Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Tarkio
You are part of the same class of people hand-wringing over this and at the same time that are single-issue voters with regards to abortion.

Not to be too analytic of your statements here, but projecting that I'm a single-issue voter on abortion is a doozy. What popular vote has ever been taken on abortion, at least in my lifetime?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am beginning to think she maybe crazy like a fox.

Weren’t it Mick Jagger to state

Any publicity is good publicity?

I bet it sells a few books in the least?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ll add this, if you are a Republican governor in ND or SD, the primary objective is not to f’ [bleep] up. You have arguably the most conservative base in the country. White, Christian, conservative, in a quiet, solid sort of way, mostly well educated, with agricultural roots. Oh you have a few natives being natives that must be dealt with.

The base wants the state run a certain way. You can exceed their expectations, mainly in terms of economic development, and by being discerning and wise on social and tax issues. But they have your back.

SD has Noem. ND has Burgum. They are fine, even excellent governors for their states. Very unfortunately, those states are substantially different from the nation.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The OP is demonstrating his urban roots...acquiring a Montana zip code does not make for a rural mindset. City people by their very nature are repelled by the unpleasant decisions that people who make/made their livelihood for generations have to make...improve genetics, destroy the animals that will tear down generations of careful, thoughtful breeding...improve the breed, improve the herd. Noem reacted quickly and perfectly to the standards of the world she is from.
If anyone needs a quick tutorial on genetics...check the crime stats in Chicago, Philly, St Louis...classic unchecked breeding outcome.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yikes!

Hahaha!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Originally Posted by Tarkio
You are part of the same class of people hand-wringing over this and at the same time that are single-issue voters with regards to abortion.

Not to be too analytic of your statements here, but projecting that I'm a single-issue voter on abortion is a doozy. What popular vote has ever been taken on abortion, at least in my lifetime?

Reading isn't your strong suit is it?

"I said you are part of the class of people..."

Nice sidestep attempt. Typical sorry leftist.

You are wringing your hands over this. Maybe just because it suits your political ideology??? But in doing so, you are juping in with the class of people that are going to be upset over this. Yet fight tough and nail to defend the right of people to kill infants in the womb.

aybe check into this site: www.rif.org

Last edited by Tarkio; 04/29/24.

Montana MOFO
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
The OP is demonstrating his urban roots...acquiring a Montana zip code does not make for a rural mindset.
If you think about it, Gov. Noem was actually the OP.
I just directed the 'Fire to Fox's reporting of Noem's post in her own book.

Yes, its true like i wrote, there are many dogs I've been frustrated with as youngsters. But I didn't shoot them.
Noem IMO was defeated by a driven puppy, and showed further horrible judgement by publicizing it.
She also has probably given upland hunting the biggest black eye in modern history. Really really unfortunate.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Grouse, In your world, you just spend the money to have the vet do the deed, or spend the money to neuter...or put up with a useless dog who just eats, schidts and wags it's tail for 12 more years. People in agriculture can't afford that. And if you've ever seen a vet plunge the needle into the dogs ribcage and inject the pentothal...it ain't f...king pretty...the well placed .22 is a lot more humane.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In the areas of Eastern Oregon that I spend time in it's not unusual for people to shoot dogs that cause problems. I assume it's common across rural America. I know a number of people who have done that including some of my relatives. I'm not endorsing what she did, but the fuss seems kind of like an urban vs rural thing.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Grouse, In your world, you just spend the money to have the vet do the deed, or spend the money to neuter...or put up with a useless dog who just eats, schidts and wags it's tail for 12 more years. People in agriculture can't afford that. And if you've ever seen a vet plunge the needle into the dogs ribcage and inject the pentothal...it ain't f...king pretty...the well placed .22 is a lot more humane.

I actually spent a couple years as a veterinary technician, and assisted with putting down many animals including dogs young and old. We'd typically injected phenobarbital into the cephalic vein... it was usually quite gentle if the animal wasn't terrified or in horrible pain. So I didn't pay a vet to do the deed... I got paid to do the deed. Also assisted in neuters most weeks. And I raised both chickens and ducks for eggs and meat, and have dispatched lots of livestock. So don't tell me about my world experience.

But this conversation, which has now garnered nearly 10,000 views, is actually not about me. Not at all.

