Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
6guntom Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I hooked up a new computer today and I thought i'd ask the tech savvy their preferance on anti virus software. I should get a free one from Verizon, but it won't download without errors.
Thanks in advance,
Tom

You always "carry" for the same reason you know CPR. You never know when you'll need it, but when you do, you REALLY need it!
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Try Avast! Works great and the price is right for the home version.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Try the free version of AVG, Works great. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't the free version a 30 day trial, I think after that you have to purchase it, no?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No, at least not for home use. I don't know about at work. He might have to pay for it using it there. If it's on one computer at work and not the whole fleet, dunno.

I will second AVG. I have used Avast!, Panda, Norton and McAfee. Norton used to be really good, but it got bigger and bigger and now it is just a resource hog. Panda is good but their tech support leaves a lot to be desired in a paid subscriber-type program. McAfee sucks as bad or worse than Norton. I don't know about Trend-Micro's program. I forget their name for it. Truly free or non-free, AVG is the best I've used. It is very trouble free. I can't say much about the free Avast because I used it on an old computer that really didn't have enough torque to be using it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm running the spyware program, and it was labeled as free but then after 30 days I got the pop-up. I'm running the spyware along side my symantec.

I think this will be my last year with the Norton, their subscriptions are only about $10 cheaper than their new software, they are just getting too pricey.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AVAST

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 4xbear
Try the free version of AVG, Works great. Bear

I ain't computer savvy--not by a long shot. But based on the recommendation by some of the Generation X'ers computer geeks, I'm running AVG free software now, and it seems to be working fine...

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Been running AVG "free" for 5 years,works fine!

DC Miller
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My guess is that AVG is getting to be as popular as Norton and may have even surpassed it. I don't run a spyware program or even a real firewall anymore. I used to run the Windows Beta Spyware program and also Zone Alarm. Don't need either anymore because I've got a hardware firewall from my ISP. I just run Ad Aware infrequently and also Spybot. Old-school, but it works when you've got a good ISP.

IC B3

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What OS? ClamAV is available for most windows versions. Freeware.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If you already have Norton this is a deal, if not I would not use it.. It is a bear to uninstall

http://www.buy.com/prod/norton-anti...ta-traveler-usb/q/loc/105/206531722.html

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Zone Alarm is a top rated av, as is PC Shield. Both have top heuristics and steady updates with excellent 24/7 support. Norton and McAfee are becoming clunky and have poor customer relations and poor (i.e. expensive) support. AVG is free (there is a paid version) but its ability to catch newer viruses may not be as good as others. F-secure (Kaspersky) is another top-rated av. I have run on various computers (within the past two years), Zone Alarm, PC Shield, Norton and F-secure. All work, but Norton was the most problematic. Zone Alarm was the easiest to work with and caught the most viruses. Spyware Doctor has recently included an av with their anti-malware program. It seems to work well. Reviews on C-Net are often worth reading if they are recent.

Where did you say we are going? And why are we in this handbasket?
6guntom Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks all for the usual prompt and knowledgeable advice. Will start by looking at AVG, Avast!, Zone Alarm and try to remember to post results.
Thanks All!
Tom

You always "carry" for the same reason you know CPR. You never know when you'll need it, but when you do, you REALLY need it!
6guntom Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
AVG it is.
Easy to install, free at home.
We shall see.
Thanks to everyone for the input!
Tom

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
http://www.bitdefender.com/

I had nothing but trouble with Norton. Damn program slowed my NEW PC to a crawl.

My son is a Computer Science major and his group swears by Bit Defender. He installed it on my machine and it has been fantastic.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
At risk of rubbing it in, we haven't used any anti-virus or anti-spyware programs for the last 3 years. We have 4 iMacs and one MacBook. Our kids and my wife use the iMacs and they will go everywhere without regards to computer safety. Zero problems.

The virus problems that plague the PC world is one of the main reasons we left them in the ditch. The other reason was we were getting tired of compatibility issues and dealing with Brad from India (I'm sure that was his real name).

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I currently run AVG with the spyware protection ... it seems to work well enough, at least as good as Norton and McAfee did ...

Everyone says that AVG uses less overhead/resources than the other 'big' AV programs ... but I can't really see much of a difference. AVG seems to kinda 'hog' things as well, but it does run fine and keeps the PC clean - as it should.

-WGM-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want some good, free software, try Spybot - Search and Destroy. It works great, in a fairly recent issue of Popular Mechanics, I believe the editors chose it over Norton.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use safe computing practices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (270wsmnutt, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 308xray, 3040Krag, 270cowboy, 56 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,024
Posts18,520,825
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.