Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Purchased a Dan Crotts knife off the Classifieds from INTHEMTNS and it finally arrived!

Really like the Sheep horn scales!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Just a nice perfect EDC size!

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Very nice. I remember the original offering as I was too late to the show. Enjoy!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice. Dan makes a nice knife

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kinda regret not buying that one. Congrats

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Daniel makes a great knife. I wanted a pair from he and Tom Krein, who ran the Dozier Arkansas Made shop before going on his own and Daniel taking over. I went to Daniel's flat grinding seminar at Blade 2007 and we worked out a knife to match the Panfish I'd just received from Tom. Good people ALL:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Journeyman; 05/08/24.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have exactly 1 Dozier made knife as well. I ordered it directly from Dozier back when Dan would have been working in the shop as well.

It's a Professional Guides Knife with black micarta, all I could afford as a single parent at the time. I carried it for many years and the belt loop of the kydex sheath broke and I put it away. I dug it out last night for my son and I to look at to see if we can repair it someway for regular use.

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by frogman43
I have exactly 1 Dozier made knife as well. I ordered it directly from Dozier back when Dan would have been working in the shop as well.

It's a Professional Guides Knife with black micarta, all I could afford as a single parent at the time. I carried it for many years and the belt loop of the kydex sheath broke and I put it away. I dug it out last night for my son and I to look at to see if we can repair it someway for regular use.

Frog----OUT!

It would be interesting to see how many guys here started with a Dozier as their gateway drug to higher end knives. Bob really deserves a lot of credit for showing what things like good design, good heat treat and thin grinds do to elevate knife performance. Surely a hall of fame level legend.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Frog----OUT!

It would be interesting to see how many guys here started with a Dozier as their gateway drug to higher end knives. Bob really deserves a lot of credit for showing what things like good design, good heat treat and thin grinds do to elevate knife performance. Surely a hall of fame level legend.

Actually, I do believe that my Dozier Professional Guides knife was my very first "Custom" order, however I'm not sure I would call this grind thin by any means! LOL It was and is hell for stout and has taken all of the use and abuse I ever threw it's way!

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be interesting to see how many guys here started with a Dozier as their gateway drug to higher end knives.

That would be me...
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

1 member likes this: frogman43
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wanna say my first custom was a David Winston.

Maybe second was a Dozier.

Both were D2.

Back before the interwebs, remember Dozier having an ad in the back pages of Outdoor life?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dozier was my first. I called their shop and spoke with Mrs. Dozier and placed my order. This was probably in the mid-90s. At one time I probably had 9 - 10 Dozier's around at any given time. Over the years I have had many of their hunting line knives. For the money, they are a pretty solid working knife.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Yep, a Dozier was the first "nice" knife I purchased. I can't say that I've ever had a better "cutter" on flesh than his steel and grinds.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by huntsman22
It would be interesting to see how many guys here started with a Dozier as their gateway drug to higher end knives.

That would be me...
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I see I'm not the only one to be enamored by the Professional Guide knife pattern.....LOL

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Frog----OUT!

You and I are in the same boat - my wife gave me a black pro guide about 15 years ago and it is my "go to" when a four legged critter needs cutting. I've tried others but keep coming back to this one. Picked up one with canvas micatra scales for my son a couple of years ago and plan to give it to him this coming season.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nice piece!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mr. A G Russel told me that Dozier was likely the one that ground this Morseth knife in either 1971 or 1972. I bought it in 1972 for $30. So I guess I have been using a Dozier made knife for a little over 50 years. I don't know if he was making his own brand of knife prior to going to work for Morseth in late 1971.

Harry
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Frog----OUT!

Send the knife and sheath to the shop - they will make you a new sheath.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Context? I signed up for a 3 year wait. Beautiful knife dude.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by add

Frog----OUT!

Send the knife and sheath to the shop - they will make you a new sheath.

Yes, for a fee. My son and I were able to fashion a new belt loop out of leather yesterday and secured it to the sheath using steel pop-rivets in the holes on the sheath. If I find the right piece of nylon webbing, I might replace it with that. It will then look like their "Wilderness" sheath they want $75 for.

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This crotts sets the bar pretty high.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: frogman43
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 2ndwind, 358WCF, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 2,994 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,623
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.