O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by misfire270
I have one eating my dog food and chicken food every night, it may start laying eggs soon.lol he dumped out 100 pounds of layer food for chickens and just lays there eating.i have some rubber buckshot on the way just for him

I had a guy give me barrels of used frier grease from some joint down in KC. Used it at the bear camp thinking it would be great. It was for bringing them in. One and done on all baits, whatever spices are in that must really mess with a bears stomach.

I kept 5 gallons or so, tossed the rest. When there is a nuisance bear close in on the place I set out some bait covered in that grease, bear gone.

Osky

Maybe the grease was used to fry hot wings? 🥵😀

I may not have been clear. Used grease is terrific poured over bait for many of the reasons noted above. I’ve used tons of it. This particular grease they came to in a hurry but whatever spices were in it must have done a helluva number on their guts as none came back. That grease did a good job killing baits.

If California is getting too many black bears and doesn’t want increased hunting, why don’t they just release some grizzly bears in those areas. They will get the job done.

Great article Lean…

Osky,

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There was a nuisance bear in my cousin’s PA neighborhood that somebody finally shot. I believe I saw it when I was visiting, Two silver ear tags which I was given to understand was a two-time catch-and-relocate offender.

After being shot the bear climbed a tree before it died and got wedged up there. Stunk up the neighborhood for weeks

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Birdwatcher;
Good morning sir, I hope all is going more than less according to plan for you down in San Antonio thus far and you're well.

The situation you describe would be less than optimum for sure, though we do have enough turkey vultures, bald eagles, ravens, crows and magpies here that it might not take weeks for it to disappear from a tree.

We had one die a mysterious death - looked like about a .75" hole in it to me when I looked at it - down in the bottom of the gully here last year. It was one of two pests that each took several ball bearings and at least one Blue Special, but kept coming back despite the unwelcome actions directed it's way.

The remaining one attempted to relieve me of my mulie buck last fall, which I'd just nicely finished peeling on the meat pole, turned around and there it was about 20' away. I yelled at it, waved my arms and made as much ruckus as a little old guy can and it went up a big Ponderosa in our yard.

Part ways up.
[Linked Image]

Further up. Sorry it's not the best photo, I was yelling at it, phoning a friend to come over and keep it up there while I took the deer apart and put it in the cooler and taking the odd terrible photo. It's about 2/3 up the tree in the middle of the photo.

[Linked Image]

This one shows how high up it got. For reference the top of our roof is something like 26' to the top.

[Linked Image]

Anyways, he surely could get that high up in a brief space of time, that much I will say.

So far we've not seen him back this spring, so hopefully someone tagged him as bear season has been on for a month already and he just needed to be at the right place at the wrong time.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/02/24. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The bear population has really exploded in NC. My brother, now deceased, moved to Belhaven NC when they first started a season. He killed one with his 3 month old Silverado pickup farm truck. They were giving him grief at the local cafe about totaling his truck. His response was a Silverado works just as well as a 30/06 Silvertip. They killed some huge bear in the coastal areas; some close 1000 pounds.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 54 invisible), 3,172 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,104
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.