C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by GAGoober
What would Deflave do?

He would weep...

Well... maybe not.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Most people don't care.

I'd be surprised if they'd stop if they hit a kid.

Dimocraps don't.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I would stop, unless it was a pit bull.

Me too. In fact, I speed up to hit pits. wink

Ust kidding, Paul. smile

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/22/24.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by GAGoober
What would Deflave do?

Pitch dawg food in tha highway?

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I seen the entire county sheriff dept go ape schit ovr a loose [bleep] biting a deputy last week 🤯

Why did the deputy bite another deputy?…justified or just an emotional outburst?

She was a biotch. That's what they do. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Troutnut
I've hit one . Me and a friend were going bow hunting years ago. Narrow back road in Wva wasn't going that fast but a beagle ran out in front of my truck. Nothing I could do. I stopped and knocked on the door. Guy said he had just started doing that when he got older.

Did the same thing to the neighbor's blue heeler. I stopped and talked to Junior, who wasn't happy about it, but said he'd taken to chasing cars lately. He came out after my truck, trying to bite the left rear tire, and I squished his head. He said it was his best dog, but had gotten all caught up in chasing vehicles. I'd known Junior and his father his whole life, they lived a couple of miles from Dad's place. Still feel bad about it, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
In this day and age where people call themselves their dogs “parents” and the dogs their “fur babies” you run a real risk of serious drama.

Stopping to check the dog and let the owner know is my default setting, but depending where it was and the kind of dog I may not. In my neighborhood, absolutely. I know all the dogs and their owners. On a Rez? Haha not a chance in hell. Might back over it to put it out of its misery. No way in hell it’s going to see a vet.

So very true! People have tried to humanize dogs to an absolutely pathetic degree that I’d have to think twice depending on the neighborhood. I get so frustrated by seeing their little sh.itdog in every store as if it’s a child….hell…I carry for protection against dogs as much as I carry for protection against people. The only time in 30+ years of carrying literally everywhere, everyday that I pulled my sidearm was when a Rottweiler from a drug house came bolting at me and my wife while she was holding our infant son. My G21 came out of my holster so fast that I still don’t know how I did it, muscle memory I suppose. That Rottweiler instantly came to a screeching halt as if it was a human being that knew it was about to be shot. I really REALLY REALLY wanted to shoot that miserable worthless mutt but it stopped so fast and backed up that I didn’t feel justified any longer. It started jogging away and looking over its shoulder at me but it instinctively knew that I wasn’t afraid and I wasn’t backing down. I took a few steps forward trying to get it to turn around (I HATED the scumbag that owned it) so I could kill it and dump it on their front steps but the dog took off for home and never came back.

Dang. About the same thing happened to me once. People a few blocks west had one that got out of the yard at times I heard.

Neighbor boy said he and a bud had walked the alley and it got out and came for them and they barely made it over someones nearby back yard fence down the alley. Tbey said it had got out once and killed the water meter readers small dog.

I would drive that alley next to a cattle pasture with my GSP loping along behind me. One day after we had passed the place the Rot got out and came for Juels. I had been watching the rear view and stopped and told her to "load up" and she jumped in the bed of the truck with the tailgate down.

Rot kept coming to kill regardless and I stepped out with my AR 223 and and was just lowering down on it when it suddenly threw on the brakes and stopped. It decided I wasn't afraid of it and turned for home.

A kid came out from the gate the Rot had gotten out and saw I had leveled down on it. He was apoplectic someone would shoot his dog.

He got a clue.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/22/24.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 12344mag
That's how I got my dog, some one hit her, animal control picked her up put a 5 day hold on her and had her scheduled for euthanasia because she was deemed injured to badly, and unadoptable,

Of course she was mean she had a broken hip, two broken ribs, skin scraped of to the meat and several large lacerations scared schitless and they had done nothing for her.

The organization that I got her from decided they could save her and train her but they discovered as soon as she had gotten pain meds and out of the kennal enviroment she calmed right down and became a very sweet girl.

She has done nothing but improved since I have gotten her.

I did hit a cat one time and went to the house that I thought it belonged to, I ended up helping the gal bury her kitty.

Sorry about the cat. But, great to hear about the girlie. Good on you, Paul. Hope she continues to improve. Not my last dog, but the one before. I got him when he jumped up in my car with me while I was getting it ready to sell. He was a mess. Someone had put him out. Had him for 12.5 years until he got hit on Christmas Day and killed right in front of my house. Buried him in the back yard that day. Eyes leaked for days. Devil step daughter was "watching" him. Good boy, Buck.

