Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I shot a dog once that not only attacked my dog in the backyard but then turned on me. The dog belonged to a family up the street. I didn't want to do it and I didn't like doing it but I did it. I can respect that she is willing to talk about it and not try to deny it ever happened. Some here may hold the shooting against her (but they were not standing in her shoes at the time) but I have more respect for her doing it and admitting it than having her do it and try to hide it. Feel free to disagree but most politicians would have tried to hide and deny it.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
I shot a dog once that not only attacked my dog in the backyard but then turned on me. The dog belonged to a family up the street. I didn't want to do it and I didn't like doing it but I did it. I can respect that she is willing to talk about it and not try to deny it ever happened. Some here may hold the shooting against her (but they were not standing in her shoes at the time) but I have more respect for her doing it and admitting it than having her do it and try to hide it. Feel free to disagree but most politicians would have tried to hide and deny it.

The wisdom in her actions shows how they can’t find any skeletons in her closet when she admits to doing it rather than having the socialized press, trying to dig it up later and ruin her rep reputation…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
If I'd shot every bird dog I'd wanted to at 14 months (most of them), I would have never enjoyed another decade with fabulous hunting companions.

Furthermore, if I'd bragged about it in writing, I'd be dumber than a sack of hammers.

https://fox59.com/news/national-wor...-dog-after-bad-hunting-trip-in-new-book/

So, after quite a number of knowledgeable put downs by guys who actually know dogs and common sense, do you wish you had instead posted this in some Lib political rag?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I live in the middle of plantation country….thousands and thousands of acres devoted to quail hunting. Intense breeding programs for pointers, setters, spaniels on the majority of those properties. Every litter born…perhaps two dogs out of the litter make good bird dogs, maybe three. Pretty much no one wants a reject pointer, etc, for a family pet…..

Bullchitt. If you have a good breeding program, you “might” get a boot licker now and then, and they might not all turn out to be trial dogs, but they should ALL be good bird dogs. My last litter every single dog was a stud on birds. They might not all have had the run to be an AA FC, but if you were hunting for meat, you sure the hell weren’t going hungry. And before you disagree, I know some of the breeders in your area, lived not far from there for 9 years and was very involved in bird dogs, and those breeders would disagree with you.

Noem is an idiot. First off, what do you expect from a young GWP? They are full of piss and vinegar, and are bred to hunt and kill everything! 2nd, you train a bird dog in the yard, not with other dogs in hopes they will learn from other dogs. She obviously shouldn’t even own a bird dog, and especially one bred like a GWP!! The poor fricken dog was 14 months old. It was essentially a child. Most dogs aren’t even ready to be broke until at least 18 months, but more like 2 years. It’s why pointing dogs can run derby trials until their 2nd birthday.

Last edited by jetjockey; 04/27/24.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by CCCC
So, after quite a number of knowledgeable put downs guys who actually know dogs and common sense, do you wish you had instead posted this in some Lib political rag?

Not in the slightest. I'm happy to let the "Fire" try to digest what Fox News has reported... also to demonstrate the wide range of capacity (including those who are in common-sense agreement with me) and wild and distracting imaginations of some posters here.

And finally I'm thankful to be reminded of some of the smarter and on-point things (for instance, being pro-farmer) I've posted here in the past.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a dog, we all love them, I have 4, but in the end it's a dog and millions are put down every year.
Put on your big girl panties and stop the liberal bleeding heart feel good BS.

Euthanized animal statistics
On average, 1.5 million shelter animals are euthanized every year in the United States. Shelters around the country euthanize an estimated 670,000 dogs and 860,000 cats each year.Mar 27, 2024

https://www.thezebra.com/resources/research/pet-adoption-statistics/#:~:text=Euthanized%20animal%20statistics,-For%20a%20deeper&text=On%20average%2C%201.5%20million%20shelter,and%20860%2C000%20cats%20each%20year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I'm curious about is how the dog got loose in the farm yard. Was the dog so "untrainable" that Noem had the dog riding in the cab, and it jumped out a cracked window? Or did she fail to adequately latch the crate in her truck bed? Or ???

Sound like multiple problems led to the unfortunate chicken killing incident, and the dog paid the full price. Most bird dogs get better as they mature... if they have competent handlers with patience and decent observational skill. It doesn't sound like this dog was so fortunate, and that the handler was so embarrassed that writing a check for dead chickens and killing the dog was how she somehow redeemed the incident.

