Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by JMR40
For what I do FFP isn't an advantage. I typically use a 3-9X40 or smaller scope. I zero the rifle at the highest magnification then confirm zero at the lowest magnification. If there is any POI change between those I've never noted it. I'm primarily a big game hunter, but also enjoy informal target shooting at the range up to at most 600 yards. I can do that with a 3-9X scope.

I hunt with the scope at the lowest magnification and most of my shots are taken at that setting. I'm good to 200+ yards with the scope at 2X or 3X and at 200 yards I don't need to use any other aiming points on the reticle. Not enough bullet drop to matter.

In the event I need to shoot farther, or for some reason just want more magnification I go straight to the highest magnification where everything is calibrated. I have NEVER set a scope for anything other than 3X and 9x. Of 1X and 4X. Never use anything in between highest and lowest.

If I were a serious target shooter and used scopes with a wide range of magnifications, (8-32X for example) I can see where there would be times where 8X isn't enough and 32X is too much. That is where a FFP scope is necessary.

I'm surprised a covtard from Georgia would have any valuable input on the merits of FFP scopes.

That's uncalled for...

The truth hurts.

Take your personal and political bitterness back up to the Hunters Cesspool - it's not welcome on threads like this.

Or what? Are you the new moderator?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I find it hard to believe a grown man would resort to this. Covtard, really. Most people outgrow that stuff by middle school. If you want to have an adult conversation I'll happily oblige, but I'm not engaging in a pissing contest with a 12 year old.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JMR40
I find it hard to believe a grown man would resort to this. Covtard, really. Most people outgrow that stuff by middle school. If you want to have an adult conversation I'll happily oblige, but I'm not engaging in a pissing contest with a 12 year old.

How ironic......

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/19423040/re-clot-shotters#Post19423040

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have both and have killed big game with both. I really like the 3-12 LRHS for all distances that I’ve used it at range and on animals.
My SFP plane scopes are non-dialing but have BDC or Mil-dot reticles. I have a 2-7x with BDC that I can swap onto my lightweight rifle that I use for mountain backpack hunting when I want to be as light as possible. But I’ve been caught a couple times at the range wondering why I’m missing at 500m before I realize I’m on the wrong power. Hopefully I don’t make that mistake on a sheep or goat ha ha.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have and use both, same with mils vs moa

but will say I prefer SFP for long range hunting, allows you to dial in to max power without obliterating your target with the fat ass reticle, that can be and is annoying as all hell, prefer it remains constant over all X's

I never use the reticle to range distance anyway, that's what the rangefinder is for and it's far more accurate than guessing close shyte

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good illumination can alleviate the shortcomings of FFP for certain conditions, but adds expense, weight, and a possible failure point. Another issue can be the illumination interfering with the image. Bobby Tomek has gone through piles of scopes trying to find ones that work well for his hunting in the dark. While on stand, I continually check the brightness of my reticle so it won’t obscure the target, if one appears.

Only FFPs I’ve played with have been fixed-power SWFAs, which don’t really count, but while my shooting with them has been at known distances, no ranging required, the combination of precise markings on the reticle and good repeatable clicks made that shooting easy and kinda fun. Shooting a .22 at 200 yards, I held, then dialed, dialed back, and held again, all perfectly repeatable.

My hunting is usually from a seat (on the ground in my current state of decline) and I can range all the potential shots with a laser while I wait, certainly more accurate than using a reticle on critters that vary widely in size, and that usually aren’t standing around posing. With very few exceptions, a flat-shooting rifle can make the shots I can expect held dead-on, or nearly so, which makes a good bright image and easily visible reticle most important. See deer, hold, bang, usually over in a few seconds….

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
FFP for target and long range hunting, SFP for set and forget, example, the old steel tube 3X Weaver does just fine on 1955 Marlin 35 Remington chunking 220gr Speers at 2175 fps.

Trump Won!
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
At the distances most hunters shoot, 300 yards or less, for me FFP or SFP is not the question, it is the reticle design. Many lower cost FFP have terrible reticle designs that are not optimum at low power. So if you can't afford to higher quality reticle design, like what is in the S&B FFP scopes, you are probably better off with a SFP scope. And at 300 yards or less, the difference that matters between FFP and SFP is the reticle design.

At distance and for precision shooting, FFP all the way.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 05/04/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

I would not consider a FFP for target work.
dave

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Al_Nyhus
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dave7mm

dave

Why? At what range(s)?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I use several FFP scopes for hinting and I have no problem at all.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by jwp475
I use several FFP scopes for hinting and I have no problem at all.
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

dave

Why? At what range(s)?

I would like to know this answer also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swamplord
...I never use the reticle to range distance anyway, that's what the rangefinder is for and it's far more accurate than guessing close shyte
For some reason, this issue persists in these discussions. Estimating range is far from the top of the list of uses for a good graduated reticle. As you mentioned, the advent of effective LRFs over the last couple of decades has relegated estimating range with the reticle to backup duty, only required/useful in rare circumstances.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At the distances most hunters shoot, 300 yards or less, for me FFP or SFP is not the question, it is the reticle design. Many lower cost FFP have terrible reticle designs that are not optimum at low power. So if you can't afford to higher quality reticle design, like what is in the S&B FFP scopes, you are probably better off with a SFP scope. And at 300 yards or less, the difference that matters is between FFP and SFP is the reticle design.
Yeah, reticle design definitely matters, regardless of price point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

dave

What a complete joke!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

dave

Why? At what range(s)?
You'll never see one at 600 or 1000 yard Benchrest matches, if it was the best tool for the job, everyone would be shooting one.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2 members like this: 6BRAI, Al_Nyhus
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by aalf

dave

Why? At what range(s)?
You'll never see one at 600 or 1000 yard Benchrest matches, if it was the best tool for the job, everyone would be shooting one.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For those that put their lives on the line and depend on their scopes to take care of threats at distance, FFP scopes have always been the preferred choice. I will take the wisdom and experience in scope choice from a sniper than a bench rest shooter any day of the week. For those of us that hunt, the field experience of a professional sniper is much more real world and relevant than a bench rest shooter.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 924 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,917
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.