Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As previously reported, we are following #3 son, Angus, to Glasgow to watch him compete in the World Bagpipe Competition. KYHillChick and I have booked a 2 week trip with stops in Edinburgh, the Hebrides, and London. The rooms are already paid for, so that's no big deal. My question is for those of you who travel to Great Britain. What's the best strategy for paying for food, trains, cabs, etc?

The last time I went back in the late 80s, I thought a Visa Card would get me through. That was a big mistake. At the time, Barklay Bank was in bed with Master Card, but I left that at home. This time I've got a choice of various cards: Amex, MC and Visa.

Also, I'd like a recommendation on what to about cash. I'll need some cash after I get off the plane and a way to obtain more cash while I'm there.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Been a few years since I was in London. Nothing wrong with the place for a visit, but the people are still tea drinking, gov loving folks, that are obsessed with royalty. Not my type. We used a CC for large purchases, and paid cash for as much as we could. Any bigger bank in your city should be able get you Euros or Pounds. They might have to order it, as it's not in the cash box in the back room, but easily doable. I'd pay for all your coffees, lunches, cab fairs, etc. in cash/pounds - sometimes the exchange rates on CC's are not favorable, or the rate is favorable and they charge you a "convenience" fee instead. The ATM's also spit out Euros or Pounds (depends on where you are), so if you need more cash, you use the ATM just like here, except it's their currency that come out. The exchange rate is figured out by VISA or MC at the time of the transactions - again beware of convenience fees. I'd also tell your bank you will be traveling abroad so they don't shut your card off when they see a charge from Europe and think it's fraud. Stay away from the airport and little booths in town advertising currency exchanges, they usually charge a premium to convert the dollar. Brits are proud of the pound, but most places took Euros too.

I felt very safe there, I will say that about the place. I also bought some "disposable" Swiss Army knives, the smaller ones, blades all less than 2" and never had a problem with security anywhere. Not for personal protection, you pretty much can't defend yourself there, more for typical chores of a pocket knife.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 05/09/24.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We traveled across Scotland last summer. Visa worked for everything we needed. I don't recall needing cash for much of anything but don't get it at the airport stateside or over there, they clip you on the exchange rate.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
From my conversation with a colleague who was in London not all that long ago, it's plastic that gets used most even for small purchases. Tap card and go.

When I was going there in the mid 2000s I had no problem getting cash without getting reamed. My home bank ATM card was associated with several networks recognized over there, so when I pulled cash from a London ATM I got my bank's bank to bank exchange rate which was much better than going to the money changers.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Duh...., you pay by the pound! :-)

IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
okay. It sounds like they've come a long way since I was there last. I won't worry too much. The ATM card is Master Card backed, so I should be able to get cash when I'm there. I'll go to the bank and get a couple hundred pounds before leaving.

Thanks.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've ordered Euros at my local bank. It takes them 3-4 days to get 'em in. Even so, my last few trips over have found me searching for ways to spend cash on the last few days, so I wouldn't have so much to bring back. You really can do most everything with a card.

Check with your bank to see if there are foreign transaction fees on your credit, debit, or both cards. It can run 3%, but the card is still so damned convenient.

I believe Capital One doesn't charge FT fees on their cards, but those [maternal fornicators] provided such a laughably small credit limit that the card would have been unusable. Even after running up the balance & paying it immediately several times across 2 months, they refused to increase the limit for my trip. I informed them (and their awful 3rd world customer service reps) to go [forcefully engage in intercourse with] themselves.

[/rant]

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't England go back to the pound, after they dropped out of the EU ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Didn't England go back to the pound, after they dropped out of the EU ?

Yep.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Great Britain did not ever use the Euro

When I was there (1993) I was fond of the One pound coin.

Last edited by BMT; 05/09/24.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Cc will work fine. Check with yours to see if they have foreign transaction fees. We used one that didn’t obviously. AMEX. Oh, and let them know you will be over there or they might shut your cards down for fraud the first time you use them. We did get a few hundred pounds at the currency exchange bit didn’t need too use cash much. Also, check your cellphone plans ahead of time. You may need to change it up so you don’t get screwed by your carrier. We have Verizon and it was a $10 per day additional charge. You know about the electricity already. Most cell phone power supplies work with 110-240v so all you need is a simple plug converter

Yours in Liberty,

BL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BMT
Great Britain did not ever use the Euro

Yep, and good for them I say

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last time I was in Scotland was 1989, to visit some relatives. Brought a bunch of travelers checks, (Remember those?) and my Visa card. My cousin helped me turn the checks into cash and got me a cash advance on the Visa, so I didn't have to screw around with checks & credit card transactions. Everything was pretty much cash. But that was 1989 and nowadays I bet I could do all that stuff over there again easily using credit/ debit cards. My sister and her husband were over there a few years ago and IIRC, they put everything on the plastic with no problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Be sure to tall your credit card company that you are going to the UK. Makes things a lot smoother. Also take an electric plug converter kit. Their power is not compatible with your American equipment

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Buying foreign currency here is ignorant. Exchange at a currency exchange when you get there.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Be sure to tall your credit card company that you are going to the UK. Makes things a lot smoother. Also take an electric plug converter kit. Their power is not compatible with your American equipment

Call them 2-3 times. They "forget". Ask me why I know. Also, Call when you get off the plane back in USA. Your card may not work in the USA when you get back. Again, ask me why I know.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 80 invisible), 3,264 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,631
Posts18,533,232
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.