Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
…of modern science believed that Christianity was true…? Men such as Descartes, Newton, Kepler, Galileo, Locke, Copernicus, Faraday, Kelvin, and Pasteur.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
1 member likes this: memtb
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Because they recognized intelligent design that could only come from the hand of the Creator.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
8 members like this: jameister, WhiteTail48, Dons99, 3040Krag, JeffyD, Godogs57
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Because they hadn't been educated beyond their intelligence.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Because, "IT", is.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
1 member likes this: jameister
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Social pressure. If you read the Bible, it makes no sense. If someone else tells you what it says, it all makes sense and you create Christianity.
Christians were 100X more obnoxious and dangerous in those days than they are now, so it was play along or get killed or ostracized...they're not very open minded. These days they're on the verge of irrelevance, and I can't wait to watch Christianity's influence in American die off.

1 member likes this: RocketNo1
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Some of you dil dos are just that. Mart was correct while you schitttkickers remain lost.

Last edited by bluefish; 05/09/24.

The way life should be.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by antlers
…of modern science believed that Christianity was true…? Men such as Descartes, Newton, Kepler, Galileo, Locke, Copernicus, Faraday, Kelvin, and Pasteur.

Antlers, with all respect, we all know they had no choice in the matter, at least in what they published or taught.

The wages of Heresy was usually death in a very unpleasant manner.

Remember what happened to Galileo just for publishing the theory of heliocentricism? He spent the last nine years of his life under arrest.

Copernicus died before the Inquisition could get hold of him.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
1 member likes this: BFaucett
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Why didn't Galileo make your list?

If there something about him you don't want to discuss?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
AS, Galileo is right there in your quote.

Honestly, while on topic, if we were still under the Inquisition, I and most others would be professing our love of God, True or not.

Honest, obviously not. But most of us have a sense of self preservation.

How many here would advocate a return of the Inquisition?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or maybe it was because the Church would have burned them at the stake...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Which came first, The belief system or the quest of science?

Anyone child that has the weight of their family, friends, neighbors, ancestors, the local church and their government telling them what to believe, they'll believe it.

Those beliefs will be set before anything else and we'll often be willing to fight or die for what we've come to believe..especially if we have God on our side.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Spanish Inquisition came right after hundreds of years under Muslim rule, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Social pressure. If you read the Bible, it makes no sense. If someone else tells you what it says, it all makes sense and you create Christianity.
Christians were 100X more obnoxious and dangerous in those days than they are now, so it was play along or get killed or ostracized...they're not very open minded. These days they're on the verge of irrelevance, and I can't wait to watch Christianity's influence in American die off.

Some of my worst encounters with People were Christians. Fact!

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colodog
Which came first, The belief system or the quest of science?

Anyone child that has the weight of their family, friends, neighbors, ancestors, the local church and their government telling them what to believe, they'll believe it.

Those beliefs will be set before anything else and we'll often be willing to fight or die for what we've come to believe..especially if we have God on our side.

Exactly. I remember a Chinese scientist came in lectured in United States. He said in China we can speak against Darwin but not against the government. In the United States you can speak against the government but not Darwin.

People here are brainwashed from cartoons through graduate school that evolution is a fact and no further need for information is required to believe it.

And yet every year we see PhD degree evolutionist scientists becoming creationists and we never see the reverse.

Everyday Hunter
1 member likes this: DMc
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Plenty of scientists now are embracing Christianity.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
People are "brainwashed" about evolution but believing in creation isn't from being "brainwashed"?

you've missed my point.

We've all been "brainwashed" by well meaning people from the time we were born.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Because they were brought up in Christian societies?

This guy, Al-Khwarizmi, is the supposed "father of algebra". Good chance he didn't believe in Christianity per se.

This smart dude named Albert, apparently thought the ancient Indians pretty important to modern science, and I doubt they believed "Christianity was true"

“We owe a lot to the ancient Indians, teaching us how to count. Without which most modern scientific discoveries would have been impossible.” – Albert Einstein

Seems the Indians gave us a symbol for the concept of zero, and a few other goodies

https://www.thebetterindia.com/63119/ancient-india-science-technology/

I wonder if there is a majority of pioneers of modern science that "believed Christianity was true" or just a good number of them. And there are probably some pioneer non-believers that believe Jesus Christ existed and therefor is a real person, but don't believe the religion named after him is true for them.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colodog
People are "brainwashed" about evolution but believing in creation isn't from being "brainwashed"?

you've missed my point.

We've all been "brainwashed" by well meaning people from the time we were born.

I was "brainwashed" in tenth grade biology to believe Negros were lower on the evolutionary scale than Caucasians. By the time I was twenty-five I was an atheistic evolutionist. A fellow showed me an article by an evolutionist with several photos of skeletons. To my chagrin the white skeleton was closer to the ape than the Negro skeleton. I was so upset I consulted a psychiatrist.

After I did some more research I discovered ALL evolutionists were discredited by other evolutionists. So we all choose to believe whatever we feel the most comfortable with. After a few years I considered creation more believable than the alternative.

Even the guy who discovered DNA said it was too complex to come about by chance. He coined the term "panspermia" (spacemen brought it)! And he remained a brainwashed evolutionist rather than accept the obvious: Information requires an Information Giver.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would argue that the pioneers of early science were actually Aristotle, Hero, Eratosthenes, Archimedes, etc.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
1 member likes this: Ringman
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 78 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,852
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.