Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
This pretty much sums up my entire theology. This is Heaven, make the best of it. There is nothing after.

Enjoy your labors, and enjoy the fruits thereof.

Ecclesiastes 3

1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

9 What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboureth?

10 I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised in it.

11 He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

12 I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life.

13 And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.

14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.

15 That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.

16 And moreover I saw under the sun the place of judgment, that wickedness was there; and the place of righteousness, that iniquity was there.

17 I said in mine heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.

18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.

19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.

20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.

21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

22 Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
So, are you trying to convince me or yourself? Why do you proselytize your atheism so much? The Christian or other religionist who attempts to convince you is doing so out of a concern for what he believes is your immortal soul. What is your motivation?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Boy someone will be in for a surprise.

So Jesus was FOS?

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I am just reading what is written and preserved through the hand of God.

Is Ecclesiastes 3 in error?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Don't stop with chapter 3. Go to the end of Ecclesiastes and you see that it says fear God and keep his commands.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I don't think that passage means what you think it means.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Always interpret scripture using scripture. Comparing that with other scripture will reveal what it means.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You are in error.

Read John 3:16

Still don't believe?
You better be praying that there's no hell

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
It is pretty black and white. Later translations give less room for confusion than does KJV.

Unless one wishes to interpret the passage as this guy does.
https://www.all-creatures.org/discuss/svtecc3.19-21ms.html
That every living thing upon the Earth is possessed of the same soul as man.

It is of note that most discussions stop at Ecclesiastis 3-8 and totally ignore the latter portion of the chapter.

Even the publishers of some Bibles take exception to the passage and denigrate it. That is discussed in the link.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Always interpret scripture using scripture. Comparing that with other scripture will reveal what it means.
That comparison shows Ecclesiastis 3-18 through 3-21 to be antithetical to most other parts of the Bible. Both can not be true.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
it takes a stronger faith to believe that something came from nothing than to believe that something came from something greater.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Don't stop with chapter 3. Go to the end of Ecclesiastes and you see that it says fear God and keep his commands.

Yes Rich, that is the summary statement. But nowhere in the book is mentioned that man has a soul, or any eternal reward.

It appears to me all of Ecclesiastes can be summed up in Verse 8-15.
So I commend the enjoyment of life, because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany them in their toil all the days of the life God has given them under the sun.

9-1 and 9-2 clarifies
So I reflected on all this and concluded that the righteous and the wise and what they do are in God’s hands, but no one knows whether love or hate awaits them. 2 All share a common destiny—the righteous and the wicked, the good and the bad, the clean and the unclean, those who offer sacrifices and those who do not.
As does 9-5 and 9-6
For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing;
they have no further reward,
and even their name is forgotten.
Their love, their hate
and their jealousy have long since vanished;
never again will they have a part
in anything that happens under the sun.

In fact, the book flatly states several times that earthly death is the end of existence.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
it takes a stronger faith to believe that something came from nothing than to believe that something came from something greater.

TRUTH!!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wherever you go... There you are!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Please read it. Over and over it says ‘I believe in my heart’. Its a man speaking, not God. This is what a man sees and the man is wrong.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Where did that something greater come from? Did it also create a universe from nothing by using magic?

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Please read it. Over and over it says ‘I believe in my heart’. Its a man speaking, not God. This is what a man sees and the man is wrong.
I suppose the question would be: Why did the Council of Nicea 325 see fit to include the book in the Bible if it is not true?

How does that correlate with "every word of the Bible is written by the Hand of God and ensured for accuracy through out the ages by the Hand of God"?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Japlvr

TRUTH!!!

Where did the universe come from if it was created? Was it created from nothing? Did matter already exist and God molded it into a universe by command? And why wait an eternity before creating a universe? Or has there been an infinite number of created universes?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
What do you make of Ecclesiastes?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (25aught6, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222ND, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,489
Posts18,529,809
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.