-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grandpa made my first slingshot out of a stout forked manzanita branch. Black rubber innertube with a little leather pouch for the rock. I treasured that slingshot and carried that thing everywhere (except school) and got pretty deadly with it.

Wish I still had it for sentimental value. Gone in the mists of time.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I did
Of course.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Still do and shoot the [bleep] out of the seals and sea lions. I used 3/8” steel ball bearings bought by the 1000.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since at least kindergarten.
Still have a Wrist Rocket with stronger surgical rubber and hand-picked pebbles handy.
Probably still have a homemade sling too.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No! It wasn't called that!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had several, of my home made jobs, then one day had the four rabbit hunters show up with their fancy hunting sling shots, one leather pouch full of steel ball bearings for long shots and another pouch with marbles for short range. Those guys were really good shots with a sling shot.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Still do, I use it to splash in front of a young retriever that has lost sight of a "mark" to help get them in dog nose range. And cheap marbles are the best ammo.

Last edited by tophorsecop; 05/04/24.

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Was a member that claimed to kill all kinds of things with his.

Wonder if he came back as a sock puppet? He was very emotional and would send out crazy pm's if you called him on his bullshît.

MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Oh yah: my buddies and I were always on the look out for that perfect fork. Back in North Dakota box elder and lilac seemed to
Make the best forks. Red rubber, shoe tongues and good string were in heavy demand .
Big sport was making little mud balls? Letinh them dry hard the have wars shooting each other. Unwritten rule aim low , Miracle we never shot an eye out. Big score was a hits in the nuts.

1 member likes this: Morewood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when I was a kid. in the 50's, my family all went back to Oakville Iowa to see my grandmother--my dad's mother. While we were there, he was scrounging out in the back shed and came out with his old sling shot( he called it a ni**er flipper. It was a homemade wooden one with red rubber bands, leather pouch on it. It still worked like it was new 30+ years ago before he left home.

I was deadly with it back home and I was hell on the local birds. I think it is still in the family somewhere.
I think we quit using it when we couldn't find aymore red inner tubes.

I am sure my kids never go t hold of it

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Absolutely. I had a Wham-O wooden slingshot first and then a Wrist Rocket. I still remember shooting a bird out of the top of a tree about 20 yards away with the Wrist Rocket. I didn't think I would hit it, but it dropped straight to the ground, stone dead. A pretty effective simple weapon.

B
B
As a kid in the 60’s we made our own.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Late 60 early '70s.
Mohawk haircuts.
Blue jeans and t-shirts.
Black engineer boots.
Wrist rockets.
Cousin worked in a ball bearing plant.
Nothing was safe...

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Yep. Dad taught me how to make them when I was a kid in the 50s and I still keep my slingshot where it’s handy. I’ve also made them for each of my grandkids. Matter of fact, my 11 year old grand daughter is interested in making them and we’re going it looking at dogwood trees for the perfect fork tomorrow if it’s not raining.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yup, Wham-os and natural forks using Wham-o rubbers. Local hoodlums tried pasting us with Daisy BB guns. We backed off and powdered them with marble sized gravel....well beyond BB range.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Got mine from the Cherokee Nation, my mama used to take me places, get some divinity fudge, play in the Oconaluftee River and go to The Western Sizzler We aint sit around and watch The Searchers like a buncha dead asses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Had a "wrist rocket" with silicone tubing, shot marbles or ball bearing....was deadly accurate with it.

I too had a Wrist Rocket, but was never deadly accurate with it.

I did better with a Crossman 760 and then a 140. Always wanted a Crossman 99 lever action, but opted to spend my allowance on .22 ammo instead of CO2 cartridges.

Still have one. The last time I shot it, and hit anything with it, was when a large white and black Pit Bull sauntered across our yard. Not the scenario of the “get off my lawn” type but rather the get out of our neighborhood kind with little kids playing about.

Anyway, a ball bearing on the rump at about 200 fps seemed to keep him moving along.

Had sling shots too. Also “rubber guns” if that’s the term.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Several. Wrist rocket and wooden ones but the most effective one I had, I made out of a coat hanger and doubled up rubber bands with a pocket of denim. With four or five lead shot it was tough on sparrows and starlings.
Made my share of coat hanger ones, but usually cut up a pouch from an old piece of leather if available.

Mostly we shot them at each other in my buddy's backyard. Would turn over the redwood patio furniture for barriers and use eugenia berries or some sort of ornamental cherry type things his mom had growing there.

There may have been a bird or three removed from his peach tree.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I did, but that wasn't what we called them back then... laugh
Exactly we never called them slingshots 😂

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 55 invisible), 3,169 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,129
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.