[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
For those that put their lives on the line and depend on their scopes to take care of threats at distance, FFP scopes have always been the preferred choice. I will take the wisdom and experience in scope choice from a sniper than a bench rest shooter any day of the week. For those of us that hunt, the field experience of a professional sniper is much more real world and relevant than a bench rest shooter.

But elk aren’t terrorists and we aren’t Marine snipers—but I see too often where people pretend it is so. A hunter isn’t a heavily supported team in the field, among other things.

I don’t mean to pick on you FS, but it’s a trend that can come back to haunt hunting.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Or a Leupold

So what brand/model is the scope you posted the pic of?

Window lickers wanna know……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What trend are we talking about?

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FFP simply connects the most dots to arrange POA/POI,whether holdover,holdunder,movers and/or atmospherics. Hint.

Your favorite book or movie have less than zero bearing. Hint…………

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 260madman
What trend are we talking about?

Animated targets.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
At the distances most hunters shoot, 300 yards or less, for me FFP or SFP is not the question, it is the reticle design. Many lower cost FFP have terrible reticle designs that are not optimum at low power. So if you can't afford to higher quality reticle design, like what is in the S&B FFP scopes, you are probably better off with a SFP scope. And at 300 yards or less, the difference that matters is between FFP and SFP is the reticle design.
Yeah, reticle design definitely matters, regardless of price point.

This...

I have both FFP and SFP scopes on various hunting rifles. I have sent down the road a couple FFP scopes that I liked , except that their reticle quite frankly sucked for big game hunting when on lower powers, unfortunately I see that a lot on FFP scopes, at least to my eyes, YMMV.

Also before anyone says it, no, I'm not going to walk around all day with the illumination turned on, you shouldn't have to do that if the reticle is worth a crap.

I've never felt at a disadvantage on a long range shot at a game animal with a SFP scope, but I have felt that way in close cover with a FFP scope. My largest desert muley was killed at 50 ft, moving, in wide open country, I'm glad I was using a SFP scope that day.

Season before last I killed an elk at 515 yds with a SFP scope, this season I killed an elk at 485 yds with a FFP scope. I never felt an advantage or disadvantage with the scope used either time.

I like FFP scopes, and I see their merits, but I'm very picky on the reticle. That said, I don't see the overstated disadvantage to SFP scopes for big game hunting that the die hard FFP fan club carry on about.

For other activities, targets, competition etc. I can see and agree where one would be more clearly suited over the other.

Bill

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
For those that put their lives on the line and depend on their scopes to take care of threats at distance, FFP scopes have always been the preferred choice. I will take the wisdom and experience in scope choice from a sniper than a bench rest shooter any day of the week. For those of us that hunt, the field experience of a professional sniper is much more real world and relevant than a bench rest shooter.

But elk aren’t terrorists and we aren’t Marine snipers—but I see too often where people pretend it is so. A hunter isn’t a heavily supported team in the field, among other things.

I don’t mean to pick on you FS, but it’s a trend that can come back to haunt hunting.

Cute, "Elk aren't terrorists", I can see how self amusing it would be to type that.

There is no trend here. There is no comparing hunting to like becoming a Sniper or other military badass. This is about the way and the basis of the decision to go FFP was made by professionals in the know. I like traditional FFP euro scopes with a good bold German #4 reticle with no tactical crap on it, now that's a trend that been going a long time that I support.

Big Stick keeps us amused with his antics here, but the dude knows his stuff through experience and trial and error. When he shares information, it is typically quality. He shared this here:

"FFP simply connects the most dots to arrange POA/POI,whether holdover,holdunder,movers and/or atmospherics."

This is the logic used by professionals also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I could give a flying fuuck what snipers use, and it isn't part of the discussion anyway......

Your quote that I was responding to:

At distance and for precision shooting, FFP all the way.

The need for precision and accuracy is the ultimate requirement in BR shooting.

Good luck holding the X ring on a 1K target with a FFP.....

2 members like this: 6BRAI, Al_Nyhus
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rather than Hurt Feeler Reports,simply cite the subtension you deem requisite. Hint.

Or simply add more punctuation. Hint.

Just sayin’…….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf
The need for precision and accuracy is the ultimate requirement in BR shooting.

Good luck holding the X ring on a 1K target with a FFP.....

Amen. It's always about using the right tool for the job.

Hey...I like this new Like' tab. cool

Forbidden Zoner
2 members like this: alpinecrick, dave7mm
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You Professional Victims are funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Just sayin’………….

your diapers probably wet... ya may wanna change it....

just sayin.....

HINT.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like to see images of FFP reticles at both low power close range and high power long range. Many seem unacceptable to me.

I hear of good ones mentioned but seldom named. Would love to see the short list.

Which "smart" reticle configurations are the favorites for those that hunt and need a scope that's versatile at all distances, without necessarily relying on illumination?

Although I like a lit dot even in SFP.

It would be fun if I could design the reticle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Game populations across the Country would explode if they took away range finders and scopes from all you great white hunters. Poor stumpy couldn't find his dick without magnification.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just not sure I want to know how you know the size of his dick?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She's a Prick Looker of repute,glued to my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel,along with her Diaper Dreaming Brokedick Bed Pan Polishing cohort. Between them,they couldn't summons a down payment on a good scope. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

If only for conversation,the stadia crosshair intersection on a "lowly" 5-20x HD FFP MQ,covers only 1.8" at 1000yds. I missed where the "X-ring's" sizing was cited. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's nobody on the planet that uses a 20X at a 100/200 BR match, let alone at 1K....double hint......

2 members like this: 6BRAI, Al_Nyhus
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rather than Hurt Feeler Reports,simply cite the subtension you deem requisite. Hint.

Or simply add more punctuation. Hint.

Just sayin’…….

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
It's a SFP 10-60x52 March with a .093 dot.
.125 MOA clicks.
At about 40x in the pic.
Coyote target at 1000 yards.
We hold when we can and click when we must.
I've tried my 5-25x56 PMll .with the P3 Mil-Dot reticle.
Love it on the coyotes.
But the coyote target isn't the only thing we have to worry about.
We have a crow target pretty much a life size crow at 850.
The P3 covers it up with just a touch of white At each corner.
And clicking in mils takes you from one side of the crow to the other.
It's not ideal situation.
Plus the PMII weighs about 10 oz more than the March.
I put the weight in the barrel...

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
1 member likes this: Al_Nyhus
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Cute, "Elk aren't terrorists", I can see how self amusing it would be to type that.

There is no trend here. There is no comparing hunting to like becoming a Sniper or other military badass. This is about the way and the basis of the decision to go FFP was made by professionals in the know. I like traditional FFP euro scopes with a good bold German #4 reticle with no tactical crap on it, now that's a trend that been going a long time that I support.

Big Stick keeps us amused with his antics here, but the dude knows his stuff through experience and trial and error. When he shares information, it is typically quality. He shared this here:

"FFP simply connects the most dots to arrange POA/POI,whether holdover,holdunder,movers and/or atmospherics."

This is the logic used by professionals also.

The logic is sound, you don't need to be a wanna be fkn operator, running around like an idiot dressed up in the latest fkn KIT like some goofy ass PRS twat

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 3,178 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,869
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.