In any case, Noem hasn't advanced herself as a shining Ambassador of pheasant hunting, at least not by this account. We need fewer stories like this going nationwide.

Sounds to me like you never worked or lived on a farm or ranch, i have put down 6 horses . some because of old age ,some from injuries that were unsolvible and one that was uncontrolable.
I would never pas on a horse or dog that was a danger to people or other animals, to often i have seen or delt with horses or ponies that are a danger to people yet they are still passed on to another unsuspecting owner. Husbanding animals sometimes is very difficult, such is life .

Good on Christy for being responsible and truthfull.

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by norm99
What I'm curious about is how the dog got loose in the farm yard. Was the dog so "untrainable" that Noem had the dog riding in the cab, and it jumped out a cracked window? Or did she fail to adequately latch the crate in her truck bed? Or ???

Sound like multiple problems led to the unfortunate chicken killing incident, and the dog paid the full price. Most bird dogs get better as they mature... if they have competent handlers with patience and decent observational skill. It doesn't sound like this dog was so fortunate, and that the handler was so embarrassed that writing a check for dead chickens and killing the dog was how she somehow redeemed the incident.

In any case, Noem hasn't advanced herself as a shining Ambassador of pheasant hunting, at least not by this account. We need fewer stories like this going nationwide.

Sounds to me like you never worked or lived on a farm or ranch, i have put down 6 horses . some because of old age ,some from injuries that were unsolvible and one that was uncontrolable.
I would never pas on a horse or dog that was a danger to people or other animals, to often i have seen or delt with horses or ponies that are a danger to people yet they are still passed on to another unsuspecting owner. Husbanding animals sometimes is very difficult, such is life .

Norm

Problem is many of us that know bird dogs see all the red flags raised in her telling of the story. First off, it’s a GWP, and that’s literally what the Germans bred them to do. 2nd, you don’t hunt a young dog with other dogs so they “learn.” You train them in the yard first using barrels, whoa posts, etc. 3rd, the dog was 14 months old. It was a child still. Just because Noem doesn’t understand bird dogs and how to train them doesn’t mean the dog should have been shot.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think some are missing the point here. I don't think anyone here likes to have to shoot a dog. I'll admit that I have shot one for killing chickens and guinea hens. Unless you were there, you don't know exactly what happened. Especially when a dog turns on you and attempts to bite you. Sometimes the deed has to be done.

More importantly, she assessed a situation. She then made a decision to deal with the problem. Then she had the intestinal fortitude to complete the task. And most of all she was 100% Honest about. She owned it.

She has just the kind of character that's needed in today's Govt.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
She always seems like she is trying a little too hard.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
doesn't seem like the best move to write about it in a book.

there is definitely backlash out there among potential supporters over this.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
She should have kept her mouth shut, some animals need to be put down, but the question is at only 14 months old how did she raise him, maybe she should have spent more time with the dog. I had bird dogs for years and I spend a lot of personal time with them, did they kill other creatures, yes, my GSP Jake kills everything that comes his way, so far 3 huge skunks, bunch of possums, ground and tree squirrels, rats without number and the other day, don't ask me how but he got a pigeon. But he never attacked me, none of my dogs ever have.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Originally Posted by norm99

Norm

Problem is many of us that know bird dogs see all the red flags raised in her telling of the story. First off, it’s a GWP, and that’s literally what the Germans bred them to do. 2nd, you don’t hunt a young dog with other dogs so they “learn.” You train them in the yard first using barrels, whoa posts, etc. 3rd, the dog was 14 months old. It was a child still. Just because Noem doesn’t understand bird dogs and how to train them doesn’t mean the dog should have been shot.

Nobody here GAF about anything about you, chkunt.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Complete training fail. And it seems no training was even attempted if your approach is to “training” is to take an untrained dog hunting with other dogs “so it can learn”

Even worse was the solution

What a dumbfuqk

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a cattle dog. My first…..it was disturbed. The previous owner was training it to fight. He gave it to me when he got kicked outta its parents home.

One night I had it, decided to shoot it.

In the moonlight I looked at it with a loaded 12 ga.

It laid down! I gave it a reprieve.

Turns out it was an incredible dog.

