Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Over 60% of the stuff sold on Amazon are small companies that have an account with Amazon. Their products may be warehoused by Amazon or Amazon sends the order to the company for fulfillment. Products are sourced from around the world with Ali Baba filling most shipment orders, which links most of the major producers in China and makes it possible for anyone to sell on Amazon.
The increased cost of local shopping, especially large city malls, and their operations costs, have created the success formula for Amazon.
Time-Place-Opportunity

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son was a little boy and watched Bezos interviewed by Neil Cavuto on FOXNEWS in 2001.

Later, the kid told me to buy Amazon stock, so I did....it was only $10/share.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am in the "Not even close" club.

There are many, many alternatives to purchasing from Amazon. Including the manufacturer's websites, driving downtown to the store, and competing web based sales organizations.

That Amazon is the largest and most successful is nothing but an American success story. I could not care less what he pays his employees. If they do not like the wage, they can go else where. Only a Democrat would think otherwise.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Is Amazon A Monopoly?

No... I price compare Amazon vs Walmart versus eBay on a regular basis. Amazon is the consumer products version of MidwayUSA. They generally have most things you could ask for. But they are not always the cheapest. Most of my dog food (+100 lbs per month) comes from Walmart. Tide Laundry detergent varies between Walmart and AMZN depending on who has the best deal at the moment.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I am in the "Not even close" club.

There are many, many alternatives to purchasing from Amazon. Including the manufacturer's websites, driving downtown to the store, and competing web based sales organizations.

That Amazon is the largest and most successful is nothing but an American success story. I could not care less what he pays his employees. If they do not like the wage, they can go else where. Only a Democrat would think otherwise.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
You have no idea what Amazon is. A hint, They own an entire town, outside of Seattle, a construction company that builds the houses, a real-estate company that sells the houses, a bank that finances the houses, an electronics company that wires all the houses together, a computer company that connects all the smart houses together with Amazon HQ, all the executives above a level 5 live in that town.

Bezoes is the owner of multiple corporations, that all operate on the spinning wheel concept, the faster the wheel spins, the less minor bumps in the road matter. Plus, customer satisfaction is of the #1 major important factor, no matter the cost, the spinning wheel will take care of the bump.

Bezos is a major bundler for the DNC and the owner of the Washington Post also. Of course he has started his own delivery company with his own fleet of trucks and drivers, it is spreading, saw one of the blue delivery vans in NW FL the other day.

They discovered a bit ago that folks had been working at home for them, for three years, and had never even logged in. Hard to work on a computer network and never log in. So now the employees all must go to an office a couple days a week, regardless. That woke crap will bite you, in real business, so could not fire the worst offenders, usual suspects, so now make them come into the office.

Bezos turned the Amazon day to day operations over to his daughter, understand she is a tough and capable cookie. Did not even slow down in the transition.

I just know some people that know some people and I listen.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
No, we buy less and less from Amazon due to their slower shipping times for Prime members

Most of the things I buy from Amazon arrive the next day.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rapier
Bezos turned the Amazon day to day operations over to his daughter.

Bullshit

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought some used books from Amazon this week, and I bought some used books from the local Goodwill equivalent just this morning. The local store was considerably cheaper.

So, no.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rapier
You have no idea what Amazon is. A hint, They own an entire town, outside of Seattle, a construction company that builds the houses, a real-estate company that sells the houses, a bank that finances the houses, an electronics company that wires all the houses together, a computer company that connects all the smart houses together with Amazon HQ, all the executives above a level 5 live in that town.

Bezoes is the owner of multiple corporations, that all operate on the spinning wheel concept, the faster the wheel spins, the less minor bumps in the road matter. Plus, customer satisfaction is of the #1 major important factor, no matter the cost, the spinning wheel will take care of the bump.

Bezos is a major bundler for the DNC and the owner of the Washington Post also. Of course he has started his own delivery company with his own fleet of trucks and drivers, it is spreading, saw one of the blue delivery vans in NW FL the other day.

They discovered a bit ago that folks had been working at home for them, for three years, and had never even logged in. Hard to work on a computer network and never log in. So now the employees all must go to an office a couple days a week, regardless. That woke crap will bite you, in real business, so could not fire the worst offenders, usual suspects, so now make them come into the office.

Bezos turned the Amazon day to day operations over to his daughter, understand she is a tough and capable cookie. Did not even slow down in the transition.

I just know some people that know some people and I listen.

So, are you saying there's something wrong with that.

It sounds to me like a very intelligent, highly motivated man and his family done good, for them selves and (100s of thousands???) employees.

This is a huge seller's market today as far as labor is concerned. If employees are not happy, "There's the door jack. There are hundreds waiting to take your place."

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
It's Capitalism, and their prices are higher than many local brick & mortar stores.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
No, we buy less and less from Amazon due to their slower shipping times for Prime members

Most of the things I buy from Amazon arrive the next day.
They now have warehouses all over the place. Most of what we order comes from Nampa, ID, about 150 miles from here. It leaves Nampa and goes to Boise, about 30 miles from Nampa It's reloaded on a truck that crosses southern Idaho every night, dropping stuff at major post offices. Drivers from all the area small PO's go there early in the morning and pick up packages that go to their service area for delivery that day.
Or, it comes from the warehouse in Salt Lake. It's sort of the same process but it goes to UPS instead of the PO.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
There are a lot of "company" towns, owned and "staffed" by employees. Walmart has one, Rio-Tinto has several. Could go on. Operations for Amazon are run on several levels, neither Bezos or his daughter have the "sophistication" to make decisions on some of the operations.
Amazon uses the same type of AI internet information collection as Google, and if you have ever used Jungle Tracker or Google's commercial account, you can tell not only when and where the item your using passed thru customs, but where and how much, including country and company of manufacture.

The first items on a search to show up are usually the Prime items, and rarely the cheapest. Doing a price search on a small ticket item isn't going to happen on 80% of sales. If you have ever bought anything over $3k from Amazon that requires shipping -- Amazon's tracking and customer contact with maker is unbeatable.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I like Amazon because they will allow you return almost anything without hassle and you don't have to pack it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Pretty common nowadays here locally to see at least 25% to as high as 50% Amazon railroad shipping bins on passing CSX trains. Easily more Amazon's than any others.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not a monopoly as such but their business model caused many large and small companies to come around to Amazon’s way of thinking and doing business.

Competition improves the services available for those who want to stay in business.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Is that from the Wall Street Journal, dumbass?😂

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
It's Capitalism, and their prices are higher than many local brick & mortar stores.
Very true. When shopping, I 1st go to Amazon for info and reviews. Then I price shop and quite often I'll buy elsewhere.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
It sounds to me like a very intelligent, highly motivated man and his family done good, for them selves and (100s of thousands???) employees.

This is a huge seller's market today as far as labor is concerned. If employees are not happy, "There's the door jack. There are hundreds waiting to take your place."

One out of 169 employees in the US now works for Amazon. Right at a million

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bu...-almost-1-million-people-u-s-or-n1275539

Sic Semper Tyrannis
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Darn near up to the Gov. at 2.5 mil 'employees

counting the time one shops around, and the gas money involved, Amazon still comes in Cheaper

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (160user, 257Bob, 300jimmy, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 55 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,375
Posts18,527,445
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.