Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Melvin
"1.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms
Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice. "

You left off the rest of that regulation about the ATF
Of course they aren't allowed to give opinions on ATF regulations! But they are certainly able to give postal regulations. The above regulation posted is talking about whether it is legal under ATF regulations, which of course they can't comment on.
I'm definitely NOT taking up for the P.O. I have an inquiry in now for an official ruling, which I will definetly print and keep with me.
Melvin
No, I didn't "leave off" anything. The point you're missing is you're getting fed a line of crap from some self-important idiot. I've given a link to the USPS' official policy as well as the quote regarding it. You and the USPS employee can look up the regulations TOGETHER in the domestic mail manual. You're welcome to look up the BATFE's regulations regarding the shipment of firearms and they'll tell you the same thing. Why are you making this so hard on yourself? confused

Any BATFE office is going to quote you this:

"(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]"

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

Read. Comprehend. Then act. In that order.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rocky, I found your rifle. Please give me a call at the number I gave you in the PM.

Jeff

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks Jeff
I contacted the receiving party and he is going to get his FFL Dealer to sign for it. Im happy to get this resolved without having to file a insurance claim and all that.
You are one hell of a guy.
Thanks agin.
ROCKY

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HOGBUSTER
Thanks Jeff
I contacted the receiving party and he is going to get his FFL Dealer to sign for it. Im happy to get this resolved without having to file a insurance claim and all that.
Thanks agin.
ROCKY
So, uh, what was the deal here? confused

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Thanks Jeff
Thanks agin.
ROCKY

You have to know the secret handshake whistle

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen Jeff stepup before. SUPER!!.

Jeff,
BTW- Has USPS changed regulations? I ship LOTS of stuff and I have two rifles that need to leave in the next week.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Daveh
I've seen Jeff stepup before. SUPER!!.

Jeff,
BTW- Has USPS changed regulations? I ship LOTS of stuff and I have two rifles that need to leave in the next week.

Dave

The regulations haven't changed. You can still ship long guns.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hello Ngrumba
Im currious why the item in question was never scanned as being received, at the final destination?
What does Ngrumba mean or stand for? Sounds AFRICAN to me!
Thanks agin for your help on this situation.
Rocky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Thanks Jeff
Thanks agin.
ROCKY
You have to know the secret handshake whistle
Uh-huh. Sounds like there might be a little more to this story than meets the eye. confused

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello Ngrumba
Im currious why the item in question was never scanned as being received, at the final destination?
What does Ngrumba mean or stand for? Sounds AFRICAN to me!
Thanks agin for your help on this situation.
Rocky

Ngrumba = "the roar of a Lion" - name given to me by trackers on my first safari.

Don't know why it wasn't scanned. Should have been.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have talked to the individual who bought the rifle in question an said that he will get in touch with his FFL this evening and sign for the rifle. Keep your powder dry, and your nose to the wind, may the gods be with you on your next SAFARI.
Sincerely ROCKY

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Well, after I couldn't ship my rifle, I got a friend who has an FFL to ship it. That was last Wed., 01/09/08. Sent it Priority with delivery confirmation, insured for $2000. As of today, it hasn't arrived at it's destination in Colorado. That's one week for a supposedly 2 or 3 day delivery.I know there was a weekend in there, but does the mail not move at all on weekends????????!!! I paid $56 for shipping, and I think it could have gotten there regular mail in that time.
Will keeep you posted.
Jeff, I may need your help also!!!!!
Melvin

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Sent it Priority with delivery confirmation,....

....That's one week for a supposedly 2 or 3 day delivery.

Priority Mail is very unpredictable, and more of a marketing gimmick than a true "service".

Pay extra with FedEx for overnight, and you get a guarantee, with tracking. Pay extra for Priority, and find out that all it really "is", is a 2 to 3 day "average", with no guarantee, and no way to follow it, unless you want to pay even more for some sort of tracking.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
After this, I will no longer ship a gun. Period! When I offered this rifle for sale, I put in the ad, local sale only. I let a guy in Australia talk me into shipping it to an exporter in Colorado, to be shipped to him. I reluctantly agreed.
It's just too much hassle and worry, no matter what shipper you use, and I will not go through this again. Not to mention the exorbitant costs they want to ship.
Melvin

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I gotta agree with you Melvin.

My last couple experiences haven't been great, and have soured me on shipping guns.

I'll still ship scopes, parts, etc, but I think after this, my gun sales are just going to be local. Too much hassle and expense to make it worthwhile any more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After this, I will no longer ship a gun.
Good plan. You should just give up. Tuck your tail between your legs and go home. tired

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
You know, there are some people that try hard to be A**holes, and then there are some to whom it just comes naturally!
Melvin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know, there are some people that try hard to be A**holes, and then there are some to whom it just comes naturally!
Melvin
And there are some people who are weak-willed. You really should just give up on shipping a firearm. It's obviously much too difficult a task for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not trying to talk anyone into doing anything they don't want to but I will say this about USPS. As most guys on here know I buy and sell a lot of stuff to try out. I ship as much stuff privately as what everyone can see and I have been VERY satisfied with USPS Priority. In all honesty I have probably shipped 200 items in the last year or year and a half and all but 2 arrived in 5 days or less. One stock took 13-14 days for no known reason and a rifle took 5 days. All the rest took 2-3 days. This is rifles, stocks and optics. I alwasys package well and make my own label in Excel, large and easy to read. I know full well that stuff happens but I don't think it's the norm. I DO NOT use parcel though because it can be 7-10 days I don't like it to drag out that long.

It helps that my PO folks are pretty good people too.....
My .02
Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I agree, some postal employees do not scan packages as they should. I mailed a rifle, priority, to MT from AZ a year ago. Tried to track it using the on-line tracking service. The package was scanned as received, never scanned delivered, or any point in between AZ and MT. I called the recipient in MT and was told that yes the package had been delivered, on time and in good shape. I then called the Postmaster in MT, mysteriously the package was scanned into the sytem, as delivered, the next day.

I still prefer Priority mail to other means, and have received good service on all but a few shipments. Those few have been breath taking though, and generally assiciated with human failing. That's just the odds associated with human transactions.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 22magnut, 257 mag, 44 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,568
Posts18,510,712
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.