Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Found this coyote taking a nap on a big rock. Offhand shot him in the back of the head/neck with my 17HMR at about 75 yards. He just laid his head down and took the eternal nap.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
He was close and you made a good head shot. That doesn't vindicate hunting with an under powered rifle for the job at hand.

There are lots of cases of deer being shot at 90 or 100 yards and put down with a single 00 buckshot in the neck but a 12 gauge is still a sorry weapon for deer hunting unless used as a slug gun (an accurate one) at fairly close range.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by abbydog
Shot one through the back of the head and out the eye, dropped like a stone without a whimper.
.22 LR would do that, IF you could repeat that shot.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what I've read, nothing will kill a coyote except a 6.5 Cruudmore.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by centershot
Found this coyote taking a nap on a big rock. Offhand shot him in the back of the head/neck with my 17HMR at about 75 yards. He just laid his head down and took the eternal nap.
He was close and you made a good head shot. That doesn't vindicate hunting with an under powered rifle for the job at hand.

There are lots of cases of deer being shot at 90 or 100 yards and put down with a single 00 buckshot in the neck but a 12 gauge is still a sorry weapon for deer hunting unless used as a slug gun (an accurate one) at fairly close range.

Reminds me of the Paul Harvey story where the little kid was tossing star fish back in the ocean. A stranger walked up and said you can't through them all back it won't make any difference. The kid replied, it made a difference for that one.

FWIW: I have shot coyotes with a 30-06 that required backup shots. Shot placement is more important than what your shooting.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ol_mike
On all public land east of the Rockies you're only allowed to use a firearm that is legal for whatever Game is in season. You can't tote a 22-250 during small game season.
Centerfires are allowed during deer/bear seasons- off limits when those seasons end.

Say what? Colorado eastern plains falls into the "east of the Rockies" yet I can carry a 22-250 or 17/204 and hunt coyotes during big game seasons, legally.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've killed 'yotes with a .22LR. Don't use cheap ammo.
Shot a 'yote at about 75 yards with some of the old Win "Wildcat" ammo. I heard the bullet thump home, saw the 'yote jump, yelp and run! Last time I saw him he was nearly a mile away, still covering country!
Taken several with a .22 Hornet. That's a superb 'yote cartridge. The 5.56/.223 is also an excellent 'yote getter.
If I wanted to "reach out and touch" , I'd go .22-250 Rem.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Originally Posted by ol_mike
On all public land east of the Rockies you're only allowed to use a firearm that is legal for whatever Game is in season. You can't tote a 22-250 during small game season.
Centerfires are allowed during deer/bear seasons- off limits when those seasons end.

Say what? Colorado eastern plains falls into the "east of the Rockies" yet I can carry a 22-250 or 17/204 and hunt coyotes during big game seasons, legally.

.22-204 with 75 gr. Swift Scirocco does a job on 'yotes. 100 yds, off hand in my yard.

Smart 'yotes don't come walking thru my yard while I'm out in the shop, Christmas Eve, wrapping presents.

Wrapped this dude up pretty quick.

DRT, although he flopped around a bit, slinging blood everywhere before he gave it up.

BTW, the SSII is a great bullet on hogs. I never killed a deer with it because I never shot one with it, always using bigger stuff.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My go to coyote cartridge is the 220 Swift. I have seen many coyotes hit with the .222 rem run off to be lost. I personally do not see a use for a 17 rimfire. It destroys too much meat on small game, necessitating head shots only and will not reliably drop larger predators. The .22 long rifle is much better for small game than a 17 rimfire or the 22 magnum rimfire in my opinion. For larger than rabbits, I want a center fire cartridge I can reload. You younger folks should consider a 22-250 or a 223 Ackley for coyotes if you want to recover all of them. If you don't want the fur, shoot coyotes with anything you want. A dead coyote is likely even if you don't recover it.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sometimes them running off to die isn't a bad thing.

If in an area where a stinking 'yote carcass isn't an issue, I'm happy to let them go.

Buzzards gotta eat, too. Dead 'yotes are biodegradable; nature takes care of it's own.

Getting rid of the evidence is just something else I don't have to do.

DF

Edited to add, in the spirit of Christmas, the 'yote in the yard photo took a 4 wheeler ride to the back of the pasture, my gift to our local buzzards.

