Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Every Christmas he was in the shop back in the day. Met him many times while working there. He and the shop owner were old friends.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Met Mr.Bill in New Orleans and was starstruck of the slow drawl and fast hands. I don't know if this is accurate but I've heard the number 9 official shootings not counting those from the Marine Corps. He had command presence at 6'6.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by earlybrd
WTH happened to night n hale they die off?

I've got a Knight & Hale slate call, I still use it!!

Last time I saw David Hale (on TV), he was looking pretty rough.
Harold Knight, I don't know. He's probably still kicking around somewhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Bill Jordan.
I understand he was an excellent exhibition shooter, but not much good for anything else.
Legend has it the only man he ever kill was a fellow BP agent.
Seems Bill was in his office, practicing his "fast draw", dropped his gun and it went off. The agent in the adjoining office was bent over, polishing his boots. The bullet went through the wall and hit the agent in the head.

Ain’t heard this brung up in awhile, not like 20 years back, everybody younger than a Boomer ain’t as aware of the man.

IIRC Mr Jordan did see WWII combat in the Marines in Eintewok and Okinawa, might have killed people there.

As for the manslaughter incident, I don’t believe a dropped gun was involved. They way I have read it he was demonstrating his fast draw for someone. I would guess Mr Jordan had dry fired a revolver about a million times. Having once put a bullet through a wall “dry firing” a revolver for trigger practice myself I find the practice foolish. It gives your subconscious the impression that the gun WON’T always go off when you pull the trigger. Other’s MMV.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248833

In 1956, Jordan fired a .357 revolver in the Chuck Vista CA BP Office. The round went through a wall and hit BP Agent John Rector in the head. He died not long after at the hospital. Jordan “thought” the revolver was empty.

Today it would have been a career-ender, and possibly a conviction and a lawsuit. IIRC Mr Rector’s son was understandably bitter.

I got lucky with my ND. One good outcome was I still get a bit of a chill every time I dry fire now and ordinarily won’t do it unless in locales where I would ordinarily shoot, with the barrel pointing downrange.

Anyhoo…. I sent Mr Jordan’s book to my brother in ‘73 when he became an MP. I saw it advertised in Outdoor Life magazine. My brother did shoot expert but he ain’t shot much less owned a handgun besides mine in the 45 years since he left the service.

He still has the book tho.

Yeppers! These days that would put you on the "Rubber Gun Squad" until they could get your termination papers together.

Another fellow folks don't talk much about was Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson! He was one of those that was born with the hair on! Very interesting.
Jackson found a young Mexican kid in jail in Brewster County, (Alpine), Texas. Kid was in for stealing a goat. Joaquin took a liking to the kid and got him a start besides stealing livestock

You may have heard of the kid! His name was Johnny Rodriquez!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just sold it with 5 other good books

IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have the book

It’s a good historical book now.

Lots of information on leather holsters, revolvers, and old school law enforcement.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's been years since I read 'No Second Place..." but I seem to recall he advocated planting throw-down guns on unarmed suspects killed under questionable circumstances. Based on that and the negligent killing of a fellow border patrolman, I dismissed the book's contents out of hand.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Much preferred reading Skeeter's works over Bill's.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
William Henry "Bill" Jordan, while a native of Rapides Parrish, Louisiana, settled in his wife's hometown of Linden, Texas. He is buried there. He was the author of three books, "No Second Place Winner", "Mostly Huntin", and "Tales of the Rio Grande". I have all three. He was a once famous quick draw artist and was instrumental in getting Smith & Wesson to develop the M-19 Combat Magnum. He was a personal friend of "Skeeter" Skelton. He also retired from the USMC Reserve as either a major or lieutenant colonel (I cannot remember which) on the same day he retired from the U.S. Border Patrol. I think his final Border Patrol title was Assistant Chief Inspector.

