Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by dave7mm
For 1000 yard target work.
SFP.
For big game hunting.
FFP

dave
I was raised on 2nd, FFP just seems odd to me. Dunno.
Yea.
Me too.
Took me awhile to appreciate what the first focal plane does for you.
Once you spend enough time with a good one, there's really no going back.

dave
Yup. Unfortunately, this topic is usually dominated by people with limited experience with one style or the other. After plenty of exposure to, and field use with, various designs of both SFP and FFP reticles, I have seen that a FFP reticle can be designed to effectively cater to most use cases, including general LR hunting, though I concede that there is a niche in which SFP reticles are just as useful. Close-range woods hunting? The ability to increase the absolute size of the FFP reticle by dialing up magnification can be beneficial in low light (as mathman mentioned). LR hunting? Bold posts coming to about 4-5 mrad from center, with very fine graduated center lines and a floating dot enable bold posts to be very visible on low magnification (and out of the FOV completely when on high magnification), and very fine graduated aim points to be visible for precision shooting on high magnification. Shooting tiny POA at long, but known and constant, range? The relatively small subtension of a SFP reticle can be advantageous here, though a small FFP floating dot may give it a run for its money, depending on specific use case. Ultimately, preference plays a large role here, but there are solid arguments to be made for the strategic utility of a FFP reticle that is well-designed for the application at hand.

We've gone over the details of the various tactical advantages and disadvantages on this forum several times before. A search will likely result in plenty of good info.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
one error in above video

SFP : the correct magnification is set by manufacturer and not shooter.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
For what I do FFP isn't an advantage. I typically use a 3-9X40 or smaller scope. I zero the rifle at the highest magnification then confirm zero at the lowest magnification. If there is any POI change between those I've never noted it. I'm primarily a big game hunter, but also enjoy informal target shooting at the range up to at most 600 yards. I can do that with a 3-9X scope.

I hunt with the scope at the lowest magnification and most of my shots are taken at that setting. I'm good to 200+ yards with the scope at 2X or 3X and at 200 yards I don't need to use any other aiming points on the reticle. Not enough bullet drop to matter.

In the event I need to shoot farther, or for some reason just want more magnification I go straight to the highest magnification where everything is calibrated. I have NEVER set a scope for anything other than 3X and 9x. Of 1X and 4X. Never use anything in between highest and lowest.

If I were a serious target shooter and used scopes with a wide range of magnifications, (8-32X for example) I can see where there would be times where 8X isn't enough and 32X is too much. That is where a FFP scope is necessary.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm just waiting for Big Schtick to come along, berate everyone with unintelligible language, and post the same photos for the 100th time... grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
“Living” vicariously is as close as you will ever get. Hint.

Be SURE to start a Thread,if/when you fire your first Live Round of the year. Hint.

Just sayin’………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I use both, depends on rifle and what I'm shooting at and don't worry about what others use. LOL

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JMR40
For what I do FFP isn't an advantage. I typically use a 3-9X40 or smaller scope. I zero the rifle at the highest magnification then confirm zero at the lowest magnification. If there is any POI change between those I've never noted it. I'm primarily a big game hunter, but also enjoy informal target shooting at the range up to at most 600 yards. I can do that with a 3-9X scope.

I hunt with the scope at the lowest magnification and most of my shots are taken at that setting. I'm good to 200+ yards with the scope at 2X or 3X and at 200 yards I don't need to use any other aiming points on the reticle. Not enough bullet drop to matter.

In the event I need to shoot farther, or for some reason just want more magnification I go straight to the highest magnification where everything is calibrated. I have NEVER set a scope for anything other than 3X and 9x. Of 1X and 4X. Never use anything in between highest and lowest.

If I were a serious target shooter and used scopes with a wide range of magnifications, (8-32X for example) I can see where there would be times where 8X isn't enough and 32X is too much. That is where a FFP scope is necessary.

I'm surprised a covtard from Georgia would have any valuable input on the merits of FFP scopes.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve killed a zillion animals with a SFP scope, I don’t know how a FFP could guarantee me more success..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
reticles matter especially on ffp

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
A LRF and a SWFA 3-9 FFP scope have changed how I do business. Thanks to the 24 hr CF.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I'm surprised a covtard from Georgia would have any valuable input on the merits of FFP scopes.

Geez JG, am I missing something here?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

That's uncalled for...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This subject has been the most throughly beat horse in the history of optics. Ffp vs sfp. Umm use the search function. It’s been discussed here more often than I can count.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
For close range timber hunting which is my preferred method of hunting a second is fine but a ffp is killer on low x’s if you hit the illumination. Makes nice lit up triangle on the scopes I have. For anything else a FFP is fine and makes zeroing a breeze. But most of my hunting is done with a fixed 6x so I don’t need to ponder the advantages/disadvantages.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
This subject has been the most throughly beat horse in the history of optics. Ffp vs sfp. Umm use the search function. It’s been discussed here more often than I can count.
To be fair ,you can’t count past ten without taking your socks off .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad

That's uncalled for...

The truth hurts.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

That's uncalled for...

The truth hurts.

Take your personal and political bitterness back up to the Hunters Cesspool - it's not welcome on threads like this.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Take your personal and political bitterness back up to the Hunters Cesspool - it's not welcome on threads like this.

We only have time/space for posts that answer the question or provide insight like this, nothing personal:

I'm just waiting for Big Schtick to come along, berate everyone with unintelligible language, and post the same photos for the 100th time... grin

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal

We only have time/space for posts that answer the question or provide insight like this, nothing personal:

If you can't see the difference between a little good natured levity and a nasty personal attack, there's no helping you...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Professional Victims are funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Just sayin’………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,672
Posts18,534,185
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.