Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My dad is now in assisted living and I have the task of disposing of his lifetime of woodcarving tools, equipment, supplies, reference materials etc.
Is there someone here that is a woodcarver that might be able to guide me to a forum, group or individuals who can help me get better than garage sale prices for it?
There’s Foredom tools both long flex shaft and handheld
Air brushes
Chisels
Paints, brushes, airbrushes
Metal bird feet, eyes etc
Bench, vises both under slung and a ball vise
A closet full of reference material (schitload)
Bandsaw, drill press
Tackle boxes filled with supplies
ETC!
I know benchman is a carver. Is he around anymore?
Anyway, if there’s someone that can help me with this I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance. Mark

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Not a easy thing to go through in life, best wishes with everything

Last edited by Irving_D; 05/08/24.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, I WAS a carver! I still do it, just not very much. I've switched to watercolors. Easier, and not even CLOSE to as much time involved. I just do it for fun, now. Unfortunately, I don't think it's as popular as it once was. I suppose you could advertise it in one of the woodcarving magazines, but have no idea what that would cost. I'm sure it's good stuff, and there is somebody out there looking for it, just not sure how to find them!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd advertise with these guys...https://www.wildfowl-carving.com/

1 member likes this: m_stevenson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd drop a note to these folks and see if they have an idea - https://www.miwoodcarvers.com

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Benchman and Pugs, thanks for the leads

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am in the same boat. I have an entire big tackle box filled with tools of my father's.My hands are all twisted with arthritis and I can't use them. Sold my checkering tools to Mr Fixit on here

There is Woodcarvers Guild in Colorado Springs

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/08/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I will give Woodcarver’s Guild a look.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Unfortunately, like many things, it's becoming a lost art IMO! Kids nowadays don't have the same interests/skill sets many of us did. I've got a $hitload of tools from dad/granddad/Great granddad! Most are gonna go to friends/donated/given away someday! Was in a few "antique stores" recently and was depressed by the prices on things I thought would fetch much more due to being "antique"! A shadow box with a few of his tools and a picture of him is a nice way to remember him and the enjoyment he got from those tools!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I carve decoys, and use most everything you mentioned, can certainly help out with prices if needed. I have multiple foredoms, got tired of changing frequently used handpieces. Pics would go a long way. Does he by chance of backissues of wildfowl carving magazine? Those sale pretty easy. i probably have 15 years worth or more.

If on FB, look for decoycarvingforum, michigan hunting decoy carvers and makers, could probably sale some stuff to those guys.

As far as actual websites still in use, duckboats.net has lots of carvers still on it and a sale page

Here's a few of my birds

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by killerv; 05/10/24.
1 member likes this: Gringo Loco
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There’s Foredom tools both long flex shaft and handheld.....when you say handheld, you mean the handpieces that go on end of the shaft or the micromoter foredom for detail. it would sit on a table. Any nice foredom stuff would be an easy sell but there are a lot of used ones out there. SR and TX are popular models.

Air brushes....depends brand and model, is it a 20 dollar airbrush or a 300 dollar airbrush.

Chisels...some of the real highend old school carvers love old craftsman tools like that. May get a little if not made in china of course.

Paints, brushes, airbrushes....acrylics would probably be bad, even if never opened.. Oils you'd more than likely be ok. Tube oils or cans? Used brushes wouldnt getting anything unless they are some highend sable brushes that can be reconditioned. Any unopened LC 7020s? I'd be interested. My favorite detail brush.

Metal bird feet, eyes etc....I've only done a few birds with metal feet and I remember paying anywhere for 8-15 bucks depending on what it was. Eyes can be cheap 50 eyes or 10 dollar blended taxidermy style eyes.

Bench, vises both under slung and a ball vise.... folks always looking for vises. Especially the chisel and spokeshave guys.

A closet full of reference material (schitload)...some can be worth some money, old back issues of wildfowl carving mag, Keith Mueller books.

Bandsaw, drill press...again maker, what cut is it capable of. A bird carver probably has a riser installed on theirs bandsaw also. Most carvers use a minimum of a 14in bandsaw with riser.

Tackle boxes filled with supplies...probably has some foredom bits in there, kutzall, typhoon bits are popular....some can be pricy, but they do dull overtime and all you can really do is buy new ones if they do.

Last edited by killerv; 05/10/24.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Sir, thank you for your detailed response. I just packed up all his stuff from the condominium and brought it home here where I can organize and catalog it. It will be as soon as I can get a chance. Tomorrow is doctors appointment for Dad, and Wednesday too. If I can get to it on Tuesday I will make a list

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 3,512 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,486
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.