Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal
I'd stop but the dog shouldn't be running free.

Can't blame a dog for being a dog and doing dog things tho and that's why I'd stop. On the owners to take the responsibility - dog shouldn't pay for that. Stop and check out the dog.

Yep

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do I see the dog run off like it's okay in this scenario?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
depends on the circumstances, if I'm in heavy traffic I'm not braking much less stopping.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I seen the entire county sheriff dept go ape schit ovr a loose [bleep] biting a deputy last week šŸ¤Æ

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Don't stop if it is on the rez.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What would Deflave do?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I was driving home one night about 1am after a busy night working at the rural hospital. It was the middle of winter and it was during a snowstorm. I was in my Chevy Blazer doing about 40-45 in a 60 zone when a coyote came bolting out from my right coming off the Columbia River like a lot of animals did at night. I only had a split second to react and if I hit the brakes I would have gone into a slide so I just kept my foot steady on the gas pedal and he went under the right front tire and then the right rear tire. I center punched him with both tires and watched him pile up and tumbleā€¦.he was a goner and I didnā€™t break speed. It didnā€™t make me feel good but I was not going to wreck my rig and likely hurt myself over something that was not preventable in any case.

Another evening after returning from my 3 hour round trip to Wenatchee I was 2 miles from home when I rounded a bend doing 45 in a 45 zone, as I rounded the bend there was a HUGE black bear on the right fog line. He was the biggest black bear Iā€™ve ever seen in person and I hit the brakes knowing that he would have won the fight with my Blazer. He just looked up at me as if to say ā€œslow down buddy or youā€™ll kill yourselfā€ā€¦I swerved around him and I wanted to stop to watch him but I was on a blind corner and thought better about it. He had the thickest blackest coat that was almost iridescent in the May sunlight, truly a beautiful creature that was king of that area. A few days later I saw the Washington Fish and Goons setting up a couple of barrel trapsā€¦.he obviously got into something that he shouldnā€™t have. I donā€™t know if they got him but knowing Washington Fish and Goons I doubt they had the intelligence to outsmart the old boarā€¦Iā€™d say itā€™s more likely that one of the Goons got trapped and the big bear was never seen again. šŸ˜‚

ļæ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.ļæ½ ļæ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by GAGoober
What would Deflave do?

Bark, and chase the car, most likely! He does have canine ancestry, after all!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In this day and age where people call themselves their dogs ā€œparentsā€ and the dogs their ā€œfur babiesā€ you run a real risk of serious drama.

Stopping to check the dog and let the owner know is my default setting, but depending where it was and the kind of dog I may not. In my neighborhood, absolutely. I know all the dogs and their owners. On a Rez? Haha not a chance in hell. Might back over it to put it out of its misery. No way in hell itā€™s going to see a vet.

MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I seen the entire county sheriff dept go ape schit ovr a loose [bleep] biting a deputy last week šŸ¤Æ

Why did the deputy bite another deputy?ā€¦justified or just an emotional outburst?

ļæ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.ļæ½ ļæ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
IC B3

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Why did the deputy bite another deputy?ā€¦justified or just an emotional outburst?
Dog bit the LEO

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have hit a couple of dogs. I didn't stop. I was out of town both times. 2 lane highway rural area. Last one I hit was a.pit bull. Chased my truck and didn't notice the boat trailer. Other was a walker hound chasing a deer. No one around to talk to.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
In this day and age where people call themselves their dogs ā€œparentsā€ and the dogs their ā€œfur babiesā€ you run a real risk of serious drama.

Stopping to check the dog and let the owner know is my default setting, but depending where it was and the kind of dog I may not. In my neighborhood, absolutely. I know all the dogs and their owners. On a Rez? Haha not a chance in hell. Might back over it to put it out of its misery. No way in hell itā€™s going to see a vet.

So very true! People have tried to humanize dogs to an absolutely pathetic degree that Iā€™d have to think twice depending on the neighborhood. I get so frustrated by seeing their little sh.itdog in every store as if itā€™s a childā€¦.hellā€¦I carry for protection against dogs as much as I carry for protection against people. The only time in 30+ years of carrying literally everywhere, everyday that I pulled my sidearm was when a Rottweiler from a drug house came bolting at me and my wife while she was holding our infant son. My G21 came out of my holster so fast that I still donā€™t know how I did it, muscle memory I suppose. That Rottweiler instantly came to a screeching halt as if it was a human being that knew it was about to be shot. I really REALLY REALLY wanted to shoot that miserable worthless mutt but it stopped so fast and backed up that I didnā€™t feel justified any longer. It started jogging away and looking over its shoulder at me but it instinctively knew that I wasnā€™t afraid and I wasnā€™t backing down. I took a few steps forward trying to get it to turn around (I HATED the scumbag that owned it) so I could kill it and dump it on their front steps but the dog took off for home and never came back.

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd stop to check on a dog.

Fugk yo cat.

ā€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.ā€
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'd stop to check on a dog.

Fugk yo cat.

Cats donā€™t enter the discussion lol

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My house has a shallow driveway that leads into a relatively busy neighborhood street. When our lab was 4 mo old, in her excitement she ran out in the street and was hit by a passing truck. The driver was going too fast, but also it was a puppy with the zoomies that I should have controlled better.

Because it was safe to do so, he slammed on his brakes. My dog's back leg was trapped under his front tire. He backed off it, got out, and immediately started to help me stop bleeding and get the dog wrapped up so I could get him to the vet.

There's no sense in assigning blame in that situation -- he was going too fast and I wasn't in control of my dog, but either way it's just something that happened.

I am very grateful that he stopped to help me. Because of his help I was able to get my pup to the vet and she (eventually) recovered, although she was 'degloved' halfway up her leg, and lost half her back foot.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Was FedEx making a delivery?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I hit a doe yesterday morning, stopped to make sure she wasn't ok, the FJ Cruiser was skinned up, so coming home an hour later I checked the doe again...still dead...so out comes the backstraps. Ordered the front bumper cover last night, 175 bucks. Anybody ever eat 175 dollar deer meat? It better be good at that price. Should'a took the one good hindquarter...but I was afraid the Highway Patrol would come along...meat price would have been a lot higher.
Around here if you want to salvage meat from the deer you just call the sherrif and get a possesion permit for the carcass.
Doesn't apply to dogs!

Last edited by MikeL2; 04/22/24.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Higginez
Say you hit someones dog while you were driving too fast on a narrow street in a small town.

Are you stopping to see if he's ok?

Dog is fine btw.

Can't believe the nerve of some MF'ers though.

The more relevant question...

Say you hit some FedEx driver while you were driving too fast on a narrow street in a small town.

Are you stopping to see if he/she/it is ok?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am glad I do not know the answer, never hit a dog. As mentioned earlier the way some people make their dogs part of the family I don't like the idea of telling them I did it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,302
Posts18,487,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.