-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you abide by the principles of scouting you can't end up as a bad person. The destruction of the boy scouts is something that makes me most angry about what has been defeated in the culture wars. IT WAS THE SAME NEW YORK LEGAL SYSTEM that is going after trump that sewed the seeds of the destruction of the boy scouts. What they did was plant people in strategic areas to bring lawsuits against the scouts. New york changed its statue of limitations to accommodate the suits. You have 70 and 80 year old men trying to make claims against the scouts that they were molested. Its ridiculous.

the left hates what the boy scouts stood for with every fiber of their being. Teaching young boys how to be men, fathers and husbands. Protectors with skills to handle things. That is what scouting stood for. Also a love of country and a desire to protect it. Of course all that sucks and the left had to take it down at all costs. I hope when the Lord decides to regulate and the house of cards collapses that its those who took down the boy scouts that are dealt with in a particularly harsh and severe manner by our father in heaven

3 members like this: flatfish11, Oklahomahunter, 2five7
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
At Scout camp, they had the pop machine tarped, and locked with a chain. The Scouts were opening the bottles, and drinking the pop with straws/

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
https://www.khou.com/article/news/n...0UVXpbkRtzyxvKwNW-auCeE3XUxhC-zNj-oAOHKu

Boy Scouts of America changing name for 1st time in its 114-year history
The organization steeped in tradition has made seismic changes after decades of turmoil, from finally allowing gay youth to welcoming girls throughout its ranks.

Next up in 5

KHOU 11 Investigates: HPD email shows Chief Finner knew about suspended cases code earlier than he claimed

The Day After: Orlando Magic look back at their season with pride

Author: JAMIE STENGLE (Associated Press)
Published: 10:50 AM CDT May 7, 2024
Updated: 10:52 AM CDT May 7, 2024
Facebook

IRVING, Texas — The Boy Scouts of America is changing its name for the first time in its 114-year history and will become Scouting America. It's a significant shift as the organization emerges from bankruptcy following a flood of sexual abuse claims and seeks to focus on inclusion.

The organization steeped in tradition has made seismic changes after decades of turmoil, from finally allowing gay youth to welcoming girls throughout its ranks. With an eye on increasing flagging membership numbers, the Irving, Texas-based organization announced the name change Tuesday at its annual meeting in Florida.

“In the next 100 years we want any youth in America to feel very, very welcome to come into our programs,” Roger Krone, who took over last fall as president and chief executive officer, said in an interview before the announcement.

The organization began allowing gay youth in 2013 and ended a blanket ban on gay adult leaders in 2015. In 2017, it made the historic announcement that girls would be accepted as Cub Scouts as of 2018 and into the flagship Boy Scout program — renamed Scouts BSA — in 2019.

There were nearly 1,000 young women in the inaugural class of female Eagle Scouts in 2021, including Selby Chipman. The all-girls troop she was a founding member of in her hometown of Oak Ridge, North Carolina, has grown from five girls to nearly 50, and she thinks the name change will encourage even more girls to realize they can join.

“Girls were like: ‘You can join Boy Scouts of America?’” said Chipman, now a 20-year-old college student and assistant scoutmaster of her troop.

Within days of the announcement that girls would be allowed, Bob Brady went to work. A father of two girls and a proud Eagle Scout himself, the New Jersey attorney eagerly formed an all-girls troop. At their first weekend gathering with other troops, the boys were happy to have the girls involved but some adult leaders seemed concerned, he recalled. Their worries seemed to melt away as soon as the girls led a traditional cheer around the campfire.

“You could see a change in the attitude of some of the doubters who weren’t sure and they realized, wait, these kids are exactly the same, they just happen to have ponytails,” said Brady. His daughters are among the 13 girls in his troop and 6,000 girls nationwide who have achieved the vaunted Eagle Scout rank.
Credit: Christopher Millette/Erie Times-News via AP, File
FILE - A sign marks the headquarters for the French Creek Council of the Boy Scouts of America in Summit Township in Erie County, Pa.

Like other organizations, the scouts lost members during the pandemic, when participation was difficult. After a highpoint over the last decade of over 2 million members in 2018, the organization currently services just over 1 million youths, including more than 176,000 girls and young women. Membership peaked in 1972 at almost 5 million.

The move by the Boy Scouts to accept girls throughout their ranks strained a bond with the Girl Scouts of the USA, which sued, saying it created marketplace confusion and damaged their recruitment efforts. They reached a settlement agreement after a judge rejected those claims, saying both groups are free to use words like “scouts” and “scouting.”

While camping remains an integral activity for the Boy Scouts, the organization offers something for everyone today, from high adventures to merit badges for robotics and digital technology, Krone said: “About anything kids want to do today, they can do in a structured way within the scouting program."
Credit: AP
FILE - Merit badges and a rainbow-colored neckerchief slider are affixed on a Boy Scout uniform outside the headquarters of Amazon in Seattle.

The Boy Scouts’ $2.4 billion bankruptcy reorganization plan took effect last year, allowing the organization to keep operating while compensating the more than 80,000 men who say they were sexually abused as children while scouting.

Angelique Minett, the first woman chairperson of Scouts BSA, gets excited about the future of scouting when she sees the about 20-person youth council from across the United States help guide the program by raising issues important to them, like sustainability, and things that they'd like to see changed, like the fit on some of the uniforms.

