Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
If I'd shot every bird dog I'd wanted to at 14 months (most of them), I would have never enjoyed another decade with fabulous hunting companions.

Furthermore, if I'd bragged about it in writing, I'd be dumber than a sack of hammers.

https://fox59.com/news/national-wor...-dog-after-bad-hunting-trip-in-new-book/

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some dogs do need put down, depending on the circumstances.

But from the article, it sounds a bit different than what you may be portraying.

On the way home, the dog escaped her truck and attacked a local family’s chickens, “grabb[ing] one chicken at a time, crunching it to death with one bite, then dropping it to attack another,” Noem wrote.

When Noem tried to grab the dog, she wrote that it whipped around to bite her. Noem said she wrote the family a check for their chickens and helped them dispose of the carcasses “littering the scene of the crime.”

I'm a dog lover with 5 of them myself, but if I caught them killing livestock, and it turned on me, it might be time to consider options.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Might be a stretch saying the dog shifted to killing "livestock." This german wirehair had training on birds, and no doubt had a great time snatching really dumb ones that ran around in circles. Likely Kristi was screaming her head off too, and was rough with the dog (who may have barely bonded with her, as it had been with a trainer).
It sound to me like the dog had potential, and maybe was a good judge of human character as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Might be a stretch saying the dog shifted to killing "livestock." This german wirehair had training on birds, and no doubt had a great time snatching really dumb ones that ran around in circles. Likely Kristi was screaming her head off too, and was rough with the dog (who may have barely bonded with her, as it had been with a trainer).
It sound to me like the dog had potential, and maybe was a good judge of human character as well.

Maybe.

I'd still choose Noem over Gretchen Whitmer.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don’t agree with shooting a dog for chasing birds as this can be trained to halt. If a dog turns on me he moves on to another home. Won’t shoot a dog, but dog gets rehomed. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What does any of this have to do with her magnificent tata's?? Asking for Boomers nationwide.....

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I live in the middle of plantation country….thousands and thousands of acres devoted to quail hunting. Intense breeding programs for pointers, setters, spaniels on the majority of those properties. Every litter born…perhaps two dogs out of the litter make good bird dogs, maybe three. Pretty much no one wants a reject pointer, etc, for a family pet…..

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I wouldve shot the dog right then and there. Didnt like it, but I have done it.

Last edited by Swifty52; 04/26/24.

Swifty
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MTGunner
Don’t agree with shooting a dog for chasing birds as this can be trained to halt. If a dog turns on me he moves on to another home. Won’t shoot a dog, but dog gets rehomed. MTG

Why pass your problem on to someone else? Plenty of good dogs that don’t bite people get put down every year.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
A dog that bites should not get rehomed. The 3 S rule applies, or should.

IC B3

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure is a lot of assuming and filling in the blanks. thats how bullshit gets started ! I grew up handling and helping my dad train hunting dogs for the first 27 years of my life. if you have ever spent any time around as many dogs as we were you would know that there is the occasional idiot dog that is a Tasmanian devil dog . that is totally unpredictable . we trained coon dogs , running dogs, { coyote dogs } beagles and deer dogs for people all over the country. it was normal for us to have anywhere between 25/30 dogs on the farm at anytime. there were a lot of dogs that got put down due to stupidity.

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Maybe.

I'd still choose Noem over Gretchen Whitmer.

Keep in mind, the OP is a liberal from Missoula. Long history of posting liberal bs.

MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
What I'm curious about is how the dog got loose in the farm yard. Was the dog so "untrainable" that Noem had the dog riding in the cab, and it jumped out a cracked window? Or did she fail to adequately latch the crate in her truck bed? Or ???

Sound like multiple problems led to the unfortunate chicken killing incident, and the dog paid the full price. Most bird dogs get better as they mature... if they have competent handlers with patience and decent observational skill. It doesn't sound like this dog was so fortunate, and that the handler was so embarrassed that writing a check for dead chickens and killing the dog was how she somehow redeemed the incident.

In any case, Noem hasn't advanced herself as a shining Ambassador of pheasant hunting, at least not by this account. We need fewer stories like this going nationwide.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
More Democrat lies, because that’s what they do. No morals whatsoever.

Sad we have to share our oxygen with them.

By the way, chicken killers get shot all the time. If the OP wasn’t a big city liberal idiot he would know that.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I applaud the govna. Unfortunately, that dog needed put down with that type of behavior. If you don’t have the balls to do it yourself, take it to the vet for the job.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
What I'm curious about is how the dog got loose in the farm yard. Was the dog so "untrainable" that Noem had the dog riding in the cab, and it jumped out a cracked window? Or did she fail to adequately latch the crate in her truck bed? Or ???

Sound like multiple problems led to the unfortunate chicken killing incident, and the dog paid the full price. Most bird dogs get better as they mature... if they have competent handlers with patience and decent observational skill. It doesn't sound like this dog was so fortunate, and that the handler was so embarrassed that writing a check for dead chickens and killing the dog was how she somehow redeemed the incident.

In any case, Noem hasn't advanced herself as a shining Ambassador of pheasant hunting, at least not by this account. We need fewer stories like this going nationwide.

Knows nothing about upland dogs, hunting or farming. Good on her for immediately reimbursing the farmer for the livestock killed. Says a good deal about her character

Supported a president that drone killed dozens innocent brown skinned children and a pedophile president that fondles, sucks kisses children in public and who showered with his 11 year old step daughter.

Sad pathetic man. The kind of man who owns aggressive dogs that he can't control. We all know the type. Like Biden's dog who has attacked dozens of people and is never punished

Last edited by ribka; 04/26/24.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

What's the lie? This is Noem's story she has just published in a book, as reported by Fox News. Or have you even checked the linked Fox story?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I got a dog that tries to bite me, under any circumstance, that dog learns right then to NEVER try that again. If the dog is unable to figure it out and tries it again, I am short a dog. I do not pass an aggressive dog off to anyone else. 99% of people have no idea how to handle an aggressive dog, and giving them one is not a favor to them or anyone else.

I have had GSD’s for years, and none of them has ever tried to bite a person as long as they were healthy. My favorite one ever was so loyal to me it was amazing. He got an eye condition that was slowly taking his sight, and got jumpy about certain things. My sister in law came over one day, jumps out of the car and starts her usual loud talking and waving her hands around. Griz(the dog) had come up behind her, and when she raised her arm, he jumped up and nipped her. Not really an attack, but he did draw blood. She understood his condition and did not blame him, but I put him down that afternoon after they left. Only dog I ever shed tears over. I dug the hole, called him over, and he came and stood right in front of it. I pet him for a few minutes, and when he turned his head to look at something, I put the 1911 to the back of his head and fired. He never even twitched, just literally collapsed into the hole. As good as I could have hoped for. Still twisted me up to have to do it. But he was a good dog and did not deserve to be handed off to strangers to be put down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d have done the same.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

What's the lie? This is Noem's story she has just published in a book, as reported by Fox News. Or have you even checked the linked Fox story?

Does being in the news make it true?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,926
Posts18,498,564
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.