That same rifle took the top of the head off a 4' gator interloping in my pond. He sank, and on the third day, rose. Turtles weren't working on him, so as he drifted near the bank, I looped a small rope around a leg, 4 wheeler dragged him back to about where the 'yote ended up. My wife, watching Swamp People, let me know you had to hit them in the head. I let her know that part of his head went into the air when that 75 gr. SSII hit him. He was sunning himself on an island in the pond where the SSII found him.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/25/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
10 that is not a good comparison. There is only one Pat Sinclair and damn few people who have anywhere near his shooting skills. He uses bigger cartridges now and I am sure there is a reason for that. He shoots predators for a living I'll bet if you asked him to use the 17hmr to do his job he'd laugh then do it because he can but still wouldn't switch.because of it's limitations at range and shooting conditions. I have both the swift and the 17hmr , the only thing common between them is that they are cartridges. With a Swift pd's come apart with a 17 most make it back to hole and bury themselves. Don't know how one can even argue about it. A head shot with anything is usually a drop on the spot deal but how many shooters aim at the head when a chest shot is availible? Out here in Dakota you can get a few dogs as standers or sitting on their mound but after a few shots they go down. Then you either move or settle down to shooting at the top half of their heads as they peek out. 222, 223 are my steady dog getters.mb
I wasn't comparing the 2 and never said the 17 was used exclusively as a coyote round.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
My go to coyote cartridge is the 220 Swift. I have seen many coyotes hit with the .222 rem run off to be lost. I personally do not see a use for a 17 rimfire. It destroys too much meat on small game, necessitating head shots only and will not reliably drop larger predators. The .22 long rifle is much better for small game than a 17 rimfire or the 22 magnum rimfire in my opinion. For larger than rabbits, I want a center fire cartridge I can reload. You younger folks should consider a 22-250 or a 223 Ackley for coyotes if you want to recover all of them. If you don't want the fur, shoot coyotes with anything you want. A dead coyote is likely even if you don't recover it.
A 17 rimfire is very handy in a barn lot or in a somewhat populated area.

Minimal chance of ricochet, that cannot be said for the 22 LR.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/25/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Zeroed at 100 yards the impact is 5" low at 200 yds.! Will ruin a coyote gut at 200 yards!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 04/25/24.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i kill alot of foxes and 'yotes with my 20 Vartarg. the longest shot on a 'yote was 232 yards. what i like about 20VT is the fragmentation of the bullet. it goes in and makes lung soup with chunks of heart. the 20VT will either make a fox/'yote DRT or it will run about 20-30 yards and fall over dead.

i shot a 'yote at 330ish yards, no laser ranger thingy back then, with my Savage m340 in 222 Remington with 50gr Hornady SP and a full load of H322. i sold it after the barrel was fried (6000-7000 rounds from me, i don't know what the number of rounds as i bought it second hand) and i just had have a new Remington m700 in 223 Rem, dummkopf. it was the next to the most inaccurate rifle i ever had. for 25+/- years that is why i no longer own a 223 or a 223 AI.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In response to the OP, after a great deal of experience shooting quite a number of coyotes, I decided that the .17 Remington (25g. bullet) - although quite good in some respects, is not optimal. The noted cartridge less so.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The short answer would be no imo. I hunt with a .17hmr for small game all the time. It wears out rabbits and ground hog size game very well.
And I have killed quite a few coyotes with it, but it’s not an optimal choice for them. With a 17 grain polymer tip even less so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone here wants to be a stunt shooter.
Shooting schidt with the smallest gun imaginable.
Stop fugghing around take the .17 up for Grizz or Brown Bear.

Proud NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I kept a 17 HMR as my beside the back door rifle for a while. I shot 2 coyotes with it - one at 75 yards and the other at 85 yards. In both instances the shots were nearly identical, I shot both in the heart lung area, when they spun to bite at the wound I put another shot into the same place, it slowed them enough that I was able to get head shots to finish them off. After that experience the 17 HMR went back in the safe and a 223 occupies the spot by the back door.

The 17 HMR is a good cartridge for shooting ground squirrels, I know that some folks use them for PD's but I won't. I have seen to many PD crawl-offs - even rodents shouldn't have to suffer.

I have to admit though that the 17 HMR does buid some pressure in a coyotes head.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Everyone here wants to be a stunt shooter.
Shooting schidt with the smallest gun imaginable.
Stop fugghing around take the .17 up for Grizz or Brown Bear.

That brought back a memory. When the 17 Rem was first introduced there was an article in one of the gun rags about the writer taking a grizzly with it, and from what I remember of the article he praised for its killing prowess. Stunt shooting at its finest - I'll bet he had a guide with a big back-up rifle.

Sure wish I could recall the magazine and writer.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a .17 in a Savage bolt rifle. Don't remember the model. It wouldn't come close to being as effective as a .22LR for killing a hog in a trap. I gave it away to a friend that thought he wanted it. He had done me some favors so I told him to take it. He is kind of a gun nut but I don't know what he planned to do with it.

I know he hunts deer with a 7mm RM and a .270W so he is not into hunting with inadequate rifles.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I haven't had a chance to put a .17 bullet into a coyote yet, but barnyard invaders from striped gopher thru raccoon tell me that there is a big difference between the 17gr fmj that most of them walk away from and the 20gr HP that's stopped everything in its tracks.

I haven't tried any of the gummy-tips, and don't see a need to with the HP performance.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (01Foreman400, 338reddog, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 23 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,628
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.