Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think they could scale the #1 down like other actions have been made, to lighten it up for certain applications, any thoughts?

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The #1 deals to such a small market compared to other rifle tyypes I don't see a re-design happening to make it smaller and thus being able to offer fewer chamberings in it. That would just reduce the market for the design even less. It would still retain the same levels of manufacturing so costs wouldn't be much less if at all. Very few folks would spend the $700+/- price tag for such a firearms. those that would simply aren't enough to warran the costs of R&D for a mini-#1.
Myself, i'd be all for it as would many others here. It's just not a profitable venture for them and profits are what business are after.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well I guess I can dream eh? Ha! Thanks BlkHawk, you are probably correct.

Maybe if there was a push on SS rifles/hunting like there was archery and smokepoles....perhaps if regulations would give an extra season just for Single Shots....? Nah......not likely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, I think they'd move many 22 Hornets, 218 Bees, 17 HMRs, and 22 rimfires if they'd build a more svelte version. There is great irony in a tiny little centerfire capable of hunting the something not much bigger than twice its weight. At seven or eight pounds, than means your carrying a rathr big and cumbersome rifle in order to hunt rather small critters. I guess if the range is all that matters, it doesn't really matter. I like to hunt with my 1s.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 65BR
I think they could scale the #1 down like other actions have been made, to lighten it up for certain applications, any thoughts?

Actually I think there would be a market for a small Ruger #1 in walk-about varmint calibers. Check out www.littlesharps.com/

They have down sized the Sharps 1874 for the very purpose you suggest and their rifles are in the $3,000 range.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
65BR... I sure would be interested in a smaller #1 say in 7X57 at 6 1/4# bare....To me the #1's are for heavier calibers as they are a heavy rifle...I just got my K1A in 35 Whelen Friday and it is just about the right weight for that cal.....I noticed right off the bat there is not enough drop in the stock to use the open sites with out raising the butt stock high up on the cheek bone....Since I bought it for open site use I'll have to restock it....

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm well aware of that Mini Sharps. Just wish they'd actually start shipping them so they'd be available. I want one in .357 mag so it can be cut for .357 max.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Max sounds cool, my 1894 impresses me with Lil Gun/158's at 2050 fps.....little recoil, nice wallop. 2 ltr water filled coke bottles explode....150 yds offhand with open sights makes fun plinking. Put a pointed ssp in that max to straighten things out further....

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Already have a Handi Rifle in max but a max-Sharps - that is what I really want. If it shot 1/2 as well as the handi Rifle I'd be pleased.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I 70% scale would be about perfect for the small calibers.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I keep thinking 6/6.5/7mm BR, 6.5 Grendel or 47 Lapua, I know not a classic round, thinking someday a Martin Hagn...small action, http://martiniandhagngunmakers.com/actions.htm

2lbs, then nice pretty slim stock, etc. Seems it would make a nice carry gun, lots power and range not needed, would be deer and under... should have kept my 1885 243 Low Wall and rebarreled I guess... Had the right size action and wood but I would rather a hammer less design.

The Hall 'F' model looked like something I could have used, but they stopped mfg, and I did hear extraction difficulty issues....

Would 'settle' for a mini Ruger #1....if only.

Think about it, if they intro'd in Rimfires like the Winchester 1885 series......perhaps they could sell enough to retool, it would make a better sized rimfire action for sure.

Really, doesn't EVERY Ruger #1 fan need some type of rimfire twin? A 327 and 357 would be versatile rounds for plinking to hunting as well......I must live in a different world....mentally.

Guess I need to unbox and de-grease my K1A and be happy....should be Swede!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd love to have one in 32-20!

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You know, as to caliber selection, one might think Ruger would come up with an interchangeable barrel system like the TC rifles.....they sure have been popular.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A mini Ruger would be great for rimfire, hornet etc. I'd be in for a couple.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Seems like the Hornet was as popular if not more than the 223 in the Browning Low Wall, the 221, 17's, and 20's would also likely have a following. A 222 might be a nice classic round also.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I've got a long-term project in the works to make one (1) for myself. No, not easy or cost-effective... just something to keep me busy and hopefully make the guy at the adjacent shooting bench scratch his head. So far all I have is a set of scaled (2/3rds) part and assembly drawings...

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At one time, you could buy scaled down Farquharson actions in the shotgun news.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hello Guys

I'd love a refined "small action" at a price regular folks could afford (no disrespect to the likes of the Hagn action, but its a pipe dream for salaried folks).

IMO it would be a good idea to start with the barrel shank diameter as the limiting factor, the small martini is 0.75, this is a bit too limiting, a .875 would still be pertite and allow for "modern" full pressure loads in chamberings based on the 30-30 case.

I have handled a wonderfully restored "small" Farquharson action. It was found in poor condition under a chicken coop and given (yes given) to a stock-maker of my aquaintance (the lucky bastard). His research showed that it was originally sold as a "ladies target" rifle, and that is what it was restocked and restored to (new case hardening, rust bluing etc.) The calibre was .360 rook. Truly a rifle to dream of.

Perhaps we should form up a group to develop a simple CNC produced action as an "open source" project. Anyone could then download the code and take it to a tool-maker to have the basic action produced.

Cheers - Foster

Southland, New Zealand
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Tentman
Hello Guys

I'd love a refined "small action" at a price regular folks could afford (no disrespect to the likes of the Hagn action, but its a pipe dream for salaried folks)....

Foster,

Fortunately, Martini & Hagn are just far enough from where I live (about 480 miles) to prevent me from driving to Cranbrook and drooling all over their workshop.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind if one of the enterprising replica companies were to introduce small and large Martini actions as well.

smile Stuart

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Ruger took a half-hearted stab at a carbine, the #3, of course. The folks did not buy enough to keep it in the catalog long. A Hornet, Krag and a Gattlig gun chambering an mabey one or two I have forgotton. A gunsmith in PA was rimfire converting #1s. The firing pin stays where is and the block only raises enough to center the rim, very cleaver, that! Bill

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.