Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
631 PM AST MON JAN 14 2008

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 6 PM AST
TUESDAY...

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY HAS EXPIRED...
.TONIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW.
LOWS 10 TO 20 BELOW...RISING OVERNIGHT. EAST WINDS 15 TO 30 MPH.
.TUESDAY...SNOW AND AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW WITH NEAR ZERO
VISIBILITY. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 2 INCHES. HIGHS AROUND
10 ABOVE. EAST WINDS 20 TO 35 MPH.
.TUESDAY NIGHT...AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW IN THE EVENING WITH NEAR
ZERO VISIBILITY. SNOW LIKELY. SNOW ACCUMULATION AROUND 2 INCHES.
LOWS 5 TO 10. SOUTH WINDS 20 TO 35 MPH.

Expired ..............?????

I guess it's all relative, just like there are some who wish they could pay only $5.00/gal for the heating fuel that "trickles" through the furnace in this weather.... grin

(Having just finshed reading "The Lost Men" the story of the Ross Sea side of Shackleton's failed Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1915, most of our problems seem quite inconsequential - let's see, that tooth isn't actually loose, my gums are fine...no scurvy here. smile )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K,

Relative is right! When I left Kaktovik on Saturday, it was about -35, and enough light wind to really make it bite. When I stepped off the plane in Anchorage, it was -5, and -5 felt pretty darn nice!

Stay warm,

Jeff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was talking to las about this very thing this evening. When I lived in Fbx, it would warm from -40 or -50 to 0 and folks would be out in T-shirts. -18 this morning was abominable....relatively!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
154 mph on Sheep Mtn. in Juneau last night but we are freezing down here ---Cloudy. Scattered snow showers in the evening...then snow late. Snow accumulation 1 to 2 inches. Lows around 28....slowly rising overnight. Southwest wind 15 mph shifting to the southeast late

megabucks

Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office. � Anonymous

"It's Organic"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're all way tougher than I am. My wife is in SW and we went from O'ahu at 80 degrees, Saturday, to her -38 when she got out there this am. Just dang!, nearly a 120 degree difference. It's amazing how adaptable humans are, (or at least she's adaptable.) Glad I live in the balmy South (central). It's up to nearly 4 degrees right now.
batch

Last edited by batch; 01/15/08.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

Chandalar Lake-foot of the Brooks Range

-59F this day
-79 windchill

Stay warm Dave.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Windier than chitt here too.Also cold.We get the same weather pattern as you guys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Geez, guys. Things are gettin' pretty bad when all we got to talk about is the cold & wind chill. Livin' in the "Yuke", we gotta expect that kinda weather.
NOW!!!! How's about talkin' about the next huntin' trip? BTW, ya'll stay warm. laugh laugh
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's just wrong when it's minus something and the wind blows. That said, at -60, it doesn't take much wind to make it feel 20 degrees colder. But still, cold can be a sharp if manageable problem. Wind is just brutal.

I know we haven't been experiencing -100 windchill (right now). However, I thought it was kind of funny that the National Weather Service was forecasting significant sub-zero temps along with wind, and allowing a wind chill advisory to lapse. I do like having our first above zero temps today, for the first time in a couple of weeks though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Definately doesn't take much wind to put a bite into the cold. I've been in -30 with the windchill driving it to -95, and it was dippy doo dang cold.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get MSM TV out of LA on the satellite. The other day the weatherdude was solemnly warning his viewers to bundle up, because it was going to get really cold and drop down into the 40's grin.

At the time it was about 31.7 degrees, raining an inch an hour, and blowing sideways at 35 knots or so.

And I'm in the tropical part of Alaska... whistle.

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sept in Fbx would produce outside college students bundled in new REI down parkas with the hood tightly snorkeled...at 35 degrees. I always wondered how they were going to make it in winter.

Then there was the Cali grad student that showed up to clean seal pens in her "work" clothes. Pink overalls and a matching turtle neck shirt - what some Fbx residents might wear to a party!

People is funny.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muledeer
At the time it was about 31.7 degrees, raining an inch an hour, and blowing sideways at 35 knots or so.

whistle.

Sometimes rather viscous rain too, I suspect in those conditions. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Viscous, and occasionally seemingly vicious. Gusts would bump into the 60's -- when it blows the liquid through the seams of your Helly's -- you know it's ugly out.

But at least I don't have to shovel rain grin...

Dropping the wind chill advisory when it warmed up into the upper sub-zero's and the wind dropped to 15-25 mph is pretty funny -- relative to a lot of the rest of the country. North Dakotans, on the other hand, would just say "Yah, well...sure. It's not so bad out, now then..."

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like quite a stretch of "global warming" up there!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those cold temps make it tough on light aircraft pilots like myself. Aircraft just cold soaks. I spent a few cold winters out Bethel way and else were in the interior. You get use to it after a while, and even now, I don't like the hot weather like I use to before I started flying in Alaska. I just applied for a job back in Bethel today. Just dress proper and watch your exposure and keep warm. I found putting a couple of hand warmers on my lower back, did the trick for me down to around 45 below or so. but we always stopped flying with the OAT at around 35 below. So we would just get lots of rest and eat a lot during those periods.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, Akhutr, AKislander, 79S, 17 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,440
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.