Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Are these rifles very popular in Alaska?

2 b 1 ask 1 !
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have 3 of them, that I replaced the stocks on shortly after buying them, when they were in production. I have another that I bought a year or two ago, that still has the Zytel stock. I would say the stainless barrel and action are definitely popular. The stock itself, some liked and some not. My biggest issue was that, there seemed no eye pleasing method for reducing the LOP and maintaining a decent recoil pad. No doubt the stocks are tough. I am sure there are still plenty in use, as issued.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like mine, would love to find another. Tough setup.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Are they really worth $1,100-$1,200 up there? In what calibers?

2 b 1 ask 1 !
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had one in 300 win mag, when I lived in Alaska. Had a store in Valdez and fairbanks(the prospector apparel and sport goods, little plug there). We sold as many of them as all the other SS long guns available at that time combined. They seemed to be well liked but everybody bitched about how ugly they were. They are. a very durable control feed action, and by in larger accurate. If I remember right ruger started making their own barrels in The late 90’s, greatly improving the overall accuracy of their firearms. My 300 shot fabulously? really liked nosler partitions which suited me to a T. Killed my largest brownie on Kodiak island fall of 93. Sold it ,regrettably, to a good buddy when I retired in 98 and moved back to home state of Wyoming, Eished I’d kept it, though I had a kimber of Oregon in same cal, that shot just as good , but was to pretty to hunt with in Alaska.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Correction I misspoke when I said ruger started making their own barrels in the late 90’s , actually it was the early 90’s.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Love my boat paddle in 30-06. Would be a buyer if anyone is selling in any caliber.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been given, and purchased, a number of the old Zytel “ boat paddle” stocks and have them on most of my Rugers. Including my 375 and 416 Rugers. It’s no problem adding a thicker recoiled pad if desired, but here in Alaska one typically has on a few layers of clothing and their is nothing wrong with the hocky puck hard original pad.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by GoZags
Love my boat paddle in 30-06. Would be a buyer if anyone is selling in any caliber.
Bulletfarm in Soldotna has one for sale ....338 WM. There was also one in 300 WM for awhile, but it recently sold.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will ad that the term boat paddle stock is a misnomer. They make terrible paddles ! And damned poor wading staffs too. Moving water catches in the center of the I beam construction and disrupts the flow. A good wood stock makes a better paddle

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
always wanted one in 30-06 with iron sights. they seem as rare as hens teeth, so I found a takeoff stock and plan to buy a guide gun to put in it someday.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Phoneman
always wanted one in 30-06 with iron sights. they seem as rare as hens teeth, so I found a takeoff stock and plan to buy a guide gun to put in it someday.

Same, I missed a couple and I'm still kicking myself.

R
Online Content
R
I absolutely love my .308 ruger zytel boat paddle . on the bike ,in the boat ,on my back , just perfection to me .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
I will ad that the term boat paddle stock is a misnomer. They make terrible paddles ! And damned poor wading staffs too. Moving water catches in the center of the I beam construction and disrupts the flow. A good wood stock makes a better paddle
I wonder if a hole saw with 2 or 3 holes through the thin spot of the stock would help?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My old neighbor bought one to kill a Buffalo on Ted Turners ranch in New Mexico. He shot it (338) and the narrow pad hurt him. He gave it to me for $200. I didn't like the recoil either so i sold it to another buddy who also hates it. I have no idea what became of it
My buddy shot his Bison with his bow

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Limbsaver recoil pad makes a world of difference. There must be other brands that work.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Picked a 300 winny up when I lived in AK. Planned on a custom using the action. Moved back to MI and now I haven't done anything with it in the past 11 years.

I always thought they were ugly.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah they a tad ugly. But those who love’em, love’em. They are tough.

I’m not a fan. Didn’t find them comfortable, even added a recoil pad. Never was able to warm up to them.

So, those stocks do sell well on eBay. One can recoup one’s investment pretty well.

I got a Boyd Classic, removed a bunch of material including the cheek piece, hollowed out the butt stock to get weight down. I like it much better.

And the boat paddle bought a lot more than the Boyd Classic cost. So win, win, at least for me.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think everyone I’ve ran into here in AK with one, it was either .30-06 or .300 WM. There was a guy with one at the range 2 weeks ago that had the iron sights on it in .30-06. He said it was the first gun he ever bought and he said he thought he paid $800 for it new in the 90’s. He had a Leupold scope on it. So maybe he was talking total price with scope. I told him the .300 WM Hawkeye I got in 2018 was only $600 new.

They are a rifle that seemed to be loved or hated, depending on the area. I lived in MT for 3 years and they were pretty popular there as well at the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JustLucky
Limbsaver recoil pad makes a world of difference. There must be other brands that work.

Most any pad will fit, the only problem for some is that it makes the stock too long.
I have cut the stock and built up the thinner inner I beam with Devcon and added a decelerator recoiled pad.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 53 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.