Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had State Farm for yrs, as did my parents. I like my agent, known him for years. I never thought about changing. A year ago my mother’s house had some wind damage to the roof. All of her neighbors received new roofs and three different roofers said the same that “the damage to my mother’s roof was consistent with the neighbors “. State Farm denied any repairs. I asked for a second opinion or adjuster. The first adjuster called me and said “I denied it and you’ll not receive another”! I dropped all of my insurance the next day with State Farm. Picked up Alfa and have been pleased ever since.
State Farm is Not like it was in the past.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
State Farm is awful on claims agents are great till you have a claim had to get a lawyer when my house flooded they fought me on every item, had to sick the State of Alaska Insurance board on them. Horrible ratings.
https://www.knappandroberts.com/3-worst-insurance-companies-for-paying-out-claims/

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I see that the OP has already made a decision and went with State Farm. However, I'd like to share my recent experience with hail damage to our roof. Our policy is with Homesite, partners with Geico.
An inspection was scheduled three different times. I took off work each time to go on the roof with him. First two times were no-shows. Third time, three weeks after the claim, he actually showed up.
Adjuster told us our claim payment would be $900. To say I was furious is a severe understatement. Tried calling and emailing with no response. Finally called their headquarters and told them to get this shiit straightened out and call me within an hour.
1. They said my roof is 18 years old so not worth much after depreciation. I told them and the inspector that my roof is 4 years old. She said I had to prove the age with an invoice. No problem, invoice sent. So I asked her to prove that it's 18 years old and explain how they arrived at that number.... crickets.
2. The estimate did not include shingles, felt paper, tear-off or labor. It took half an hour to get it through to the Adjuster that her estimate was screwed up.
Final claim payment of $14,200 was received yesterday, six weeks after the claim.

We were going to shop around for auto and home insurance anyway but now have a renewed determination.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Kentucky Farm Bureau for past 30+ years. Houses, Vehicles, Farm equipment. One house claim for roof and siding damage due to hail. I was satisfied with the process and with the coverage.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
And they helped us get through a very nasty process getting our pole barn rebuilt. You need to get a good agent, but State Farm is a very solid company IMHO.

^^THAT^^ I had State Farm for 10-15 years and they were terrific -- because of the agent. Did some shopping and switched to Farm Bureau approx 10 years ago and saved more than 15%. FB agent is just as terrific. Switched my family & a number of colleagues over and all are very happy with Larry. If/when he retires, will be time to shop again.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After my dealing with State Farm on a car accident,
then finding that no body shops within 50 miles will be affiliated with them despite
working with other companies?

State Farm is at the top of my,
I Will Not Use list.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
None of the above.

The measure of insurance is not how they cash your check or produce a scrap of paper called a policy. It is how they process a claim and the attitude towards a claim: 1) Figure out how to pay OR 2) Figure out how not to pay.
There is a world of difference between the two approaches to handling a claim plus the result. Farm Bureau, State Farm and Allstate are all of the last class of companies in my opinion, an opinion gained by actual experiences in multiple catastrophes watching them work and the results.

Most of these companies have agents, but the agents do not have any claims handling authority, the effect is the customer is left an orphan, and in trouble.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Go with USAA of San Antonio!

Farm Bureau has basically set their home insurance premiums so high for all intents and purposes that they will no longer insure at replacement cost unless you let them cut your nuts and right arm off!

State Farm same attitude!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Insurance companies are more alike than different. They excel at collecting premiums and NOT writing checks. That’s how they own big buildings and sports arenas.

As mentioned above, your local agent is a salesman, but you will deal with an adjuster when you file any significant claim. He will try to wear you down, trick you or scare you into settling low. Sometimes he’ll flat out deny your claim, leaving you to sue or walk away. He’ll NEVER pay one cent more than the contract requires.

Get a lawyer? Sometimes necessary, but he’ll also take a big chunk of the eventual payout. I always choose a high deductible as it saves premium dollars and also saves time and aggravation by making fewer claims.

None of these companies are out to help you. They are not on your side. It’s just a business contract; no more and no less.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 45 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,464
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.