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/22/24.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by 12344mag
That's how I got my dog, some one hit her, animal control picked her up put a 5 day hold on her and had her scheduled for euthanasia because she was deemed injured to badly, and unadoptable,

Of course she was mean she had a broken hip, two broken ribs, skin scraped of to the meat and several large lacerations scared schitless and they had done nothing for her.

The organization that I got her from decided they could save her and train her but they discovered as soon as she had gotten pain meds and out of the kennal enviroment she calmed right down and became a very sweet girl.

She has done nothing but improved since I have gotten her.

I did hit a cat one time and went to the house that I thought it belonged to, I ended up helping the gal bury her kitty.

Sorry about the cat. But, great to hear about the girlie. Good on you, Paul. Hope she continues to improve. Not my last dog, but the one before. I got him when he jumped up in my car with me while I was getting it ready to sell. He was a mess. Someone had put him out. Had him for 12.5 years until he got hit on Christmas Day and killed right in front of my house. Buried him in the back yard that day. Eyes leaked for days. Devil step daughter was "watching" him. Good boy, Buck.

Dang. Sorry to hear that.

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Higginez
Say you hit someones dog while you were driving too fast on a narrow street in a small town.

Are you stopping to see if he's ok?

Dog is fine btw.

Can't believe the nerve of some MF'ers though.

I'd stop - I'd want somebody to tell me, if it was my dog.

I hit a Doberman in the highway at somewhere close to midnight on a stormy night headed to South Idaho to elk hunt the next day. I was in still college and making the typically dumb-@ssed 24 hour thunder run into the woods, then back to school. Old Chevy Luv (Isuzu) pickup that ran forever was the flavor of the day.

It had been cold and raining off and on all night, I was tired and the dog was in the lane before I saw him. It was a solid hit - the dog yelped once and went under the front bumper and wheels. What I didn't know was that the pickup had picked up a half an inch of ice on the forward edges of the bumper and grill. When we hit, the ice broke loose and and sprayed up over the windshield. I nearly puked as I though it was bone and dog chunks coming apart.

I stopped, and backed up to where the dog was laying. He was dead, and nothing else could be done at that point. I moved the carcass off of the road to the shoulder, and looked for any lights on in the area. There was one houselight on about 200 yards up the highway, so I pulled in, and knocked on the door. A younger (but older than me) lady finally cracked the door with a shotgun in her hand. We exchanged a few tense words until she figured out that I was just a traveler that was reporting an accident in front of her home.

I told her about the dog - she described the dog to a "T" including the collar - I was thinking "Oh great - I just killed the family's prized pet".

I was expecting to get a bill - what she said was: "Please sir, get back in you truck and keep on going. That damn dog is the neighbors and he runs all over the place growling and threatening the kids when they're out playing - he's nearly bitten two of my children". "Thank you - this is great news - we won't be burying a carcass somewhere else this Fall."

I didn't feel good about not telling the actual owner, and still don't.

But I could tell she was greatly relieved that the animal was gone - and that it could be attributed somebody on the highway, and not be a "3-S" problem.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/22/24.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not a dog and I didn't do the hitting. I was n my way to pick up my date to do dinner and a movie. I lived in San Francisco at the time and she lived in San Bruno. I usually took the back road into Bruno as is was more of a short cut but one had to be careful when the tule fog rolled in. Time to slow down, sometimes way down. I hit a patch that was really thick and had drope down ro about 30 mph ahe a dude in a brand new Ford whipped around me and kept going, fog and all. I see tail light flashing and the Ford kind of jerked a bit as if it'd bounced off something and when I got up to it the front end had some serious damage. He'd hit a deer, I asked him if he was OK and he said other than a bump on the head felt OK. He wasn't wearing his seat belt. I checked on the deer and saw it was dead with an apparent broken neck. I dragged the deer and put it in my trunk, helped the guy push his car off the road and gave him a rid to a gas station so he could call a tow. Picked up my girl friend and told her dinner would be a bit later than planned, went to my place and hung the deer in the garage and did a quick gut job. I did change to grubbies to do the job. Took the lady to a place I know that will serve after hours and then to an all night movie. About a week later the lady had the pleasure of grill venison chops. She'd never eaten them before and asked for seconds. Dunno how the guy in that Ford ended up on getting his car fixed.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Say you hit someones dog while you were driving too fast on a narrow street in a small town.

Dog is fine btw.

Me, I stop and try to find the owner.

Some interesting discussion here.

Not that it matters to some folks here, but might want to check the State laws for operating a motor vehicle.

