Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Had my new Garmin Xero out yesterday. The thing was picking up every shot until I shot some 75 grain ELD’s from my 22-250. It tried to pick up a couple of them, but it just wouldn’t do it. It seems like I remember MD having this same problem with a LabRadar and .224 boat tail bullets. Is there a fix?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had that same problem with 75gr ELDMs and the LabRadar, and have not had my new Garmin loose one single shot, not one.

Battery? Relative positioning to the muzzle?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by chamois
I had that same problem with 75gr ELDMs and the LabRadar, and have not had my new Garmin loose one single shot, not one.

Battery? Relative positioning to the muzzle?

It sounds like the unit may not have been properly positioned. I haven't heard anyone say that they had their Garmin misread or not read at all. It might happen, but I think that it will be a rare event.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had mine out this weekend as well and shot 4 different pistols over the Garmin and it never missed a shot. I also ran a couple of AR's by it and it never missed one of those either. I have said this before but, to say I am impressed with this little thing would be an understatement.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the first rounds I shot with my Garmin was the 204 Ruger 39 grain Blitzking. Even with the boat tail, it never missed a shot.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Had my new Garmin Xero out yesterday. The thing was picking up every shot until I shot some 75 grain ELD’s from my 22-250. It tried to pick up a couple of them, but it just wouldn’t do it. It seems like I remember MD having this same problem with a LabRadar and .224 boat tail bullets. Is there a fix?

Actually it was some boattail 6mm bullet, maybe a Hornady ELD, which had a tiny rear end--and the Labradar has been reading other bullets perfectly before that, so was correctly positioned. I liked the Labradar in general, but it had too many limits (including velocity) to be of general use to me.

Had to take another chronograph along just in case that happened, which was generally a $130 ProChrono--which "read" the same bullet perfectly. And that was the incident that caused me to sell my Labradar....

Haven't tried a Garmin (or the new Labradar) and probably won't--due to being about 90% retired, and not having to shoot at a public range, so setting up a chronograph in front of the bench isn't a problem....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by chesterwy

Actually it was some boattail 6mm bullet, maybe a Hornady ELD, which had a tiny rear end--and the Labradar has been reading other bullets perfectly before that, so was correctly positioned. I liked the Labradar in general, but it had too many limits (including velocity) to be of general use to me.

Had to take another chronograph along just in case that happened, which was generally a $130 ProChrono--which "read" the same bullet perfectly. And that was the incident that caused me to sell my Labradar....

Haven't tried a Garmin (or the new Labradar) and probably won't--due to being about 90% retired, and not having to shoot at a public range, so setting up a chronograph in front of the bench isn't a problem....

Velocity was why I couldn’t buy a Labradar. My 17s would not be read. I have a Garmin to try.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought a Magneto Speed after witnessing issues with the LR, including ones where the owner still had to call a ceasefire because he set his up on a tripod just in front of the bench and then again to adjust the position. When the Garmin appeared, it checked all the boxes and I jumped right on it. Very pleased so far, no regrets.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I bought a Magneto Speed after witnessing issues with the LR, including ones where the owner still had to call a ceasefire because he set his up on a tripod just in front of the bench and then again to adjust the position. When the Garmin appeared, it checked all the boxes and I jumped right on it. Very pleased so far, no regrets.

No need to set up the LR that way, he was doing it wrong.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Pappy348

No need to set up the LR that way, he was doing it wrong.

No need to be an inconsiderate old fuque either, but he was anyway…

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My Garmin missed a couple of shots on Friday. I was shooting 30gr VMax loads from a Single Six and the velocity was hovering just above and below the 1700fps threshold. Missed two IIRC. Didn’t pay much attention while setting it up so there might be a little user error involved, but it didn’t miss any subsequent shots with other ammo, so I’m going with the first reason.

That Hornady ammo is pretty hot stuff BTW, and shoots really well from my AR. Sportsmans Guide has it on sale now so I just picked up another brick.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only shots my Garmin has missed was because I didn't select the right velocity window.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't seen a missed shot with Garmin providing it was properly set up. I've shot everything from little .17s to .204s up to big cartridges--boat tails, flat base, target bullets, hunting bullets, etc. The only time I've seen one not pick up shots was poor positioning. A gentleman took his out of the box at a match for the first time and ended up positioning it on his SEB rest next to the joystick about 25" from his muzzle. I don't know if it was being obstructed from the rest or too far back. I walked over and moved it when I heard him groaning and it picked up every shot after that. He was happy.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (1OntarioJim, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.