Very grateful to have owned it.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
So, after quite a number of knowledgeable put downs guys who actually know dogs and common sense, do you wish you had instead posted this in some Lib political rag?

Not in the slightest. I'm happy to let the "Fire" try to digest what Fox News has reported... also to demonstrate the wide range of capacity (including those who are in common-sense agreement with me) and wild and distracting imaginations of some posters here.

And finally I'm thankful to be reminded of some of the smarter and on-point things (for instance, being pro-farmer) I've posted here in the past.
If you think the folks here need you to"let" them do anything, you might be simply whacko. if you think they need you to be able to digest any of the varied "news" voices, you are surely whacko.

There always will be some folks with "wild and distracting imaginations", and we usually spot those easily. The more disingenuous fakers reveal themselves, but in a different way.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Anybody liberal from Missoula is an idiot and needs to be ignored. I live in a small town between Missoula and Helena and unfortunately have to deal with the reality that leftist progressives are invading Montana in droves. The saddest part is that there are a lot of home grown, old school Democrats here that haven't accepted that their party has deserted them and become pretty much the antithesis to what the 1930's Democrat party was all about. Old farmers still think that the Democrats are about saving the common man from the rich Republicans. Studies have proven that the majority of the rich in America nowadays are Democrats, and they have no connection to rural America in any way, that's why the Democrats want to destroy small farms and ranches and force people to eat crickets.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I didn't read all the responses. I farm and ranch in SD. Grew up on the farm. I see animals die or have to be put down constantly. This culture is what is wrong with the world. We have gotten soft. Some guys want to re-home the dog, actually a lot of people. Tough decisions need to be made on the spot. We want leaders to step up and buck the wind. Well, this is what leaders do. Do I think she is the greatest governor we've ever had, absolutely no. She's a politician and has done things for her family to increase wealth and status. I hold my nose and will continue to vote for her until another candidate that I like better comes along. I've shot dogs for killing livestock. I've shot dogs for biting people. It sucks but you make the call and follow through and move on. Maybe it's a different lifestyle us rural folk live. The people who actually do it for a living. Her dog had a job and wasn't doing it plus tried to bite her. I had a dog that got into the neighbors chickens. Once. This coming from a guy who has a 3 legged gwp that has 1000s invested in vet bills. I've got a friend that grew up raising chasing dogs in NE. If that dog didn't do his job, it was killed on the spot. He grew up hard cause it was his job to get them from pups to the age of chasing yotes. Watched his dad kill hundreds. We are given dominion over animals. Does that give us the ability to abuse them, absolutely not. But, the bad ones need culled. We'll make more.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah lefty this one time she could have left her reality unmentioned and been better off for her silence..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I live in the middle of plantation country….thousands and thousands of acres devoted to quail hunting. Intense breeding programs for pointers, setters, spaniels on the majority of those properties. Every litter born…perhaps two dogs out of the litter make good bird dogs, maybe three. Pretty much no one wants a reject pointer, etc, for a family pet…..

Bullchitt. If you have a good breeding program, you “might” get a boot licker now and then, and they might not all turn out to be trial dogs, but they should ALL be good bird dogs. My last litter every single dog was a stud on birds. They might not all have had the run to be an AA FC, but if you were hunting for meat, you sure the hell weren’t going hungry. And before you disagree, I know some of the breeders in your area, lived not far from there for 9 years and was very involved in bird dogs, and those breeders would disagree with you.

Noem is an idiot. First off, what do you expect from a young GWP? They are full of piss and vinegar, and are bred to hunt and kill everything! 2nd, you train a bird dog in the yard, not with other dogs in hopes they will learn from other dogs. She obviously shouldn’t even own a bird dog, and especially one bred like a GWP!! The poor fricken dog was 14 months old. It was essentially a child. Most dogs aren’t even ready to be broke until at least 18 months, but more like 2 years. It’s why pointing dogs can run derby trials until their 2nd birthday.

Wow, what a mind trust we have on the Campfire.

Trump tweets mean
Tulsi Gabbard can’t give up the Democrat party, regardless of what she says
Now we kick Kristi Noem to the curb for shooting an egg sucking dog.

You would think they all hunted with a Leupold scope.

No wonder Liberals win, conservatives can’t agree on anything…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,400
Posts18,506,951
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.