No I lost count --- probably 45-50 years ago

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Never kept track of it, myself. Sometimes I’d keep track of pheasants, chukar or ptarmigan, but just for that particular season and then I’d forget it.

I’ve hunted 4 continents, and will be on #5 next year. Hunted 8-10 countries and a half dozen states. Haven’t pulled anything but a general or unlimited tag since 2018, but that’s OK…

I’ve officially scored a grand total of one animal and that was only because it was the first of that species in the lower 48 to be entered. I’ve got 10-12 more that probably would make the book but have never cared enough to enter them, including a 54” and change Shiras moose that would (at least would have been) be top 5 in Montana. I am at about 16-18 of the North American 29 and there’s only a handful of upland bird species that I haven’t taken.

Just not my thing to actually keep track, but rock on to those who do.
What was the one you had scored?
I’ve never put a tape to any I’ve shot, don’t hunt places that grow anything that would likely make any book and generally just hunt for mature specimens of whatever I’m after. My keeping notes has more to do with the scientific aspects of conditions, bullet performance, reliving the story, etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
What was the one you had scored?

Montana wolf, killed in the first season in 2009. I think he was the 14th one killed, or at least the 14th one checked in. SCI scored him as a silver, barely not making gold….whatever that means. B&C didn’t score wolves then but now since you can substitute them for Quebec caribou in relation to the NA 29, maybe they do? I haven’t really payed attention.

By default he was the state record for a time but was surpassed a few years later.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That’s cool man. I didn’t even know that there was a scoring system for wolves. I figured they were kinda like my buddy says about goats, the difference between an average one and a big one is about the distance across your fingernail. Still a great trophy just to get one.

Last edited by TheKid; 04/27/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is just like bears or cats....skull length plus width.

Easy peasy.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A buddy asked ne a couple of years ago, how many deer iv shot. I said do know probly 70-100 or more. He's 19 years younger than me, said he was up to 47 deer. I never kept track, but have 1 elk, 1 mule deer buck, and 3 black bears. In the 1990s I started marking on the brass, shell. of the animal , date number of points. Iv always liked to shoot and hunt with different rifles. Over 20 I'd think from 44-77 black powder cartridge to 50 Beawulf.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Not hunting but I used to keep a fishing log.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I can remember the highlights over the years but count coyotes per year, 54 this year and most per day 16. A good year 75.
A nice gun I know the round count and have the brass.
I do know people who keep records like a statistician.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Very interesting threads,

I’ve shot way too many deer over the past 65 years to remember many of them. My Montana deer are mounted and on the wall. Didn’t even think about writing down anything. Having been to Africa, RSA and Zimbabway and Tanzania 5 times I don’t even remember many of them. Don’t even remember many of my European kills. I’ve alway Enjoyed the experience and the gun and caliber more. I do remember that a 270 and 308 has worked every time.
Life is in the living and I still enjoy my hunts every year. God bless all you and enjoy your memories.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am patriarch of our deer camp, and one responsibility I have is keeping the log. I actually started the log before our camp started, lost it in my divorce from Satan, and then recreated it. What spurred me to start it up again was finding the resources to recreate the meteorological data. If you know the date and approximate time of the kill, you can find temp, barometer, wind direction and speed. I have since built a moon age calculator.

For each harvest, I record about 30 columns of data about the deer, the weather, the location, and exact date/time, and the rifle and load.

What works? Moon age really correlates well. Harvests are skewed dramatically towards the first two quarters, and almost no deer are taken in the last quarter. Day of the Month is a biggy, especially for bucks. There is a spike from the 9th to the 11th of November. I can also tell you that if you haven't taken a buck by 1000 on the Opener, your chances of getting a buck that season drop precipitously.
There are also upper and lower limits of barometer, temp, wind, etc.

I'm currently doing the same for our Turkey Camp. I'd always kept my own personal record, but now that my sons and my granddaughter have come online, it's time to add them in. I've still got about half of the meteorological data left to fill in. It's a tad tedious.

Is it worth it? Besides the data I keep in the logs, I also write something for my weblog-- been doing that since 2004, and adding in the bits and pieces I'd written before that. It has become invaluable. At 65, the seasons are beginning to all blur together.

I realized the other day that I was losing track of all the antler racks I have hanging up in my office. I had 3 on the wall next to each other and I had stopped being able to tell them apart. ENOUGH! I went on Ebay and bought brass tags engraved with the year and stand location of each and every one of them as well as my full head mounts. What saved me was the pics from each weblog entry. I could count points and note idiosyncracies. After I get that done, I'm going to tackle the Dink Wall at camp. Guys are required to donate their dinks to the wall. Sure, you can shoot it, but it's going up on the wall in the dining room.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
now that i look back at all those years of hunting with family and friends i wished i would have kept track. oh well its my lose but if your young and read this keep track of all your hunts good and bad some day you will have some great memories.take care,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, ...Unfortunately before 30 years old I was in NYC and Europe so no hunting big game.
Since 1995 yes every one of them.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I did the first ten years in Montana but lost count of deer. Been here 14 years now. I would guess around 70 deer in that time.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Sure....#40 Archery Super Slam which is also #199 Super Slam by any legal means of take (rifle, blackpowder, pistol, archery or crossbow). 20 of the 29 species were taken self guided...was lucky to live in CO for 35 years and BC for 15 with a lot of variety of species I could hunt as a resident.

As per # within a species it gets a bit vague when you talk about elk, black bears, antleope, mule deer and whitetails. The rest of the species are much easier to remember.

Also 17 (or is it 18?) species of western upland birds, all with a female Vizsla over her 13 hunting seasons.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 24 invisible), 1,796 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,450
Posts18,528,884
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.