Noem has hurt public opinion of our upland sport, hunting with dogs (something people like me cherish) and her own career, by doing some really unfortunate things and communicating poorly and unwisely about them.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
No...you being a giant vagina has hurt our upland sport.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by bowmanh
In the areas of Eastern Oregon that I spend time in it's not unusual for people to shoot dogs that cause problems. I assume it's common across rural America. I know a number of people who have done that including some of my relatives. I'm not endorsing what she did, but the fuss seems kind of like an urban vs rural thing.

Guy I know has a feedlot close to town.

If you are missing your dog...he collects the collars and you can look through them to see if you recognize yours.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All of you remember the Sarah Palin interview where the turkey's were being slaughtered behind her?? Did that hurt her in the long run????

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
So Grousehunter, do you really honestly believe Noem was "bragging" about what she did?

If so, that's the problem. You seeing the act as bragging when there was no bragging to be found. But you found it some how, just like those idiots on MsNBC

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a little different take on this occurrence, course not being present much is purely conjecture,
as is everyone else’s.
First, I absolutely would not have put the dog down.
The dog was only doing what he was trained for, he knew no difference between s barn yard hen than a than a grouse or pheasant , he was just reacting instinctively .Secondly, I bet he inadvertently bit the governor in the excitement of the moment , I have personally been subject of such reactions with dogs involved in heated engagements, again it’s a natural reaction, especially from a younger dog.
I have first hand experience with a hunting dog and domestic birds. We live in a subdivision out of town, large lots, and livestock permitted, a few months ago new neighbors moved in across the lane , their dwellings are maybe 75 yards from ours. We have an 8 year old red lab, she is a wonderful hunter and very well trained. I knew the neighbors had geese and normally have them penned, but one morning they got out and and came up our lane unbeknownst to the wife and I. That morning I let our dog out the back door of the garage and followed her out into the tree line for her to do her thing. All of a sudden her nose sent up and she took of like a shot around the garage towards the front of the house out of my sight, I wasn’t concerned as we have cottontails all over, and she give chase of all of them for a short distance then turns around and comes back, this time she didn’t come right back so I started around the garage and here she comes with a very large goose by the neck, drops it at my feet and takes off. I hustle around the corner to be met by my dog with yet another goose, she drops it and once again turns to head out and I shouted a firm NO stay, which she promptly did. I and the dog , at heel, walked around the garage and here are 4 more geese, that promptly start waddling off at a rapid rate, and to my great satisfaction my dog watched them go , dancing around obviously wanting to retrieve a couple more, but stayed with me. I was immensely proud of her and never scolded her for a moment. She was only reacting as she had been trained,
I think the governor acted properly in reimbursing the farmer and I suspect apologized profusely. But killing a young dog, for reacting as he was trained, is a terrible lose both for the governor and an innocent animal with tremendous potential to bring years of enjoyment for himselve snd his owner.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Yup.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
HA! I was looking for that pic and you came through.

This thread is hilarious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
I actually spent a couple years as a veterinary technician, and assisted with putting down many animals including dogs young and old. We'd typically injected phenobarbital into the cephalic vein... it was usually quite gentle if the animal wasn't terrified or in horrible pain. So I didn't pay a vet to do the deed... I got paid to do the deed. Also assisted in neuters most weeks. And I raised both chickens and ducks for eggs and meat, and have dispatched lots of livestock. So don't tell me about my world experience.
But this conversation, which has now garnered nearly 10,000 views, is actually not about me. Not at all.
Noem has hurt public opinion of our upland sport, hunting with dogs (something people like me cherish) and her own career, by doing some really unfortunate things and communicating poorly and unwisely about them.
My dog is really stupid, but if he could read (we're working on it), that dumb dog immediately would realize the insincerity of that post and weak attempt at apology. Most people are not as dumb as my dog.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have zero clue why some of you all think that the dog chasing and killing the chickens was reasoning for her shooting the dog. The way I read the article and a few others, is that the chicken incident may have put her in a pissy mood, but it was the aggressive bite that made her decide to do the deed.

A different article I read didn't give the impression that the bite was just excitement in the moment, though one can't be sure I guess. I should order her book to get the first hand account and see if any positive impressions come away from it, as opposed to these news articles, which are unreliable at best.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (44mc, Amos63, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 35, 8MMX57JS, 8 invisible), 996 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,207
Posts18,524,266
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.