-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We're down to 4 birds since the end of March. A Barred Rock, Partridge Rock, and 2 Colombian Wyandottes. They've been laying 3 eggs a day since early April. More than we can eat.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by rickt300
Well near the end of the molting the the 5 that are finished molting are laying 7-8 eggs a day. Few more than I need but that's OK.

Sorry dude, but a hen doesn't lay every day nor do they lay more than one egg per day.
Five hens aren't going to lay 7-8 eggs a day.

Probably the best laying hens are the little Leghorn hens. Brown or white.

I prefer the dual purpose, heavy breeds.
Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, nearly any of the Wyandotte breeds. Auracana or Americana (Easter Eggers) are also a good layer and multi purpose breed.

They will lay a minimum of 4 out of 7 days and I have had a few chickens that almost put out an egg every day and some that put out two a day a couple times a week. In fact my previous flock that aged out were Rhode Island Reds and I regularly got 4-5 eggs out of them a day (5 hens) I am not expecting these to do that all the time and don't even need more than 4 eggs a day. Red Star is a multi purpose breed. Auracana or Americana I am familiar with but other than being pretty felt they were a bit dumb and didn't fare well around my neighborhood hawks. Not sure why these hens suddenly went from hardly laying eggs to going above and beyond the call of duty, all the calcium I have been giving them to get through molting maybe. So far though they seem to be doing just fine. As for being broody I prefer they not be. If I want chicks I will incubate some eggs and usually I only do that if I plan to slaughter some for meat.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Got an Easter egged in the flock one ugly bitch lays evry other day

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a handful of chickens. My leghorns are without a doubt, the most consistent layers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of the very limited experience that I have. My ISA Browns laid the largest and most consistent (about 5 a week). The Rhode Island Reds come in second. Never could keep Jersey Giants alive long enough to get a good read on them. The one Cinnamon Queen that we had was a dud.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
1 member likes this: llc2
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We've got a couple gold sex links (golden comets?), a barred rock, and an americauna. The sex links are once a day, 360 days a year layers so far. They're a couple years old. The others lay when they feel like it. Often enough to make a colorful basket of eggs.

I plan to pick up a couple more hens later this spring.

Last edited by Ella; 05/08/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Always liked barred rocks

Yep. They won't lay as big a eggs or as many in a year than some of the others, but they usually are good for 3 years or so. The "hybrid" chickens often only last for a year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"... I have been giving them to get through molting ..."

What state are you in?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Egg laying cycle for a hen.

It takes a hen 24 to 28 hours to develop an egg internally.
Once a hen lays an egg, the process begins again in 15 to 30 minutes.

Hens "can" lay 2 eggs per day, but it's rare and seldom happens.

Hens can produce 250 to 300 eggs a year.

Chickens "moult" in late fall, early winter and egg production falls off.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I always liked Barred Rocks. Good layers, good setters and a good meat chicken.

Turn those chickens over. If the vent is blue, they are laying. If yellow they are not layers.Those go it the pot.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smallfry
I have a handful of chickens. My leghorns are without a doubt, the most consistent layers.

Same here. Always had best luck with leghorns as far as being consistent good layers.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are losing chickens to hawks, get black chickens as the hawks think they are crows. Crows and hawks don't get along.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m getting chickens based on a pretty broad spectrum……not just egg laying.

I’m looking at, meat production, good foragers, good brooders, good wintering (sub zero temps) capabilities, and general personalities.

I built a spreadsheet of my wants, and tried to determine which birds checked all of the boxes!

They didn’t have to be #1 in any category……merely average or better in all.

Our chicken breed selection is part of our long term “prepper plan” 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/09/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've had chickens 35 years and have tried about every breed out there. We like about a dozen with RI Reds,,Barred Rocks and easter egg mix. My favorite eggs are Kaki Cambell duck eggs but winter and water throws a monkeys wrench in the whole works/ Ducks in the front room frozen in the water bowl is fairly commen sight here when in the duck mode!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by earlybrd
White legerns are egg machines

Yup, that’s what we always found. Nothing fancy but they do produce.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by waterrat
We've had chickens 35 years and have tried about every breed out there. We like about a dozen with RI Reds,,Barred Rocks and easter egg mix. My favorite eggs are Kaki Cambell duck eggs but winter and water throws a monkeys wrench in the whole works/ Ducks in the front room frozen in the water bowl is fairly commen sight here when in the duck mode!

My little Khaki Campbell hen is a laying machine. With our California mild winter (relatively, we still get snow) she was producing 5-6 eggs a week the entire winter. Now it's the odd day she hasn't laid.

I now have 4 more Golden 300 Layers month old ducklings , from Metzer, and am hoping those hens will do as well.

Was just talking to Art today about raising various poultry in AK. Good to know that at least the Khaki Campbells can survive the winter up there. He also told me about your bear-riding dog. Good boy smile

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My favorite was our Barred rock hen, and the Hamburg

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
[Linked Image]The world record was set by an Australorp (364 eggs in 365 days). Proficient layers that can also be a good meat bird. Winter hardy as well.

Last edited by North_to_Alaska; 05/08/24.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Neighbor has around 25 chickens and 8 ducks. They spend several hours a day free ranging on my property. Neighbor gives me a couple dozen eggs a week.
Pretty sweet deal.
For me the best layers are someone else's.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by slumlord
My *best layers were little california whites, smaller built hen, but she laid a Large size egg daily.

I had California Whites and White Leghorns.. Both were about the same, but the California Whites would roost in the trees 15' off the ground. Both of these birds will outlay any brown egg layer.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 35WhelenNut, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 24 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.