K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My wife uses a similar
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm using The Boss 7 ton splitter, I bought it at Home Depot. I'm very pleased with this little machine.

This is chestnut oak, great firewood, it has as many BTUs as white oak. This stuff is rather stringy and difficult to split. On the big pieces, I make a little chainsaw cut, 2 inches deep, and then the splitter cuts them right in half.

The woodshed is just about full. The dark wood, the top 2/3 of the stack, is what I put in today. Below that is ash, left over from last year, and a little black walnut in the corner.

I like ash and black walnut, but chestnut oak is much better, I don't mind that it is hard to split.
That splitter is adorable.
🤣

My wife uses the same splitter to resplit her split firewood into smaller prices that she burns in the fireplace. She did a cord last weekend. Actually works pretty well.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I thought about getting a splitter last year but figured I could manage another year with the maul. I'll see how I feel this year. Mostly burn larch (tamarack) and jackpine, which isn't too bad to split. GD

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
For years did it with a maul, and my back knows it !

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
My wife uses a similar
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I'm using The Boss 7 ton splitter, I bought it at Home Depot. I'm very pleased with this little machine.

This is chestnut oak, great firewood, it has as many BTUs as white oak. This stuff is rather stringy and difficult to split. On the big pieces, I make a little chainsaw cut, 2 inches deep, and then the splitter cuts them right in half.

The woodshed is just about full. The dark wood, the top 2/3 of the stack, is what I put in today. Below that is ash, left over from last year, and a little black walnut in the corner.

I like ash and black walnut, but chestnut oak is much better, I don't mind that it is hard to split.
That splitter is adorable.
🤣

My wife uses the same splitter to resplit her split firewood into smaller prices that she burns in the fireplace. She did a cord last weekend. Actually works pretty well.

I use a similar Ryobi 5-ton splitter I picked up at Home Depot 17 years ago. Split about 5 cords per year, it's still running strong. Works fine for our local firewoods. Mostly lodgepole pine. It's pretty quiet too, and I like that.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know what you mean, Marine. It is surprising how effective these little splitters are. No gasoline to add, no air filter to change, no maintenance. Like you said, fairly quiet.

I'm splitting about 10,000 pounds of oak, ash and locust per year. I've had my splitter for 3 years. I got a bad hand and wrist injury 4 years ago and it is difficult for me to use a maul, though I have a Monster Maul and a Fiskars.

The electric splitter is really good for kindling, very easy to split it real small.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Small splitter like that electric is mostly all a man needs

I had a 20 ton, 3-1/2 briggs for n. Replaced engine 3 times and lovejoy couplings almost yearly. Pain the ass. But it also got ran 8 hours a day sometimes for several days.

Sold it, a King wood furnace and a stihl 029 for $1000. What a bargain for the dude.

Got the Heatmor hydronic outside wood boiler. I can put up to 18” whole rounds thru the door. We have 307 acres to saw on so I just cut wood that fits. Heck with splitting

We have about a dozen 36” red oaks that toppled in a derecho wind. No worth sawing on. I’ve working on the limbs down to 18-20” and leave the rest.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
If Milwaukee comes out with something like that in 18 volt I would be all over it

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ahhhhhh, to be a young boy again, cutting and hauling firewood with my dad..........

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I rent a 28T locally and need three people hustling to keep it from being idle. One feeding logs, one operating, and one stacking. Worth the money.

Now my neighbor bought a 20T from HomeyD that I can use. It’s a just a little slower going through knotty spruce.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Anyone use a four sides wedge? What they call a wood grenade?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I just finished splitting a few pieces of fairly tough pine. If I'm being honest, the arthritis in my hands and wrists is starting to be annoying enough that the little splitter looks real good today. GD

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I dont think the electric would be good for me. However, there is little doubt that those bigger 37 ton splitters are over kill. I got a Speeco 22 ton and it is all I ever needed. My dad , brother and me went in a a 27 ton about 20 yrs. ago and it is still going strong. I got sick of asking for it so I went with my own 22 ton. There is no difference, and it cant possibly take more than a few tones to split 90 % of my wood. Cycle time is way more important.

Last edited by ihookem; 04/28/24.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by earlybrd
You tried that contraption on elm?
laugh laugh laugh He'd be OK on Red Elm, but the American Elm will bring that little splitter to its knees.... Fifty years ago I had a local welder build one for me that runs off tractor hydraulics... Used an old AMC axle for the wheels.. I've been able to split anything with that unit..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by earlybrd
You tried that contraption on elm?
laugh laugh laugh He'd be OK on Red Elm, but the American Elm will bring that little splitter to its knees.... Fifty years ago I had a local welder build one for me that runs off tractor hydraulics... Used an old AMC axle for the wheels.. I've been able to split anything with that unit..

Agree.. It's all about what you're splitting.

I just had my 35T cylinder rebuilt this year, all it took was 1 piece of "hardened" hedge to blow the seal.

I've got mostly: hedge, hickory, oak, maple, black walnut and some elm. When it comes to the crotch pieces the 35T comes in handy

Last edited by Chuck_R; 04/29/24.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What kind of Elm trees? Our Elms dies many years back

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wabigoon writing about splitting wood and a grenade, reminds me of a guy that I worked with that was splitting wood with a maul and wedges. The guy came in Monday morning on crutches because a piece of his wedge broke off when he hit it and it went through his leg like a bullet. I split lots of wood with a maul as a youth, but now its just easier to reach for the thermostat.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some American Elm, but less every year. The bark beetles and Dutch elm disease is doing a number on them.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Safety glasses are a good idea.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use mostly mesquite and juniper - we might have enough on he pile of last one or two more winters.
If still around after that, I'm going to need a good little splitter - the axe days seem to be done.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
because a piece of his wedge broke off when he hit it and it went through his leg like a bullet.

Lost a lady locally several years back. Beavering away with the family out in the woods and small chunk off the wedge pierced her chest tearing the aorta. She knew something had hit her but shrugged it off. Tipped over about 1/2 minute later.

I mostly burn Larch, so there's rarely need for a wedge.

If I ever have to go to Ponderosa Pine, I'll have to secure a splitter though. When I've been helping neighbors, we need maybe 4 people to max out a splitter's potential. Two bringing rounds, one running the splitter, and another throwing pieces out of the way.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/29/24.

1Minute
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,363
Posts18,527,244
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.