-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
15 years ago an ol shooter named Don Henjum sold me a H&R model 158. Some of you older may remember him in his stories in the old "Black Powder Cartridge Report". His articles were Round and about with Honest Don. Well Don couldn't ever leave good enough alone. He had to change and experiment with every gun that passed through his hands. The H&R started out as a plain ol 44 magnum with micro-groove rifling. He sent it off and had it chambered to .444. Six months later he rechambers a H&R to 30/40 krag. Starting out as a 357 magnum, that gun he called a 38 krag I think. Anyway I end up with the .444 thinking it would be a super starter gun for my son Eric. I worked up loads with an RCBS 44-250 bullet fired unsized with a backward gascheck. With open sights, 4 to 5 inches was normal. Eric got 2 deer with it until he started using a 308 Spanish mauser. This last year I started casting some other 44 moulds working a 44-40 El Tigre. So I thought maybe the H&R was prime to find a new load, as it's been a loaner gun on several occasions, and I never been satisfied with the group size. Plus I was getting some leading even with gas checks. I cast up a bunch of SAECO 270gr bullets from 2 different moulds. Seemed like no matter what I tried not much improvement could be gotten. Hashing this over with a buddy one day he says wanna try some of my heavy LBT 44's? Turns out one is a 300gr and the other is 350gr. I run them through my .429 sizing die and try some of them unsized. Some improvement, but still not what I looking for. Then just for the heck of it I run them over a .431 sizing die. 5 shot groups average 2 1/2". Some as little as 1 1/2". My eyes can't much better anymore witout a high power scope. The load was just interpolated out of datta from several sources and tried it once and haven't seen need to change it. The load is 42gr/RL7 with a REM magnum primer. lube is half Apache blue and half Alox 50/50. Velocity is 1875FPS. That little rifle is quite light, and with that load, you don't want to be target shooting very long....Geo

GB1

E
E
Sounds like you found the right diameter. This rifle you speak of has changed calibers like my daughter changes her clothes (very often)I am new to this forum, and starting to cast my own bullets.I have a Hungarian Steyr in 8x56R, that I am waiting on the brass to arrive. I have slugged the bore and made a chamber casting, so that I can obtain a good seating of the bullet into the throat, to prevent blow by.This little rifle barks as bad as it bites. Earl

Earl, have you been shooting that 1938 nazi marked stuff through your 8x56? I'm trying to work up some loads for mine now but I'll tell ya that 1938 stuff hurts when you shoot it in those little carbines.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Earl, When you said you were waiting for brass,I assume you ment you had ordered from Graf & Sons. The last flyer I got said 30th of October was the earliest you could expect it here in the U.S. I ordered some 7.62X54R brass when they fiest advertised it, and I'm well pleased with it quality. do you have a cast bullet in mind to use?...Geo

E
E
I have fired dirty bird ammo! I dont think I could stand to shoot a lot of this stuff, at one sitting either. Thus the reason to reload. Earl

IC B2

E
E
I did order from Graf and Sons, and am getting impatient. I have often wondered if they threw out the bait to see how many bites they would get, before they actually placed their order!When Feb.04 rolls around it will make it a full year of waiting.I have dealt with them just recently, and have been very satisfied though.On the topic of bullets, I purchased a mold from Mid-Way.I think it is a 220 gr round nose. I haven`t even cast any yet. Do you have any suggestions for a starter load? Earl

E
E
George, I pulled that mould out of the cabinet and it is a Lee 205gr. PN. C329-205-1R, with one ogive radius.Sorry, I didn`t respond sooner. I am preparing for a curio and relic collectors get together, and the boss said my chores have to be done! Have a good day Earl

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Earl, Buffalo Arms has your 8X56R brass on hand in two forms, Some Bertram formed and some other they make themselves for .95 cents if your in a big hurry to load your own, or you could order some of the 7.62X54R and make your own if you have the Hungarian sizing die. It's going to be just a bit short, but I could live with .085 short if I wanted to fire that gun. Do you understand that your Lee mould will be a bit small for your bore? Have found a way to slug it yet? ...Geo

E
E
Hello, I have heard that the Bertram brass is thin, and wears out prematurely. I do have the Hungarian sizing dye, and I may just do what you have suggested. I have heard of guy`s using the surplus steel cases in 54R and shotgun primers. However, this is alot of work.
I did slug the bore and it is .332. I made my own slug of soft lead. I drilled a 21/64 hole in a piece of hard maple and poured it.I was really amazed, at how uniformed it turned out.The chamber casting revealed a worn throat. The cerrosafe measured .346. I wonder the accuracy of my casting, as this rifle shoots very well with the jacketed bullets. Have a good day Earl

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Earl, You may find some interesting reading at this URL on your 8X56R.....Geo web page

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 82 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,723
Posts18,494,694
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.