In my checking online to refresh my memory, I not only found out I was correct about Cali, but some other States also require a person to stop and contact the owner of any property damaged by their vehicle while being operated on a public road. And many States consider dogs as personal property, therefor the requirement to stop and notify the owner of any damage.

Interesting thing I found out about CA too, while the owner may be able to sue the driver for damages to the property, the vehicle owner may make a claim for damages to the their property also as some sort of shared responsibility deal.

As mentioned, I stop, and have done so a few times in my life. Never successfully located an "owner" though. Had a couple dogs get bounced and run off too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Dog is fine btw.

I've been known to play fast and loose with speed limits, but can honestly say if I did hit a dog, it wouldn't happen because I was speeding on a narrow street in a small town. Residential areas, I'm slow and careful, just waiting for something or someone that wants to inadvertently commit suicide.

Were I to hit a dog, I'd do my best to contact an owner, and render aid to the animal as necessary.

Glad your pup's ok.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dog owners in town that let their dogs run loose and get run over are probably like dog owners in the country who let their dogs run loose and chase cows. Seems like a dog owner problem to me.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Dog is fine btw.

The more relevant question...

Say you hit some FedEx driver while you were driving too fast on a narrow street in a small town.

Are you stopping to see if he/she/it is ok?

Maybe Fed Ex, but not a postal worker. 🤣

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've hit a couple of dogs and feel bad about it, but I ain't stopping and dealing with some pissed off owner. Now on the rare occasion that I'm succesful in hitting a cat I always stop and say, "Haha mf'er, I killed your cat"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Waylaid a rockwilera (as the groids call em) mowed that somebitch down front-to-back with a Dodge Colt. Raining, midnight, in the road of a state highway.

Keep your mutts at home on a logging chain.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
I've been known to play fast and loose with speed limits, but can honestly say if I did hit a dog, it wouldn't happen because I was speeding on a narrow street in a small town. Residential areas, I'm slow and careful, just waiting for something or someone that wants to inadvertently commit suicide.

Me too, as a rule, but IME at any given time stupidity, mine and/or theirs, is just a heartbeat away.

Haven’t hit a dog, been lucky, I’ve hit a rabbit and once center-punched a Rhode Island Red hen as big as a basketball, plus a few random small birds.

I did hit a stray cat, with a motorcycle yet, I tried to avoid it, if I just woulda held course me and the cat wouldn’t have intersected. Rolled over it with the front wheel, prob’ly 700lbs of man and machine. The cat sprinted off, I doubt it got far.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Me too, as a rule, but IME at any given time stupidity, mine and/or theirs, is just a heartbeat away.

Haven’t hit a dog, been lucky, I’ve hit a rabbit and once center-punched a Rhode Island Red hen as big as a basketball, plus a few random small birds.

I did hit a stray cat, with a motorcycle yet, I tried to avoid it, if I just woulda held course me and the cat wouldn’t have intersected. Rolled over it with the front wheel, prob’ly 700lbs of man and machine. The cat sprinted off, I doubt it got far.
I hit a flock of about 15 guinea fowl going 75, lol talk about epic, fcking feathers everywhere.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Give or take, 1.75 Million miles in 24yrs traveling for work. I hit 1 deer, pre-dawn during the rut chasing a doe across the highway while we were on our way to MT to go deer hunting. Delayed the hunt about 30min just making sure everything was OK to continue. Drove around with a dent and 1 headlight for the rest of the week. Beyond the 1 deer, I've hit 1 raccoon, multiple upland birds (pheasants, sharptail grouse, Hun partridge), had a ruffed grouse fly into the side of my pickup once.

The one that made me feel the worst was momma goose decided it was time to get out of the median and lead her brood across the Interstate. I was in a construction zone, pulling a trailer with a small bit of lumber to be returned after building a deck. It was a busy stretch and a construction zone crossed over and only had 2 lanes of opposing traffic, and I had at least a dozen cars close behind me. I got the bulk of the brood with the front bumper. As they rolled under the pickup and then the trailer the 3/4 grown goslings hit a lot of stuff. Tires, diff, rear-end housing, safety-chains on the trailer and both trailer axels. As Stx said, "Epic Feathers Everywhere". I never even clicked off the cruise as hard-braking wasn't going to save 1 goose and there's a good chance someone behind would've ended up in an accident or in the ditch.

As to the OP, maybe. A dog that's a fairly obvious "Car-Chaser", I probably wouldn't stop.

Last edited by horse1; 04/23/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 16penny, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.