Print Thread
Hop To
#1958220 01/21/08
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I'm going to get a Sat radio set-up for use in my boat/camper/truck. Unsure which provider to use. I'm in Canada and often waaaaay off the beaten track. Is one company better than the other?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i like Sirius..........but then im kinda partial to the Maxim channel....those guys and gals crack me up grin prolly a useless arguement as i understand they will be one in the same company shortly.....but its my understanding Sirius uses more satilites than XM so the channels generally come in with better quality

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One or the other is better in northern latitudes (more satelites). Other than that, look at the channels. I have Sirius, and listen most to Bloomberg, NRA radio, and NPR. So far, I've managed to miss Howard Stern, so I've not had to puke on the radio..... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look up the channels is all I can say. I have XM and I like it. Of course it came with the truck. I like it for the MLB package. Sirius has the NFL games tho..so you can't get both. Sirius also has NASCAR so I wish I had that....

Otto is my co-pilot.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Having had XM with the Dish Network and now Sirius with Dish, Sirius's tv package is more tuned to Rock and Xm had a better variety. No idea what it is like on the radio end. Gianni

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have Sirius (lifetime subscriber) and my wife has XM. Flip a coin as they're both comparable with 150+ music, news, sports selections. Stock holders voted on a merger, as the FCC has to approve. google search will give the details.

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com - Cajun Seasoning with a Southwest Flare

Low sodium, No MSG, infused with smoked chipotle peppers

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'v had both and prefer Sirius due to NBA Audio League pass,the music and comedy programing. Being in Canada you're likely to get better reception with Sirius as XMs sats are set up more for reception in the US. The link below shows coverage areas.
http://www.dogstarradios.com/sirasasecoma.html

Jeff

I'm NOT the JScottRupp of Wolfe Publishing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I rarely listen to them so IMHO neither is worth it.. I've had sirius for years via Dish Network. I've maybe listened for an hour, total.

I've had XM on the Santa Fe for one year. Even at $6.95/mo., it's not worth it since I may have it on maybe one hour/mo.

I've canceled it.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We ended up with XM since it came with one vehicle and when we got a portable unit for the other I didn't want to manage two accounts. Very happy with it. Since Sirius and XM appear to be merging I'm not sure it matters much in the long run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM/Sirius_merger

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
I rarely listen to them so IMHO neither is worth it.. I've had sirius for years via Dish Network. I've maybe listened for an hour, total.

I've had XM on the Santa Fe for one year. Even at $6.95/mo., it's not worth it since I may have it on maybe one hour/mo.

I've canceled it.

since you have lived in the bigger cities i can understand that.......but i kinda like being able to travel and listen to the same radio program......when yah live in BFE satellite radio defiantly has its advantages.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I use XM, dont' know much about SIRUS.

I only listed to Channel 12: X Country (Cross Country) whistle

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rattler

since you have lived in the bigger cities i can understand that.......but i kinda like being able to travel and listen to the same radio program......when yah live in BFE satellite radio defiantly has its advantages.

An excellent point I neglected to note the first time... I know my choices will be much more limited after the move and I'll have to consider alternatives at that time...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Uhm..I maybe wrong, but I thought XM bought out Sirius.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
I know my choices will be much more limited after the move...
Oh yeah!! laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 12 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,526
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.