Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#19431230 05/04/24
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Here in Az we have snowbirds that winter here... I'm going to reverse that and be a sunbird, head north for part of the summer.

This is the route I figure to take as I haven't spent any time in Utah, Idaho or Montana. The farthest North I've ever been is Elko NV, spent lots of time from a kid in Colorado and NM. I picked this route to arrive in the western side of Montana, maybe even jump into Idaho from there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'll be taking a 15ft camp trailer, kayak, fishing poles. Looking to just camp out, dispersed camping at different places on the way. No timetable, figure to leave late June or early July, could stay until sometime Sept if I don't get bored.

I've been researching off the beaten path areas to stop and explore, but you can only go so far with that on the internet.

I grew up creek fishing for trout, though I really don't like eating them. I'm interested in small lakes for the kayak, creeks, small rivers. Dispersed camping mostly, I don't care to camp right next to someone else if it can be avoided.

I'll be taking guns.

If there are any places to catch bass, walleye, sunfish for eating I wouldn't mind trying a few. Might have to head more east for that.

I won't be doing any of the crowded parks. I might stay a week or more at one place or leave after a night... just explore.

This will be a test run for future summers, may do Alaska the same way and Canada, if it seems to work out.

Any advice on places to stop on the way up and places to explore when in Montana would be appreciated. Local knowledge trumps all. Places I can pull my trailer and camp next to water is a plus.

Thanks

Kent

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Basically the same route I used to take when I used to bear hunt out of Troy, Mt.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm sure I'll do a little exploring in Utah and southern Idaho on the way up.

If I'm not burned out I may come back down through the Dakotas, otherwise Wyoming and Colorado.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A trip down HWY 12 along the Lochsa River then north to where the Clearwater River meets the Snake River at Lewiston is worth the drive, see Dowarshac Dam along the way.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by 700LH
A trip down HWY 12 along the Lochsa River then north to where the Clearwater River meets the Snake River at Lewiston is worth the drive, see Dowarshac Dam along the way.

Thank you, noted

Kent

IC B2

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Also I'm not a fly fisherperson... any advice on spinning tackle, even live bait would be appreciated.

Kent

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good to see you post Kent.

Was thinking about you yesterday infact.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Let me know when you hit Montana!

Enjoy Kent.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Good to see you post Kent.

Was thinking about you yesterday infact.

Thanks Jim, hope you and the family are doing well.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Let me know when you hit Montana!

Enjoy Kent.

Will do.

Kent

IC B3

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
So looking at small game hunting in Montana, there's a conservation license, but what is needed to varmint hunt, small game? Is a wolf tag just 50 bucks for a NR?

Kent

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Looks like you’ll get close to Ennis. DON’T skip a trip to Shedhorn.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by krp
So looking at small game hunting in Montana, there's a conservation license, but what is needed to varmint hunt, small game? Is a wolf tag just 50 bucks for a NR?

Kent

https://fwp.mt.gov

More reliable than anything you'll read on here.

MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by krp
Also I'm not a fly fisherperson... any advice on spinning tackle, even live bait would be appreciated.

Kent
In the Clearwater as a ute, we picked the caddis fly larve, off the rocks, and drifted them below a split shot smallest we had! We called the periewinkles. I'm not sure thats the scientfic name. Small 8 baitholder, with two or three larve packed on! Worked good in the Selway and the Lochsa also!

1 member likes this: JD45
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Been looking at that... found another source that says predator hunting doesn't require a license beyond the conservation license, which I need for fishing. So $10 conservation, $100 fishing and probably the $7.50 aquatic... 117.50... that sounds cheap. Less than a yearly fishing license on the San Carlos Apache rez.

I'll just buy what I need when I get there at a regional office, just want to be legal if I pop a coyote or shoot a couple rabbits for the dutch oven.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by krp

Kent
In the Clearwater as a ute, we picked the caddis fly larve, off the rocks, and drifted them below a split shot smallest we had! We called the periewinkles. I'm not sure thats the scientfic name. Small 8 baitholder, with two or three larve packed on! Worked good in the Selway and the Lochsa also!

Sounds like kinda what we do fishing the Black river... flip rocks for hellgrammites and small crawdads. My kind of fishing.

Kent

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dang Kent,

Enjoy!

Dakotahs... hmmm.... maybe we can meet up

A new adventure at hand for you!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp

Thank you, noted

Kent

Kent, do a little research on Dworshak reservoir. I never managed to get up there but friends in the area told me the smallmouth fishing can be fantastic. With some big ones.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/smallmouth-bass-state-record-falls-once-more

Not sure about the Clearwater, but the Snake in that area around Lewiston and above holds smallies and such too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by krp

Thank you, noted

Kent

Kent, do a little research on Dworshak reservoir. I never managed to get up there but friends in the area told me the smallmouth fishing can be fantastic. With some big ones.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/smallmouth-bass-state-record-falls-once-more

Not sure about the Clearwater, but the Snake in that area around Lewiston and above holds smallies and such too.

Oh ya, I'm a smallie fisherman!

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you end up there, just don't get too far west or you'll be in commiwarsihngton.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,740 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,011
Posts18,520,664
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.