expensive to even do maintenance work on.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Consumer Reports is doo doo.
+1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

The report includes all maintenance and repairs. Teslas have a pretty low battery failure rate, and battery life is >80% for more than 300K miles. They have run a few Tesla's in taxi and shuttle service to a million miles without battery replacement.

The official Tesla line is that the battery will last the economic life of the vehicle (150 - 200K) but anecdotally they last way longer than that.

So batteries can be endlessly recharged and last forever?

How do do batteries and chat in EVs perform in winter temps ??

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Consumer Reports is doo doo.
+1

It’s been a joke resource for clueless uneducated idiots like motor trend and car and driver

Surprised anyone with a brain would use this a a believable source

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Teal
Interesting - even with not paying for oil changes, and most oil changes these days are expensive synthetics at a dealer (talking those likely to answer a CR survey) - Tesla is only ~800 less over 10 years to maintain than an ICE engine.

Course all maintenance is basically voluntary - that is, I don't necessarily HAVE to drain diffs, trans etc when they recommend it and I'd bet quite a few don't.

What would interest me - run a car for 10 years doing nothing but oil changes, wiper blades and brakes as needed - see what car is in better shape at the end of that. Any car can be perfect after 10 years if you dump enough cash in it over the 10. What car is best if you DON'T?

(10 years isn't all that long really these days either. Longer than most will keep the vehicle but still, 120-140k miles aren't a lot on a vehicle these days)
Except we here , Out West especially, put more like 20k miles a year on our vehicles.

You're right about the costs there though, that $800 isn't much, about the cost of an oil change at some shops once a year for the ten.

Maintenance aside................what are the costs per mile over 10 years total? Assuming the same basic maintenance schedule in the same location perhaps, as hourly rates for labor vary a bit.

Just had my 2019 4Runner serviced last week at the dealer. Oil change, tire rotation, all new filters. $300.

Forgot to mention truck had a little less than 31K miles.

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/22/24.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Other than a Volvo XC that I'll never get rid of nothing but Fords this century .Very happy NO major failures.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I am thinking that is wrong. Tesla batteries would cost more than a transmission and engine change. Woman here bought a Tesla and her electricity bill tripled the first full month. Significantly more than her gasoline bill was. She wanted to trade it in and the dealer won't buy it back and nobody else will either.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Teal
Interesting - even with not paying for oil changes, and most oil changes these days are expensive synthetics at a dealer (talking those likely to answer a CR survey) - Tesla is only ~800 less over 10 years to maintain than an ICE engine.

Course all maintenance is basically voluntary - that is, I don't necessarily HAVE to drain diffs, trans etc when they recommend it and I'd bet quite a few don't.

What would interest me - run a car for 10 years doing nothing but oil changes, wiper blades and brakes as needed - see what car is in better shape at the end of that. Any car can be perfect after 10 years if you dump enough cash in it over the 10. What car is best if you DON'T?

(10 years isn't all that long really these days either. Longer than most will keep the vehicle but still, 120-140k miles aren't a lot on a vehicle these days)
I average 35-45 K miles a year on my trucks.

Ain't gonna buy a fancy golf cart to drive.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,677
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.