Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Ok, running a map for destinations and routes, I'm getting closer to a general plan.

Main areas with camping between...

Kanab UT
Price UT
Starvation res UT
Vernal UT

Then to...

Green river WY
Teton
Yellowstone

Wall creek/Ennis MT
Missoula MT

Then Down the Lochsa river stopping and camping... to Dworshak and Dent acres campground. I'll for sure camp at Powell campground by Lochsa lodge... since it's named after me...

Up in the air mostly is the area from Ennis to Missoula. Would really like to find some stream fishing or small lake. I grew up creek fishing in the high country of Az and then SW Colorado, some of my earliest memories and fondest. Dad would pack us boys up with sleeping bags and a tarp to throw over us and we would hit different areas. One easter we went to colorado and flipped the tarp off us in the morning and it had snowed, we didn't even notice.

I'm not looking for trophy fish, I've caught plenty in my life... just the adventure of it.

Kent

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your pictures remind me of the West Fork of the Black river in the White Mountains growing up.

Have a great trip. Another area of Utah worth checking out is the Mount Nebo area.

Last edited by MikeS; 05/14/24. Reason: Name correction
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Yep, used to fish that when going to Big lake, When we was 14 and 15 my buddy's dad would let us take the truck on the dirt roads and find fishing spots... that and the black river on the rez quite often.

Kent

1 member likes this: MikeS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just left your neck of the woods (Zion NP), home last night. Was wondering where everyone goes when the temp heats up. We had great weather but I've been there in July and it's unbearable.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Air conditioning really changed the dynamic of who's a desert dweller.

That and escaping to the high country on the weekends.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MikeS
Your pictures remind me of the West Fork of the Black river in the White Mountains growing up.

Have a great trip. Another area of Utah worth checking out is the Mount Nebo area.
Hey,

I've fished up that way too!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Kent I have a feeling Tikkanut missed this post. You should get in touch with him. He's a little east of your intended route but not that much, and could (and I'm sure would) show you some spectacular country.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by MikeS

Hey,

I've fished up that way too!

I have to go up to Showlow thursday to do a concrete job.

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by krp
Also I'm not a fly fisherperson... any advice on spinning tackle, even live bait would be appreciated.

Kent

Not sure if you're still looking for advice on tackle. I do a fair amount of lake and small stream fishing for trout. Shimano spinning reels loaded with 4-lb. Trilene XL for most everything except bait fishing, 8-lb. for that.

For lakes I like a light, slow action 7-foot rod for flinging spoons. Kastmasters always work, the 3/8 oz size is heavy enough to cast a good ways but small enough that a 12 inch trout will still take it. They cast really well in the wind too. Little Cleos are also good.

For small streams I like a shorter slow action ultralight rod. Joe's Flies are good for small streams, they're a small spinner with a fly behind it:

https://joesflies.com/

Just a nightcrawler and a small split shot drifted through the deep holes and pockets is probably the most deadly on small streams but if you're not eating the fish it's hard to release 'em without a lot of damage.

Sounds like a fun trip, safe travels.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Thanks for the joe's flies link, I ordered some, kinda like panther martins. Looks like smallmouth like them also.

I've always just flipped rocks for worms creek fishing... used worms or corn on the lakes. But I know in some parts of the country there's rules of artificial only, and it's almost impossible to release a trout that's hooked to it's bung.

I have a box full of kastmasters for strippies and bass, casting or spooning deep in winter.

Trout fishing here I reserve for the grandkids up in the high country camping, they just want to catch a fish, mostly use powerbait, easy for them to use.

4lb test is my mainstay, will go 6 if fishing for bigger bass.

It's the bigger rivers that I don't know the best way to fish up there.

I'm not leaving till July, so still have a lot of time for advice.

Thanks

Kent

IC B3

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
As good of a fisherman I am in my waters... I also know that there's a learning curve in new waters. Local knowledge can reduce that curve. Same with camping spots.

I've received valuable info in this thread, has shaped much of my initial planning... thanks to all.

Kent

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Be sure and document the trip here for all us jealous folks. Have a great time.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by krp
It's the bigger rivers that I don't know the best way to fish up there.

Half the fun is figuring out new water. And stopping in at the local shop to get the low-down on what to use and how to fish it. Seems like every place has a little different technique to learn.

I'm envious here. I plan to do some similar trips after I retire, need to start pondering on the best mobile rig to camp in.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K

one of two 1975 15ft trailers I have.

The wood trailer I built for hunting...

Or I have another one like it with all the stuff still in it, refrigerator even works, bought it for 800bucks as is and was surprised everything worked except the furnace. Has a toilet and holding tank but no shower.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K

I knew I had a picture of both somewhere.

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, I've seen the pics, that is a nice rug with the wood.

$800? Give that thing back, you stole it!

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yep, I've seen the pics, that is a nice rug with the wood.

$800? Give that thing back, you stole it!

It's funny, I paid 800 bucks for each, one in June of '19 and the other in Sept. The wood trailer had already been gutted and kinda redone, I eventually gutted all that and made it the wood trailer.

The other I was up on an archery elk hunt for a buddy and it came up for sale on the local hunting site. When I got back it was still for sale so I went and looked then bought it. I was shocked it was in such good shape and everything worked, I took it on my own cow elk hunt I had that Oct, I have only one picture of the inside from that time.

I want to repaint it vintage style, the ceiling is hanging a bit in one place, want to rebuild the roof rafters like I did the wood trailer, reinsulate and receiling. Leave all the appliances and cabinets which are in great shape, the closet and toilet room also.

I love the wood trailer for hunting and getting away to the back country. But for run and gunning a few months, the other one may be the wiser choice... sentiment vs function... not sure yet.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KRP,

Looking at your route, I'd add the Swan Valley in Idaho to your list. We'll be hanging out there for about a week this summer en-route to points further north.

Like the washer tub "fire pit" in your picture. Reminds me I need to scrounge up another one...

Mike

Last edited by MikeS; 05/16/24.
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Over a month out before hitting the trail... had an open day to tune up my fishing skills.

Picked up a couple stripes here and there, with a couple largemouth, then cats would come in and move them out, so we'd have to move, F'n cats just slime our lines.

Finally at 10 we hit the mother load and caught 40 in 30 minutes. Brother was counting because when it's fast you lose count and end up with a bunch more than you want to fillet. He was dead on at 50 when we transferred them from the livewell.

Icing up some of my half to fry in about an hour.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, Alan_C, AdventureBound, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 18 invisible), 14,811 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,983
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.