Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I bought this some years back, but didn't think it was anything other than a modern Case rendition of a Bowie knife. I had no idea that it was actually the same model Case (XX) Bowie knife, still made by them, that was purchased by and issued to the US Marines in the Pacific Theater during WWII under the designation Bowie Knife V-44. Just found that out, and thought it was pretty cool. I now treasure it a little more.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one is an original US Military Issue Case XX V-44 from WWII

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, had an original when I was a kid. used the hell out of it and ended up losing it along the way.

Wish I still had it, I know a kid I'd send it to!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool.

I didn’t realize that Case made anything like that. When I think Case I think pocket knives but I’m not familiar with the Case history. I have a few newish Case pocket knives. Fit and finish are nice on all of them for the price point. The ones with carbon blades are great the stainless blade models not so much.

I had know idea that Case made Bowie knives. Is that the original sheath?

Being from Michigan I’ve always had a thing for Marbles. They made quite a few WWII knives also despite not being what you think of when thinking fighting knives.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Very cool.

I didn’t realize that Case made anything like that. When I think Case I think pocket knives but I’m not familiar with the Case history. I have a few newish Case pocket knives. Fit and finish are nice on all of them for the price point. The ones with carbon blades are great the stainless blade models not so much.

That's the sheath that came with it.

When my cousin and I were kids, we walked to the nearby Army Surplus store, and while there he bought a Case Bowie knife, but it was called the Case Kodiak, and didn't look like this one. Nice knife. Had stag handles.

We were only like 11 or 12, so it's amazing the store clerk sold it to him. My mother immediately confiscated it when we got home, LOL.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Being from Michigan I’ve always had a thing for Marbles. They made quite a few WWII knives also despite not being what you think of when thinking fighting knives.
In fact, the US Air Force Survival knife was originally designed and made by Marbles for the Air Force. Marbles sold it in civilian form under the name "Ideal." Other companies were licensed also to make it for the Air Force, like Camillus.

This is it in civilian (Ideal) form:

[Linked Image from image.invaluable.com]

Here it is in Air Force form:

[Linked Image from ima-usa.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Very cool.

When my cousin and I were kids, we walked to the nearby Army Surplus store, and while there he bought a Case Bowie knife, but it was called the Case Kodiak, and didn't look like this one. Nice knife. Had stag handles.

We were only like 11 or 12, so it's amazing the store clerk sold it to him. My mother immediately confiscated it when we got home, LOL.

It was a different time for sure. My best friend’s dad would give us a note granting permission for us to buy him cigarettes and enough extra money for pops for us. We rode our bikes up to the store and never had an issue😂

The old Army Surplus store selling everything from army jackets to t-shirts with slogans to ALICE packs were a lot of fun.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I've got an Air Force Survival knife that I totally changed the edge angle on using stones. Like a razor, now. I gave it something between a convex and a Scandi grind. I basically eliminated the tiny secondary grind at the edge.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I bet the Case Bowie isn't cheap either.

Looks quality made. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The convex profile is my favorite hunting blade grind. Scandi for more of a survivalist edge harder use knife.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Quality knives have really appreciated in value. I’m always on the scope for old knives at yard sales. Some random grimy folder in a toldbox, ya never know.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So, what do you use it for?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a very good friend who served on SEAL Team One in Vietnam. He told me that he had been offered a very large amount by a collector for the Gerber Fighting knife he carried in Vietnam. He had the provenance to go along with it, so that made it more valuable than most knives.

I asked him if he sold it to the collector? He said, "No, I was kinda nostalgic about that knife." He still had it.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I got a Bowie knife sum where been lost for yrs found it and lost it again🤔

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logger
I'm in this camp....

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by logger
Oh, I chop trees down with it. Can't you tell?? grin

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I had a very good friend who served on SEAL Team One in Vietnam. He told me that he had been offered a very large amount by a collector for the Gerber Fighting knife he carried in Vietnam. He had the provenance to go along with it, so that made it more valuable than most knives.

I asked him if he sold it to the collector? He said, "No, I was kinda nostalgic about that knife." He still had it.

FWIW.

L.W.
Yep, a real, certified, story to go along with a classic knife definitely increases its value to collectors.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
My using knife is a Gerber lockblade that I've had on me every day since about 1980.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Very cool.

I wouldn't call the Case Kodiak a bowie. It's a really cool knife though.

MAGA
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I wouldn't call the Case Kodiak a bowie. It's a really cool knife though.
Sure it is? What would you call it?

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,552
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.