“When we think scouts we think knots and camping, but those are a means to an end," Minett said. “We are actually teaching kids a much bigger thing. We are teaching them how to have grit, and we’re teaching them life skills and we’re teaching them how to be good leaders.”

The organization won't officially become Scouting America until Feb. 8, 2025, the organization's 115th birthday. But Krone said he expects people will start immediately using the name.

“It sends this really strong message to everyone in America that they can come to this program, they can bring their authentic self, they can be who they are and they will be welcomed here,” Krone said.
KHOU-TV

Jobs
I thought they'd been defunct for years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boy Scouts will always be just that to me and most that I deal with. Troops always have and always will be a representation of those adults that volunteer their time. Bad troops typically have lazy adults or are run by women. I’m far from supportive of some of the decisions BSA has made, but I wouldn’t for a second discount what the program (when done correctly) has done to build great men.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This will end the Boy Scouts.

[Linked Image from newscdn2.weigelbroadcasting.com]

Already has

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sodom & Gomorrah

Guess what follows…….

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 1minute
They are simply digging a deeper hole with all of the inclusion bull sh-t and will not survive.

Locally, I thought we provided an excellent experience, most especially for kids without father figures. Great campouts in every season, some firearms exposure, a 90+mile whitewater float trip, and community service projects.

Sad indeed.

+1 ,still a lot of great locals. Ours is great. but i fear this inclusion/diversity theme is feeding the slow decline. My boys are making eagle and aging out soon, but the affiliated Cub pack in town has 2 transgender kids. I mean, wtf? No one wants to join, no one wants that crap. Its going to kill the cubs, which feeds the boyscouts.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RHOD
I thought the Boy Scouts already changed their name to NAMBLA.

and you joined

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The real crime is what happened to Girls Scouts of America. It became an all out propaganda organization promoting abortion rights and lesbianism. No longer were there merit badges for camping or swimming or archery, but now about contraception and self pleasure.

As a parent with girls, if you want them to learn about scouting skills and traditions, you won't find them in Girls Scouts.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You have to ask yourself...

Who does a good turn daily and floats on water?

A Bouy Scout.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the scouts were a little bit like the NRA, they had a central organization that lived off big sponsorships from corporations and scout executives that got paid quite a bit of money a year. This made them a target, take away corporate sponsors and the salaries at the top are jeapordized. I think the BSA should have decentralized and pushed everything to the councils and turned the national part to all volunteer. that way only the councils could be sued and the national organization have no assets to meaningful attach to.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
No more "boys", either.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was in Boy Scouts for 3 years, and Explorers for 3 more years. I went on over 50 weekend campouts. I went to Camp Bert Adams for a one week summer camp, five times.

I never saw any sign of sex pervert stuff going on. Never saw a kid going into the scoutmaster's tent at midnight, never heard any rumor of this stuff going on. To collect money years ago when the lawsuits were going on, all you had to do was prove that you were in the Boy Scouts, and the lawyers took it from there. Lawyers are shameless, they will represent anybody, as long as they can make money.

I think most of these claims were spurious, and they destroyed a once-great institution.

I had a great time in Boy Scouts, wouldn't trade it for anything.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I was in Boy Scouts for 3 years, and Explorers for 3 more years. I went on over 50 weekend campouts. I went to Camp Bert Adams for a one week summer camp, five times.

I never saw any sign of sex pervert stuff going on. Never saw a kid going into the scoutmaster's tent at midnight, never heard any rumor of this stuff going on. To collect money years ago when the lawsuits were going on, all you had to do was prove that you were in the Boy Scouts, and the lawyers took it from there. Lawyers are shameless, they will represent anybody, as long as they can make money.

I think most of these claims were spurious, and they destroyed a once-great institution.

Can you show us one that was claimed, but didn't happen?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

there is 70 and 80 year old men claiming abuse.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You get a sad 75 year old guy who is desperate for money, he makes up a story about abuse in the Boy Scouts, he walks away with a million* bucks. None of these cases went to criminal court, the cases could not be proven, or disproven in a court of law. Of course the statute of limitations had long since run out.

*Attorneys Shylock and Goldstein get $333,000 of that.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was an Eagle Scout and Scout leader for many years. I donated a LOT of time and money to our local troop and really enjoyed working with the kids, especially those whose dad’s never took their sons on any outdoor activities. We did a lot of hunting and fishing along with high adventure activities and the kids loved it! I saw the writing on the wall in 2012 and quit the organization entirely. It was co-opted by corporations who themselves were compromised. What was a solid conservative organization instilling those values in young men could not be tolerated. It was destroyed from within and without. Only Marxist organizations like the Girl Scouts are allowed to keep functioning.

I’m betting of the 80k claim, less than 10% are actually true. Just a bunch of opportunists looking for a payday.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
2 members like this: cumminscowboy, flatfish11
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have fond mummeries of the trip to Philmont Scout Ranch.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
BSA was already struggling, this is the beginning of the end.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
During my time in the BSA in the 1950s, boys being boys, there was a lot of interest and talk about sex, but never any rumors of contact either with adults or among the boys. I did have a tent partner one time who was a compulsive masturbator. I told him that if one drop of his stuff got on my side of the tent I would beat the crap out of him.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (1lesfox, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 37 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,208
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.