Last edited by Henryseale; 04/26/24. Reason: spelling error

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Damn....that's 60 year old s hit! Poster must be a teeny bopper!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I saw Bill Jordan give what was to be one of his last shooting exhibitions in a theater in Raton, NM in 1975-76. His most impressive bit of shooting was when he drew and fired hitting an aspirin tablet across the stage !

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by marzoom
So de-cluttering and came across this signed book from him.
I remember reading articles in gun magazines way back before internet, Guns and Ammo, Shooting Times, etc..

Anyway thought that was pretty cool and a fun find but useless to me as I don't own a handgun anymore nor a police officer.
Pretty certain some of these techniques are probably slightly different these days...or are they the same?

I never met the man, had ordered this book.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_0807 by .com/photos/154466150@N05/],
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_0808 by .com/photos/154466150@N05/],
Mostly useless book these days (in terms of content), but a classic, and a cool thing to own, being signed by a legend.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Met Jordan in Rock Springs Wyo. during the 80s oil boom. He was visiting his friend Ed Cantrell and on their way to Cheyenne for one of the first IPSC type shoots ever held. Cantrell was a former Texas Ranger and was severing as Public Safety head for Southern Wyo. Anyway a year or so later Cantrell was tipped that one of his under cover agents was selling narcotics and had him picked up. Cantrell met them - and the agent was setting between two officers ;in the back of the car. Cantrell drew his pistol and shot the agent, claiming self defense.
Enter Jerry Spence a famous trial lawyer, who won the Playmates suit against Playboy mag back in those days. During the trial they made a wooden mock up of the car, with a deputy sitting in the seat with a empty pistol and Jordan was standing "out side " the car . The deputy was instructed to shoot Jordan. Jordan drew his gun and "shot" the deputy before he could raise the gun.
In front of the jury Spence ask Jordan how fast was Cantrell. and Jordan replied, " He's faster than I am". Cantrell was acquitted. and went to work as security for Spence on Spences cattle ranch in Montana. Cattle rustling stopped.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Great story, Etoh.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SargeMO
It's been years since I read 'No Second Place..." but I seem to recall he advocated planting throw-down guns on unarmed suspects killed under questionable circumstances. Based on that and the negligent killing of a fellow border patrolman, I dismissed the book's contents out of hand.
While an MP in the Army in San Antonio (1974) I had a conversation with a fellow who used to be a Texas DPS officer. He rejoined the military to get his 20 year retirement. I don't know if he made it for the full 20.

One night setting down by Salado creek on the backside of Ft. Sam Houston he told me he saw the same (if I recall correctly) throw down gun get used 4 different times out in west Texas. As I recall that was a rough time to be in any Texas law enforcement roll. Mostly due to illegals crossing the border and settling in far out hideout places and rowdy oil patch workers.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 04/26/24.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The throw down planted gun. Hmm did I read of that in Col Askins book also.?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have an autographed book as well. He was born, though moved at an early age, about 30 miles from all of my relatives on my mother’s side.

I talked to Bill once on the telephone, a difficult conversation as his hearing was very poor. I had hoped to meet him, but it never happened!

He had visited and hunted with Basil Bradbury who lived in Glenrock, Wyoming. I knew Basil, not well, but shot the first 60 rounds through my new .375 AI in his 100 yard “underground” shooting range. It’s difficult to visualize a 100 yard underground shooting range! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The throw down planted gun. Hmm did I read of that in Col Askins book also.?

Killing witnesses was a thing.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...so-how-bout-charles-askins-jr#Post248229

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He appeared on an episode of "To Tell the Truth" in 1958 where he showed off his fast draw.

Start at 9:40.

You'll like his comment at around 11:30: Panelist: "What is the trouble you encounter most?" Jordan:"Well, illegal aliens."

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I worked for Buck Newsom when he had the riding concession in The Basin in Big Bend NP. he had a scrapbook with pictures of head and heeled wetbacks. He was a good roper and put the stretch on them like steers. He was all there. His son Dan was a good man to.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,187
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.